Current Obsessions: Art Scarves

I’ve always been a huge fan of objects that cross the boundary between art and furniture, and I find the idea of mixing art and fashion equally appealing. Combining art, fashion and home decor? Consider me obsessed. I’ve been noticing a few trends in scarves lately: big, bold patterns; painterly and photographic imagery; and exaggerated scale. There are so many beautiful giant scarves on the market right now, and I believe all of them would make amazing art for your walls.

I bought this Hex Dot Scarf from Salvor Projects (shown above) on Fab a while back and have been so happy with it ever since. I like to move it from room to room, and occasionally I take it down to wear for special occasions and then just tack it back up the next day! Whether you are looking ahead to gift-giving season or you’re in the market for something truly special to add to your wardrobe or your walls, I want to make a plug for these incredibly vivid, artful scarves. — Kate

Clipper Scarf from Louisa Parra. It’s not available online yet, but should be coming soon. You can shop her first collection here.

Light as a Feather: Meteor Scarf by Fieldguided. Unfortunately this style is sold out right now, but it’s my favorite, so I had to include it! You can see the full collection of scarves here.

These super-saturated collage scarves by Sophie Duran look amazing printed on lush velvet. There’s nothing tacky about these velvet artworks; they are definitely the coolest use of velvet I’ve ever seen. Her scarves have amazing names, too: This one is called “Aurora of the Hazy Woods.

The full post (and more scarves) continues after the jump . . .

Folded Paper Furoshiki in Black by Link Collective. Technically this is a printed Furoshiki, but I’m counting it in my art-scarf collection because I think it would look equally amazing on a wall, wrapped around a package or gift or draped around your neck. You can see the full collection on the Link Collective Etsy shop, and there is a great behind the scenes look at how these are made on Spoon & Tamago.

Matterhorn Scarf by Milleneufcentquatrevingtquatre. I’ve been coveting a scarf from this designer (whose name ties my tongue in knots) for a few years, but sadly they are still too luxurious for my modest art/wardrobe budget. However, I saw one of these in person at Frances May, and I can attest to their quality. They are achingly beautiful and wonderful to the touch. If you fall in love with one of the patterns, they do seem worth the investment.

California Poems Print Scarf by Leah Goren. I love the look of large lettering in almost any context, and I think this lovely loopy cursive would look amazing tacked up on a wall.

Painted Print Pastels Scarf from Hui Hui. This one is a true art scarf — a painting translated into fabric. The colors are so vivid; I would definitely want to put this one in a place where I could easily snatch it down to wear from time to time.

4-E Polaroid Scarf by Philippe Roucou. I could write an entirely separate post about how much I love photographic transfers onto different materials, but I’ll spare you and just leave it at this: I doubt that you would ever regret this purchase. This scarf would always be a super chic addition to a wardrobe, and if you were to frame it, I think this could easily be as visually striking and elegant as any piece of fine art.

1. sara lim says:

love! i’ve found scarves that “tell a story” in vintage shops; a green cheetah print with a cheetah nestled in it, an old wimbledon set illustration…my favorites here are the Matterhhorn and Aurora of the Hazy Woods. great post!

2. Laura says:

Beautiful! I love the one by Hui Hui.

3. Ooh – fabo idea! They’d be so easy to switch out, and then you could wear the ones that aren’t on display.

4. YES THESE ARE SO AWESOME I really want one of the Fieldguided ones

5. Annie Fair says:

Those are lovely, but I think you need to include Sophia Rogge’s coral scarves. http://www.sophiarogge.com/
    The artist coverts her paintings into silk scarves and donates 10% of profits to coral conservation.

6. I love this idea–can’t wait to dig into my vintage scarf collection :)

7. RossLab says:

I simply adore scarves. That California Poem scarf was already one of my favorites… I’ll take this as a sign and I will buy myself a midsummer present!

8. Melissa DeLong says:

I love the idea of using my scarves as art but wonder how to “hang” them without damaging the material. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

9. Ang says:

These are beautiful. I had the same exact question: how to hang them?

10. Kate, I agree. This is the perfect cross between fashion, art and home decor! The range of art scarves is amazing and they’d fabulous on a wall or draped over a chair too, maybe even a table. Wonderful idea! Yes, and would be great for the gift giving season coming up!

11. Love these Kate! You might also really like the Pastel Zoo Collection, a collaboration between Bay & Fyfe and Australian musician turned artist Daimon Downey (ex Sneaky Sound System). You can see & buy them here >> http://www.everythingbegins.com/bay-fyfe.html

12. Melissa I’ve seen Hermes ones before in large box frames – they look fantastic!

13. Girlie says:

I too have been coveting one on this list. Perhaps it is a sign!

14. Bonnie says:

Love this post! I am especially enamored with the Sophie Duran beauties, and I can’t afford those either..

15. I adore the silk media ~ these are all very beautiful and modern examples of what can be done with it. Thanks! Heidi

16. Abby says:

One of my personal favorites Alexandra Bircken’s silk scarf with a hair print: http://www.oogaboogastore.com/shop/art/Scarves/Bircken-BlondieScarf.html.

Love the Leah Goren one too! The text is great.

17. steph says:

So beautifull! I cant remember what brand or what they are called, but i have a set of magnets that are sold for poster and fabric hanging. They have a small metal plate with adhesive to stick on the wall and then a simple but super strong magnet that holds your scarf inplace without any pin holes. Hopefully you can find them at an art supplies store

18. Alexa Andrews says:

Wow! These are amazing. You should check out the work of my friend, Maria Jarvis Darby, and her amazing art scarves at http://www.katedesign.com. My favorite is the Seahorse! The movement of these pieces adds extra pizzazz to basic scarves – something to spice up any outfit!

19. Amber Kane says:

My favorite is the second one, the colors and pattern are wonderful. I always love finding great statement pieces that have more than one use. Scarves are so wonderful as they are great to wear, as well as wonderful accessories for the home. There is something wonderfully comforting about textiles, and lots of them!

20. Marti says:

Thanks for introducing me to the Link Collective! I ordered the furoshiki you featured and built a simple frame to display it: http://bit.ly/125nKDN

21. goodnightowl says:

The Folded paper and clipper scarfs are my fav. Love the color and design of the clipper scarf.