in the kitchen with: yvette marquez-sharpnack’s mango cheesecake flan

This week’s recipe is by graphic designer and cookbook author Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack. Yvette, together with her sister and mother, has spent the past few years documenting and collecting her family’s recipes in order to produce an authentic Mexican cookbook. The end result is a beautifully photographed collection of recipes, which will be released this autumn and is already getting positive reviews! Yvette’s Mango Cheesecake Flan has become my husband’s favorite dessert (after anything chocolate, of course!). He said it was so good, it was like a drug, and he just couldn’t stop eating it (and yes, in fewer than four days, he ate the whole thing by himself). It is extremely easy to make, and you can even dress it up depending on the type of tin you use. I used a very simple ring, though Yvette uses a more beautiful bundt pan. Whichever you choose, the shape won’t last long — this dessert will disappear in minutes. If you’d like to try another type of flan, have a look at Lorena Barrezueta’s Coconut Flan in our archives. — Kristina

About Yvette: Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack was born and raised in El Paso, Texas, and learned to cook from her mother and her grandmother, Jesusita Mendias-Soza, whose hospitality and irresistible Mexican recipes were legendary among family and friends. With her sister, Veronica, and mother, Evangelina, she started the Muy Bueno Cookbook blog to celebrate and preserve their family’s special culinary heritage. The blog and recipes have been featured in Latina Magazine and the websites of Paula Deen, the Pioneer Woman, SAVEUR and Gourmet. Though Yvette now resides in Denver, Colorado, Veronica lives in Germany, and Evangelina remains in her hometown, the three meet as often as possible to share the delicious food and steadfast family bond that inspired Muy Bueno.

See Yvette’s recipe after the jump . . .

Mango Cheesecake Flan

• 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups mango puree, divided

Preparation

1. Combine the mango puree ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth and thick.

2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 10-inch bundt pan with cooking spray.

3. Cook sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Swirl the pan for 5 to 7 minutes or until melted and medium-brown in color. Drizzle the sugar mixture into the bundt pan, and then swirl the caramelized sugar around to coat the bottom of the pan. (Because of the temperature change when coating the bundt pan, the sugar may harden quickly. Don’t worry; once the flan is added and baked, it will liquefy into a beautiful golden syrup.)

4. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Reduce speed to low, add eggs and egg yolks, and beat until well blended. Slowly add all three milks and the vanilla, and beat at low speed for 1 minute.

5. Add 1 1/2 cups of mango puree and continue to mix for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour the mixture into a prepared bundt pan. (Mixture may be slightly lumpy. If you want a smooth flan, strain the mixture before you pour it into the bundt pan.)

6. Place bundt pan in a roasting pan. Place the roasting pan on the center rack of the oven and add hot water to the roasting pan halfway up the sides of the bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the edges are set (the center may not be set).

7. Remove roasting pan from oven and remove bundt pan from water. Place on a wire rack and let cool completely for at least 1 hour.

8. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight.

9. Carefully run a butter knife around the edges to loosen, and invert the flan onto a serving platter.

10. Decorate the plate with mango puree. Slice the cheesecake flan and place it on the puree. Sprinkle fresh lemon zest over the slice for an added punch of fresh citrus flavor. Garnish the plate with mango slices.

Why Yvette Loves This Recipe

Ripe mangos, my favorite fruit, were filling the air in my kitchen with their sweet, irresistible aroma, and I was inspired to try and make a cheesecake flan. It’s the perfect flan for the first-time flan maker. The cream cheese helps firm the dessert, making it less intimidating to invert onto a serving platter. It’s a rich and creamy dessert, and the amber sauce makes for a striking presentation. The added dimension of the lemon zest really intensifies the flavors of this dessert with a great citrus kick. It is not overly sweet, and the mango makes it refreshing and light. You’ll want to keep this recipe in mind when it’s time to wow guests. Que Rico!

1. Marnie says:

Wow…I love flan and this sounds heavenly!!

2. Aislinn says:

ooo..looks so Yummy!

3. vangie says:

Oh my, this looks so delicious, have to try it. Now that mangos are in full swing

4. Monica says:

Wow. This looks and sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Yum!

5. Oh Yvette! this dessert sounds flan-tastic…. I am sitting here eating Mangos with chile and lemon right now, but wishing I had this dessert instead. I’ll just drool and lick my screen. :)

6. claire says:

This is making my knees weak! Thanks for sharing the recipe and for the link to their cookbook/blog — another one to add to my list. :)

7. Mimi says:

It sounds delicious, however, Flan is not of Mexican origin rather it originated in Spain.

8. Two of my absolutely favorite desserts in one! I LOVE IT!!

9. Cindy says:

Wow this looks scrumptious! Flan has always been my favorite and looks so easy to make! Can’t wait to make this for my family :)

10. Jo says:

Another amazing recipe from these three beautiful woman! Excited to try it (:

11. Cynthia says:

Mmmm, so yummy ! Tried this recipe last night and came out amazing !!! Keep them coming !!

12. Bill says:

Looks awesome, I’ll have to share this with my wife… (I’m not the best chef around)

13. Will says:

Looks awesome, I’ll have to share this with my wife…(I’m not the best chef away from the grill).

14. gretchen says:

mmmm, mango! can’t wait to taste this one.

15. Bernie says:

Holy Mackeral. My mouth is watering!!!

16. Kristina says:

Hi Mimi! Thank you for pointing out the origins of ‘flan’. Yvette has indeed written a Mexican cookbook, but this recipe is not from her cookbook. Her ‘mango cheesecake flan’ is simply one of her favorite recipes, and it is an adaptation of flan with the addition of cream cheese.

Kristina

17. Amado Reyes says:

This is a perfect recipe as I’ve just bought a dozen mangoes from the market and wondering what to do rather than eating them plainly.. reminded me of my late mothers speciality ‘Leche Flan’.

18. Rachel says:

Double mm… Beautiful.

19. Bren says:

I’m allergic to mangos. Is there another fruit I can use?

20. kristina says:

Hi Bren,

Try the coconut flan, or maybe just plain? Otherwise you might try to find a fruit with the same type of flesh as the mango, perhaps a peach– just make sure it’s not too watery!

Kristina

21. Tracy says:

Not crazy about mango-flavored anything, but I like cheesecake and love flan, so I’d definitely give this a try – especially knowing it’s from the ladies of Muy Bueno Cookbook! Looks fantastic.

22. Finally! It’s here! Been waiting for this flan! Looks great. And congrats on the feature here at D*S. Looove this site, too!

23. Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. Also thank you Kristina for sharing your space with us and welcoming our recipe with open arms. I love how you styled everything — Great photos and so happy to hear your husband loved it ;)

Besos from the three of us!
    Yvette + Vangie + Veronica

24. You’re a mad genius. Mango, cheesecake, and flan in one dessert? Sounds so delicious. I’m bringing this to our next mommy happy hour.

25. Oh man – I never knew how much I needed this in my life! yum. :-)

26. Yvette says:

I’m Yvette too! And this looks fantastic.

27. Andrea Gutierrez says:

Flan might have originated in Spain but it is an undeniably “authentic” part of Mexican cuisine.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

28. I’ve eaten so many flans in the 25 years I have lived in Mexico, but never mango! Thank you so much for this recipe. I’ll definitely try it before the end of mango season!

29. Sandra says:

Oh dear god! I’ve just had some and… It’s refreshingly mangoish, it’s heavenly cheesy and it’s delicate like a proper flan… I’m literally afraid to enter the kitchen, because I know there’s more in the fridge! Amazing! :)

30. Francisco J. Gutierrez says:

Almost “Too Good to be True”, I love Mango, I love Cheesecake and I love Flan…Sounds and Looks So Delicious, I gotta try it Soon…Mmm!

31. Diya says:

I made your mango flan cheesecake it is really came out great. Thank you for sharing your recipe

32. Rosie says:

Pls clarify for me. The list of ingredients says 1 1/2 c of mango purée, divided. Then in the recipe, it says to add 1 1/2 c of mango purée on the egg batter. Is this right? So is the mango purée used for serving is separate from the 1 1/2 c originally needed? Thanks.

33. Naomi says:

Hi Yvette, Your recipe sounds awesome, how ever do you have to use champagne mangos exclusively?? Please, let me know, I would love to try this awesome recipe. Thank you.

34. ruslan says: