sneak peek: katie graham

I completely fell in love with the wicker furniture of Family Love Tree, which is run by Australian furniture designer Katie Graham, so I asked if we could get a little peek inside her own living space. Katie lives in Elsternwick, Victoria, Australia, with her husband, Jason, and three kids, Billee, Angus and Wolfe. Katie adores bright colors and patterns, clashing colors and fabrics and generally breaking all decorating rules. The result is pretty fabulous! Thanks, Katie! And thanks to Derek Swalwell for the lovely photographs. — Amy Azzarito

Image above: The dining room, our favorite place to entertain. I bought this old dining table 12 years ago, and it has entertained many guests. It sits proudly under our large gold/black light shade. Painting by Erhan. The walls are painted throughout the house in an off white. We use our artwork to add color to the space.

Image above: Our lounge room, which features a 1960s Featherston chair covered in Florence Broadhurst fabric. The artwork is by local Australian artist Abbey McCulloch. Couch pillows and lampshade are made from original 1960s fabric.

See more of Katie’s Australian home after the jump . . .

Image above: Another angle of the lounge room. Wooden cut-out birds on the window ledge by Bride & Wolfe.

Image above: Our ’70s yellow kitchen tiles are one of my favorite features in our home.

Image above: Master bedroom. The bedside tables are another Italian circa ’60s find. The feature wall is in a taupe color to match the curtains, which match the cushions (by spacecraft).

Image above: My sons, Angus (6) and Wolfe’s (3), bedroom. Navy denim blue feature wall with vintage car decals by Mister Mista and a pirate boat bought off the beach in Bali.

Image above: My daughter, Billee’s (8), bedroom with vintage peacock bed head — the inspiration behind my business, The Family Love Tree. The vintage ’50s boudoir chair is covered in Mokum fabric, and the vintage kantha quilt on her bed is a standout.

Image above: This is taken at my front door with the kids — daughter, Billee, and sons, Angus and Wolfe. The original stone wall from the ’50s and the ’70s-style wood veneer door at the entrance are showstoppers. The painting behind me is by Rhys Lee, a local Melbourne, Australia, painter.

1. Love the bits of old and new. What awesome artwork on the walls, too!

2. Rachael says:

Where can I find that bunk bed?

3. Anja says:

Love it! All of it! :)

4. Margas says:

I bet one never feels sleepy after breakfast in THAT kitchen… This is a really fun apartment!

5. Julie Khuu says:

All of the artwork is really what I’m lusting after in this space! The amazing use of color, the curated mix of textiles…such an artist’s enclave! Gorgeous!

6. Rachel says:

The link for Katie’s website redirects to a website for men’s underwear if you click on anything! I thought someone should know.

1. Grace Bonney says:

which link? i tested the ones up top and they worked for me…

7. eva says:

What a treat this one is, too! I love every peek. D*S outdid itself :)

8. Nancy says:

Where are the side tables in the lounge room from? Or what are they? They look like wood cubes with a graphic print on them. I am surprised they weren’t mentioned as they are lovely and unique! Thank you!

9. Love all the designs everywhere- such a cool house- and beautiful children.

10. jo says:

i want to know more about those cubes in the lounge too….

11. Suzanne Knighten says:

Love every room and every object! And what gorgeously healthy children!

12. I’m usually not big on poppy graphic trees on walls, but I *LOVE* the one in your daughter’s bedroom! I like the rest of your home, too.

13. Jade says:

Wooden cube in the center of the lounge area… Where is it from? Please tell me tell me tell me :)!

14. Rachel says:

For me it was the top link – it went to the homepage of the website, but when I tried to click on any menu item is when I was redirected. My computer gave me a fraudulent website warning, which I (stupidly) ignored, because I had visited the site when you profiled it before. Thank you for following up!

15. Azil says:

I usually don’t like the typical old tiled-kitchen but this is so well put together. The lamp and the table just seem to belong in there. Good Job!

16. Katie says:

Hey it’s Katie here, just for those who enquirer about the cubes they are from Melbourne designers – Spacecraft!

17. Matthew says:

“Painting by Erhan” … where can find a website? I would love to have that same piece in my dining room! Please share.

18. Eek…love the kitchen. Those yellow subway tiles are amazing!

19. Melissa says:

Gorgeous. think my daughter would love that bedhead!

20. Tara says:

Your home is stunning, individual and plays on my senses in color. Thank you.

I too loved the painting by “Erhan”… I tried to google the artist to no avail. Would you be so kind to provide more information.

21. steff says:

Where’s that sofa from – i live in Sydney and love the sleek line of it!

22. Heather says:

I love the sense of colour in this house, the mix of moody and bright tones, all the artwork, plus it’s a home where kids live too! I’m jealous of those tall windows and teal curtains in the lounge. Thanks for a great peek!

23. Gari says:

Love every nook and corner. Beautiful!!!

24. Lilien says:

I love how the artwork and textiles really feminize the tone of the furniture. Fabulous work!

25. Djinn says:

Hi Katie, Where is the bunk bed from?

26. tbone says:

nice house! can you tell me where the bunk bed is from? it looks like, but wasn’t sure if there was something out there that’s similar but maybe less expensive…?
    thank you!

27. Caroline says:

I love the yellow kitchen tiles but we plan on renting or selling our house after a few years… Anyone know if it’s easy to repaint or does that look tacky?

28. heyjbird says:

I love the that subway tiles in the kitchen are vertical instead of horizontal

29. Alicia says:

Love the house! Proud of a fellow Ausie! The cube side tables are from Bonnie and Neil (local Australian designers)

30. Lauren says:

Love your style. Where did you get your kitchen table? I have a yellow and white kitchen and am looking for a table.