sneak peek: winifred gundeck

by

Jewelry designer Winifred Gundeck (better known as Winifred Grace) and her filmmaker husband, Benjamin Fingerhut, live in a charming flat in the Andersonville neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. The two work from home, which makes juggling work and parenting the latest addition to the family — six-month-old Alexander William — much easier. In Winifred’s own work and life, she is inspired by different cultures and the artisanal works from those countries. (In August, they’re launching a lower priced line of simple everyday pieces produced in a workshop in Mexico that teaches a trade to local women.) She loves to infuse a few clean, modern lines into her home to offset the otherwise bohemian feel of her aesthetic. Plants are another way that Winifred loves to add warmth, texture and color to the home (but her trick is to buy plants that are easy to take care of). Thanks so much, Winne! — Anne

Image above: This apartment is much darker overall than I am used to, so for this reason, the sunroom is my most favorite room in the house. The sofa is from Jayson Home & Garden, pillows are from Mexico & West Elm, and the tapestry is from India. The figure in the back is a bronze sculpture that was made by my grandmother in the ’60s in San Miguel de Allende. The rug is Japanese Art Deco.

Image above: This chair was the very first piece of furniture my parents ever bought, and it is now my favorite piece of furniture, with the original upholstery. The watercolor above the plant was painted by my grandmother of her mother’s house in Fort Lauderdale. The hand-painted low side table is from India, and the pillows are from Mexico and West Elm. Since this apartment is a rental, I have no idea what paint color this is, but the darker grey is a nice change from the all-white apartment we lived in previously.

See more inside Winifred and Benjamin’s Chicago home after the jump . . .

Image above: This wall is the perfect place for a gallery of my favorite art. Some highlights include a flat penny from Indiana (where my husband is from), a black and white print from a dear friend for our wedding, a silk-screened tree full of owls from my grandparents, and my favorite oil painting of a beach scene in Michigan. The sectional is from Jayson Home & Garden.

Image above: This is a detail shot of our sunroom. The white chinoiserie pillow is from Dwell Studio, the hat is from J. Crew, the teak rope seat chair is from my grandparents, and the bronze candlestick holder was a gift from my talented interior-designer friend, Ruth Stebbins.

Image above: Our TV and all other electronic equipment are stored here in this teak armoire (hence all the cords), which was the first piece of furniture I ever acquired. The Chinese chair came from my parents, and the beautiful painting of the magnolia bloom in a bowl was done by my gifted friend Marlis Cornett. The pillows are from Mexico and West Elm, the rug is Ikea, and the antique jugs were bought while playing hooky from my very first job.

Image above: I keep our son Alexander’s towel hung in the kitchen since this is where we bathe him. The light fixture is from Ikea, the floral folk art came from an antique market in the countryside of Illinois, and our son’s high chair attaches to an antique butcher-block piece I bought at a sidewalk sale in our neighborhood. Off the kitchen is the dining room, which features our Ikea dining table, Hans Wegner chairs, and signed Big Lebowski poster (my husband’s pride and joy).

Image above: This is the only room in our apartment that we painted. (It’s actually still not finished, as it was a project we started right before I went into labor!). The wooden bed frame painted gold was my parents’ first bed. The gold leaf side table was a gift from my mother-in-law (a pair purchased at auction for $20), the lamp and shade are from Target, the antique velvet mirror was bought at the ever-inspiring Robin Richman in Chicago, and the bedding is from West Elm.

Image above: There is a somewhat gender neutral animal theme in this nursery since we did not find out the sex of our baby. My mom bought this papier-mâché gold angel mirror in Mexico City when I was 7 and carried it home on the plane! The framed antique tribal tapestry from Africa was a gift when Alexander was born. The standing giraffe is Jonathan Adler, the papier-mâché giraffe bust is from Anthropologie, the hand-me-down changing table is from Room & Board, and the Door Store dresser that is painted black is mine from childhood.

Image above: The crib is from Walmart, the blue linen curtains are from Restoration Hardware, the bed linens are from West Elm, and the recycled sari baby quilt is from a charming eco-friendly gift shop in Wicker Park.

Image above: This is the view of our back door in the kitchen, which leads to our porch. The red stool is from Ikea, and the monster magnum of wine was from Alexander’s baby shower. All of my friends signed the bottle for little baby Alex, and we will open it on his first birthday with all our friends and family!

Image above: This is the beloved Guffman, our first and hairiest son. The rug is from Ikea, and the basket for Guffman’s toys is from West Elm.

1. What a beautiful home. Great personality!

2. Just had a quick glimpse and rushed to comment on how much I LOVE this!!! Relating in so many ways with your approach. It’s not screaming “trend” except for the blackboard that is too much fun to pass (we also painted an entire wall in the girls’ room and it’s so much fun for young and old) This is a beautiful space! Lived in, not overly done yet rich with so many patterns and little influences. Love those little accents of red and neutral walls! Love it! My kind of space.

3. kay* says:

i agree with the previous comments – what a beautiful home! i especially love all of the patterns, textures, and textiles. i’m normally not a huge fan of red but i love how you’ve used it in your home. very nicely done!

4. Donna says:

Love your gallery wall and all the gorgeous colors and textures. Doesn’t feel too busy though, just rich and lived in. This is what I strive for. Although my house doesn’t have any of the lovely old architecture. Plus your hairiest son is adorable.

5. katie says:

love love winnie! and love her beautiful home! Great post.

6. teresa says:

In addition to a beautiful space that is kid friendly without being childish, this couple has the best names I’ve ever seen in a couple. Just seeing the name Gundeck-Fingerhut makes me think sophisticated, but quirky.

7. i’ve a soft spot for Andersonville (I live in Rogers Park) since I go there all the time! Great restaurants, and there’s a terrific knitting shop too – Windy Knitty. Go there, grab a bite to eat while you’re at it.

8. Emily DeSanto says:

I think the picture of Guffman is my favorite. Beautiful!!!

9. abe says:

Guffman…well played!

10. Brooke David says:

Love love Winnie! Love her style, the mix of colors and the inviting feel of the apartment! Adore the baby’s room and handsome first and hairiest son!

11. Rebecca says:

love the dog!

12. Thank you for the lovely comments! It is an honor to have our home featured here; and we are so thrilled that the photo of Guffman made the finale! He does love the camera :)

13. Walker says:

Beautiful through and through! What breed is Guffman?

14. Guffman is a mutt / mix. We’re not sure but if we had to guess it would be Collie & Golden . . . 52 pounds of pure fun!

15. Scabs says:

I love that the span of your collection was from flea-marts to wal-mart!

16. Veronica says:

I love the carpet Guffman’s sitting on. Ikea? Does it have a name?

17. Kate says:

Your personal affection for your parents chair is deeply understood. My very first real paycheck was spent on a strikingly similar chair that I bought for my mother, that I now have in my home.

18. Courtney says:

What a very pretty space. I love absolutely everything about these photos. It doesn’t even look like a city home. It feels much more relaxed and laid back, but still perfectly put together.

19. Love this charming home! I could live oh-so-comfortably there!

20. Veronica – I bought that rug at Ikea maybe 10 years ago and it was a total fluke. It was the only one like it and was at the bottom of a large stack of rugs similar in size.

21. Anna says:

Yay! Your house is so lovely. So proud of you Winnie to see how far you have come with your business and your family! Keep it up!

22. Kristin Peschke says:

Winnie’s home is a beautiful and unique as her jewelry! Love the art wall and Guffman!

23. Brandon says:

Love absolutely everything about the Gundeck-Fingerhuts! Their home is a perfect representation of their uniqueness, their charm, their creativity and their wonderful personalities. Nicely done Design Sponge!

24. shashi says:

I love your home, but I am in love with Guffman.

25. Jill says:

One of my favorite sneak peeks. Someone has an eye for detail that is right up my alley. What a lovely home!

26. sara says:

Beautiful Winnie!

27. Karin says:

Ditto on all accounts, mostly how signature family pieces have reincarnated into your home. Love!

28. Cathy says:

really love all these furniture choices! they complement each other perfectly! thanks for sharing!

29. That’s our alphabet print in the nursery! I was scrolling down, absolutely loving this home, and then I noticed. What a nice surprise. :) Love how she combined more graphic modern elements like that with antiques and other items with patina. Beautiful home.

30. Eva! I’m so glad you saw this because I couldn’t remember where it came from and had wanted to credit it!

31. Judy Watson says:

Love your place Winnie … beautifully warm and inviting … A real home! Couldn’t believe it when I saw your Teak Amoire … I have one almost identical which I found tucked away in the basement of an old antique store … I fell in love with it straight away … haven’t seen one since! Thanks for opening up your home … Enjoy – it’s beautiful!

32. jennifer says:

this is one of my favorite tours. So unstyled and approachable, yet beautiful and pleasing to the eye. What she loves most about her home, I love about her article!

33. Karen Bonacorda says:

Love how the gray walls make the colors in your artwork pop. It is a very nice way of honoring the house’s wood trim, and I would have liked to see more of it.

34. Shalum says:

Lovely.

35. dawn says:

I love the numerous personal touches this home has – and I love that they started their family in that home. My husband and I are beginning to accumulate such memories in our home and we are realizing that while good design helps (just as money does!) it isn’t everything. Thank you for sharing!

36. Karen, here is a link to my blog which contains a gallery of outtakes from the shoot. Hopefully you’ll enjoy them and thanks for your interest in our home! http://www.winifredgrace.com/inspiration/?p=1237&preview=true&preview_id=1237&preview_nonce=fdeedce5aa

37. Kimberly says:

What a comfortable, beautiful, interesting home. The twins to that chair are calling to me from the consignment store.

38. Winifred says:

OH MY GOODNESS. Another Winifred! This is incredible! Love your home, from one Winifred to another. XO!

39. Emison says:

My grandmother had 3 of those same Japanese Art Deco rugs! One runner, one huge one in the living room, and one doormat. All are in use at my parents house now, and I hope to someday take care of (at least) one of them. Beautiful home!