sneak peek: micah rich

by

Micah Rich, one of the original founders of A Good Company and The League of Moveable Type, considers himself somewhat nomadic, jumping from place to place every few months. But he always finds his way back to his childhood home in Camillus, New York, where his dad still lives. He’s been here for the past nine months working on a few projects, including building a new font platform called Lettercase, developing a couple web projects and organizing font commissions for The League. The home has been in the family for a long time and was where his mother grew up, as well. She was an antique dealer with an eye for unique old treasures and was responsible for most of the decor before she passed away. As Micah points out, there’s an interesting mix of new technology hidden inside beautiful old furniture, which relates to his own decorating style. Thanks, Micah! — Anne

Image above: My second office. The porch is where I usually work in the summertime. It has windows on three sides and is completely full of fascinating old Native American and cowboy knickknacks.

Image above: My first office. We only ever use the dining room for occasional family dinners, so most often my computer, papers, and equipment are strewn about the table.

See more of Micah’s home after the jump . . .

Image above: I’m not exactly sure how long this has been here, but close to forever. Most of the boxes are antiqued, but the pewter and candle molds are real.

Image above: A few of my lenses, some old pewter candlesticks, and a model boat I love. I worked on a schooner one summer a few years back, the Malabar VII, and have since been in love with sailing. I took that model boat with me when I lived in Boston and have yet to repair that broken jib.

Image above: The living room. The hutch is used to hold hundreds of random patches of fabric that we use to make things.

Image above: The fireplace. We at least have a fire every Christmas morning, though sometimes other occasions. I helped put that wooden mantle up over the brick that was exposed.

Image above: A few trinkets from the shelves on the porch of old lures and fishing equipment. Our family has a history of fishing, so it’s appropriate.

Image above: The guest room, which is mostly my Nana’s room. I believe either my mother or sister quilted that cover a long time ago.

Image above: The cow room, which is so named because the walls and shelves are lined with cow paintings and figurines. It leads to our kitchen.

Image above: The kitchen, which is the first room you see when you walk in the house. The counters are all black marble, the not-pictured refrigerator has a punch tin face, and the dishwasher is completely hidden inside what looks like one of those cabinets.

Image above: A sampler that my mother made hanging in our bathroom. She used to cross-stitch all kinds of antique patterns and sell them with the furniture she refinished at craft shows and weekly markets.

Image above: Our bathroom. Those lights are electric, but have candle bulbs in them so they don’t look it. The light is always beautiful, reflecting off that mirror in the morning.

Image above: A very recently hung key/cane holder. We spent roughly two hours trying to hang that darn thing straight. It should not have been that difficult.

Image above: The entrance to the porch. I love the porch. What a beautiful day out there, isn’t it?

Image above: Hey, that’s me! That’s where I work when I’m home. That’s what I do.

1. Anne says:

Great colour in the kitchen!

2. Amy Renea says:

gorgeous home and such elegance drops from every corner…

3. swati says:

I like it, it is refreshing. Rather than being an intentionally styled house, it is the ordinary home of stylish people.

4. Lilien says:

Hi Micah, not particularly my style– although it is ever evolving and still very immature– but I can appreciate the textures and the history that pervade every room. Micah, your home is very unique these days– love that I don’t see an affected MCM piece anywhere and that it doesn’t look like you copied a famous well-blogged celebrity home or opened up page 120 of C&B and bought everything on the page. It feels very deliberate and I just love that. Even YOU fit in very well. This peek is making me rethink what I really want to bring into my home. Thank you for a wonderful preview of your home. Gorgeous! Cheers!

5. Alyssa says:

I just opened up Design Sponge and *gasped!* I’ve known Micah for over 10 years. And he is super creative & talented. So cool to see someone you know featured in a DS Sneak Peek!

6. ri gal says:

All the wood and the personal touches makes a refreshing sneak peak. The old lamp, the beautifully framed mirror, the cross-stitch piece, and the table in the kitchen, just makes me wish I lived there or someone I knew, so I visit that home often. The porch and the cow room too. So ordinary, yet so full of inspiration, warmth and personality.

7. Erica W. says:

Ditto on what Swati said.

8. Jill says:

I love this sneak peek! It is totally my style , no MCM for me….I want to take a book and a pot of tea out to that porch and settle in for the afternoon.

9. Lisa Conforto says:

What a great historical home. I can feel the family vib off the selected pieces of pottery, and all the antique items perched about. It’s truely a place to get comfy in. Love it!

10. Megan says:

Very cozy! I have to say though, I’m disappointed there isn’t a picture of the fridge since you said it had a punched tin face. I’m curious!

11. Sasha says:

Micah has also done all of the design for http://www.thegoldentriangle.org as well as the iphone and ipad apps for it. All of his work is amazing!

12. Aurora says:

As a Hamilton, New York native it is thrilling to see a home from our area featured here! It is so reminiscent of Central New York’s style. Very cozy.

13. Wow, I love this! Someday I’d like to replicate some of these elements in a home of my own. I prefer coziness and history when it comes to decorating. It just seems more livable–and lived-in! Thanks for sharing.

14. Amberly says:

This reminds me SO much of the farmhouse that’s been in my family for generations as well. The colors, the furniture, the quilts and thoughtful collections – I love the warmth and feeling of stories in this space.

15. Sarah says:

I’m with Megan – any chance you have a photo of the fridge you could show? So curious. What a nice, contemplative, restful seeming home. Lovely.

16. Ellen says:

Beautiful home! It is always nice to see a variety of style represented here.

17. gina says:

what a cozy corner….where you sit & do your work.

18. JenO says:

As a west coast native who lives in a world where just about everything is post 1900, nothing about this rather touching home seems ordinary to me. The soft focus of the photos, in fact the tone of the entire post is enticing. You won’t see anything like this around here, so it’s good to have our perspective changed every now and then!

19. Clarissa says:

I’m just gonna go ahead and say it.. Micah is cute… is he single? haha. You’ve got a lovely, cozy home.

20. Polly Montgomery says:

How fun it is to see a type of our generation’s style on Design Sponge. We love our antiques and the history they hold. The textures, patinas and colors are warm and welcoming. I like the history Micah cites–yes, that is part of a home. Thank you Micah for sharing your sense of family and the love that permeates this house.

21. I love some of the details. The old fashioned kitchen cabinet color works perfectly. Good work.

22. Tori says:

I felt like I was walking through my mother-in-law’s home, right down to the reproduction samplers! Nicely done.

23. I agree with Polly above (Hi Mom!) — this house reminds me so much of her generation and my grandmother’s style. They sure couldn’t get enough of that early American look! Now I have inherited portions of it that mix with my more modern designs, and it all evolves together naturally.

24. Rachel says:

this is very different from the homes usually featured, but, I love the cozy history of his house. Being a New Englander, this house is a great departure and nice to see!

25. What a wonderful family home. Thanks for the beautiful sneak peek!

26. karen says:

Such a rich history and what a beautiful family home…AND what a dreamboat! Is this guy married?!

27. Courtney says:

Beautiful photography and I had to do a double take. I couldn’t believe Camillus, NY (where I am from) was featured on Design Sponge :)

28. Charlene says:

Great home…what pottery barn aspires to be…

29. vaughn says:

Just gorgeous; I love a home full of beautiful history!

30. Amy says:

I’m sorry but you can’t mention a fridge with a punched tin door and not show it. This requires a follow-up post.

31. Pat says:

Where did you find the light kit for the ceiling fan in the kitchen? It’s just what I need, but can’t find. . .