sneak peek: sirima sataman

Sirima Sataman of ink.paper.plate Press moved into this studio in San Francisco’s Dogpatch District just one year ago, right before her son left for college. She wanted a space all to herself where she could make a mess and wake up at any hour to work out an idea. When she found this raw industrial space, her biggest challenge was storage and separating personal living space from the public workspace where she makes art and teaches classes. The solution was putting nearly every piece of furniture on wheels, so the space is extremely flexible. Sirima also built open storage systems, allowing her and her students to easily find supplies. The workbenches are topped with glass and double as palettes for mixing ink or paint or working with solvents. (Sirima has a Rabbit Air purifier that filters the VOCs created from paints and solvents.) Sirima is also the building’s “fairy dogmother,” and she has doggy visitors throughout the day. Her most frequent guest is her neighbor’s dog, Cascarabbias. Thanks, Sirima! And thank you to Kara Brodgesell for the lovely photographs. — Amy Azzarito

Image above: My loft is an eclectic mix of salvaged items and collectibles scored from the street, Craigslist and thrift stores. I love to restore things and am a passionate collector of beautiful, functional objects. I have an embarrassingly large collection of original 1930s–1940s glassware, pottery and cookware. (Some of it is on display in the kitchen, including Eva Zeisel, Ben Seibel, Jadeite & Delphite milk glass, Hall pottery, Russel Wright, Copco.) My current restoration project is a 1978 VW Campervan that I plan to use as a roving art studio, and my latest vintage find was a set of four minty Thonet upholstered bent plywood chair that I snatched from my resto-geek friend, Danny Torres. The photograph above the shelves in the space that functions as the kitchen, pantry, dining area and bike garage is by Will Henry.

Image above: The studio workspace

See more of Sirima’s San Francisco home after the jump . . .

Image above: Restored Craigslist and street sale finds — vintage sleeper sofa, 1930s–1940s Deco lounge chair, rolling library/magazine cabinet coffee table

Image above: Takach etching press

Image above: Vintage 1930s waterfall nightstand, vintage brass and porcelain lamp with unidentified mark, and Gibson guitar case

Image above: Vintage Plum Vainqueur Bike modified to be a city bike

Image above: Restored vintage bookcase found on the street, antique celadon vase and succulents in mercury glass

Image above: Sleeping loft — Hoffman bed from Room and Board, antique Chinese screen, glass and steel console table, Vintage Gibson J-160E and Blueridge BR-43 guitars. Artwork from left to right: Beth Ross, Andrea Rich, Jerry Chang, Stefan Aronsen, Julia Pinsky

Image above: 1940s Brasscrafters nickel plated mirror, salvaged antique chair, antique writing box, and Crate and Barrel white pitcher with flowers

Image above: Shoe storage made from an old redwood shelving unit that was abandoned in the building.

Image above: Rope and cleat at the top of the stairs that ties off the sea kayak that’s suspended under the sleeping loft

Image above: The kitchen. A collection of vintage glassware and pottery — Hagen vase; Jadeite (green) and Delphite (blue) milk glass mixing bowls; Eva Zeisel Town & Country cream, sugar and syrup pitcher (bright turquoise); and assorted Russel Wright serverware

Image above: Vintage steel tea tins found in an Islington Antique stall (Camden Passage), handmade books, bronze clappers and a green slipstone for sharpening Japanese printmaking gouges

Image above: Folding letterpress notecards in the studio. The work table is a salvaged harvest table that was restored and topped with galvanized steel. This table seats 12–14 people, has handles and folds flat.

Image above: Screenprinting vintage bikes onto dishtowels

1. AnnOnandOn says:

What a great place! I love the use of space and so many of the unique details!

2. I love the whole industrial feel to this space, that bike hanging on the wall looked great.

I need to find a cool way to hang my bike on the wall in my bedroom

3. Carolyn says:

I love the shelving units in the kitchen. Where are they from?

4. Juice says:

omg how did you find this space! It’s awesome and the way you live in it is too!

5. Love how they have combined their work and home space. Very original!

6. I always love the homes with lots of light. This is another great one!

7. Vicki says:

UGH! I’m so green with envy I can’t stand it! Wonderful, perfect space. Lovely vibe you’ve created, Sirima.

8. AM says:

is there an easy way to pin images from your blog to pinterest? it seems like i always get an error message (no images available?) and then need to pasta a link rather than the actual picture…

1. Kate Pruitt says:

AM – I’m not sure why you’re getting that error message, but we recommend pinning from the post page and not from the homepage or the individual image page. This works for us, plus it ensures that when people click on the pin they will be able to see the post and not just the homepage. If this doesn’t work, let us know!

9. Liz says:

I’d love to know more about your Rabbit Air purifier.

10. sirima says:

Carolyn- the shelving units in the kitchen were originally form Ikea. I got them off craigslist a while ago and I think they’re discontinued from Ikea.

11. sirima says:

Liz – I have the the Rabbit Air Minus A2 with the toxin absorber filter. http://www.rabbitair.com/choose-your-air-purifier.aspx

12. Julie says:

Great spread! My kayak even got a mention! Hope flocks of students come your way! You’re a fantastic teacher. My favorite comment, that you’re the building’s fairy dogmother. Ha.

13. velika says:

I pass by there all the time! I had no idea it was a residence. Thanks for the inside view of a rapidly changing San Francisco neighborhood.

14. Julian Hazlett says:

I just love this creative space!

15. I have no favourite room, they all are my favourite. I love your style. You could feature in my blog many times over.

16. Dorothy says:

I envy you. I have been thinking of finding a place like yours. Love how you made most things moveable. You teach?

17. sirima says:

Wow, thanks for all the love guys. Yes, I teach. Check out a recent 1:1 art project I did with Go Inspire Go founder Toan Lam. http://ow.ly/bYL6R

I teach regular classes but the most reward work I’ve done lately have been collaborative art coaching with folks that combines everything from business skills to art skills.

18. Dana Brewer says:

I go by this place all the time on my runs. I live not to far. I always wondered what was in it. I love that it is her home and studio. Very, very cool set up and love all the vintage finds.

19. labardsf says:

I walk by this place all the time, and I had no idea how wonderful it is inside. My dream home/studio combination!

20. NICE! I see the silk screen of Portland I made on your wall! WOOT WOOT! Thanks for the shot-out!!!

21. Kusoom says:

Khun Sirima, your house makes me run to buy things to make it as much as organized as yours.

22. Sumeth says:

I love your space, Sirima. It seems to strike the ideal balance between home and workplace. Dogpatch is a wonderful neighborhood as well!