For this week’s Biz Ladies post, I decided to write something of my own. Now that those of you reading know a bit about how my life has changed over the past year and a half, I feel more comfortable talking about why I’ve been focusing on changing the way I work and live to be in better balance.
The phrase “Work/Life Balance” gets thrown around a lot, and frankly most people seem to have given up on the concept. So many of us wear our workaholic status as a badge of pride, and it’s time for that to change. It’s true that starting a business involves late nights and sacrifices, but when it starts to negatively affect your life outside the office, it’s time to take a step back.
So for today’s Biz Ladies, I decided to do a solo radio show in which I discuss my personal process of finding balance and share some of the challenges I’ve faced (and still face) along the way. In this brief 30-minute piece, I talk about:
- Why work/life balance is so important for this time/niche
- The challenges we all face (and why people aren’t always honest about them)
- Overcoming the “should” voices regarding your life and business and your real interests, desires and needs
- Defining your own personal goals
- Making lists of achievable steps
- Dealing with the consequences (emotional and practical) and the fear of making changes
- Building a support group to act as a fail-safe for your new hopes and changes
- Finding idols/role models
- The importance of sleep, relaxation and REAL vacations
I hope those of you struggling with this issue will take the time to listen and hopefully share your own ideas, tips and struggles in the comment section below. This is a really crucial issue for bloggers, artists and business-owners alike, and the sooner we’re honest about the struggle, the sooner we can help each other get back to a place that feels happier, more present and balanced. Thanks so much to everyone who inspired this podcast and helped me along the way, and thanks to all of you who took/will take the time to listen and share your own stories. xo, grace
WAYS TO LISTEN