weekly wrap up + tom fruin’s watertower

I had heard that Brooklyn is a city full of artists, but it wasn’t until I explored it firsthand when visiting Amy and Grace earlier this year that I discovered what that means. You can literally see how the old, raw cityscape has inspired an insane amount of creativity among its residents; there are murals, sculptures and art happenings everywhere you turn . . . it’s very cool.

When I visit Brooklyn in the fall for another work trip, I am definitely going to make an effort to consume as much art as possible, and that includes going to see Watertower by artist Tom Fruin. Using locally sourced steel and plexiglass from places like BuildItGreen! (a D*S fave) and old sign shops, Fruin has created an incredible monument to the city of Brooklyn. The tower is lit by the sun during the day, but you can also admire the tower at night when programmed light sequences glow from within. The tower is located on the rooftop of 20 Jay Street; according to the press release, the prime viewing locations are the Brooklyn Bridge Park at Washington Street and the Manhattan Bridge bike path.

We’re headed out to enjoy the weekend and attempt to beat the heat (on both coasts). If anyone gets a chance to view this beautiful artwork in person, I’m demanding a full report on Monday :) You can read the highlights of the week and see more shots of Watertower below. Have a great weekend everyone! — Kate

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

1. Maureen says:

Thanks for the info on the watertower! I spotted this just yesterday on a rare trip to DUMBO, but thought it was covered in elaborate graffiti. Next time I’ll stop by at night to check it out in all its electrified glory.

2. Anni says:

This is so beautiful! I feel like I need to plan another trip out to Brooklyn just to see it!

3. Jo says:

This is one of the most beautiful and vibrant things I’ve seen in a while. Gorgeous.

4. Jamie Thomas says:

That has to be the greatest display of artistic ability on a public structure that I have ever seen. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful work of art with us!

5. kathryn says:

hmmm…never once thought about visiting Brooklyn before…but this is SO awesome…will have to now put Brooklyn on my list of things to see in the US!!!

6. Becca says:

Oh my gosh! SO cool. I actually work in 20 Jay St. but have been on vacation! I am going to have to check this out on Monday.

7. Alexandra says:

My list of things to visit/see in Brooklyn keeps growing and growing!

8. mosey says:

wow, this is absolutely beautiful! I love the water towers around Brooklyn and def need to take a look at this special one. Thanks for sharing it!

9. How absolutely magical! A must see!

10. Hailey M says:

Ahh! Just like Maureen, I spotted this just the other day, also on a rare trip to Dumbo – and also thought it was just beautiful graffiti. It definitely caught my eye multiple times while we chilled out at the Brooklyn Bridge Park. Thanks for sharing this!

11. Azil says:

I would love to see this at nighttime!

12. Fashion-isha says:

This is amazing I must go see this!! Have a wonderful Sunday and thanks for sharing!

13. Ashik says:

this used to be my view from 133 water street (my apartment in DUMBO). great to see that art and creativity never ceases…

14. barb kenner says:

Wow – a fellow building mate – I work at 20 Jay also….

15. Sarah says:

I get to pass this every day on the subway. Obsessed!

16. Jess says:

The last time I visited NYC, I rarely left Brooklyn, felt so comfortable there. Now I have to go back to look for this stunning piece of art. :)

17. Lisa says:

That is so gorgeous.

18. Jo St.Clair says:

I have been lucky to very briefly visit NYC but sadly before that beautiful glass tower was built – it melted my heart!

19. Claire says:

Hi there, I’m in Australia (having just moved home from NYC) and would really like to purchase a photograph/print of Tom Fruins water tank by photographer Robert Banat. I’m having no luck locating a site I can purchase from? Neither artist seems to have these images for sale on their sites? Any ideas? Thanks so much!