sneak peek: benedicte sartorio and emmanuel clouet

by

Benedicte Sartorio and Emmanuel Clouet are a French couple with four children living in Earl’s Court in southwest London. Benedicte is a freelance visual merchandiser working for various fashion and children’s retailers, while her husband works in the luxury industry. In their home, they like to keep things minimal for their busy lives, so everything must be beautiful or functional while mixing vintage and modern designs, colors and textures in a contrasting way. Their top-floor flat is very light and open and overlooks a charming communal garden, which is quite popular with the children, who are always changing their beds and rooms around, making it difficult for their parents to know who is sharing a bedroom with whom. Thanks so much to Benedicte and to Sibylle Meyfret for the photos! — Anne

Image above: The space in this room is achieved by a wall of windows plus a big mirror, which visually doubles the size. The table and chairs are from Habitat. I found the vase at Pedlars. The small side boomerang table was a gift to me.

Image above: This 1950s vintage Vesper desk is facing a big window and is a nice place to spend hours working. I made the stool out of magazines. I like to change objects around on the desk, but in the picture there is an Anglepoise lamp and Urbanears headphones.

More inside Benedicte and Emmanuel’s home after the jump . . .

Image above: On this table there are Liberty kites, which are a work in progress for Amaia. In back, you can see a black drawing on the wall by Augustin Greneche.

Image above: In our bedroom, blue gives us a lot of energy. I like to put natural linen on our bed, which gives it a fresh feeling. I had to find a big chest of drawers to stock all the material I use for work. This one is made with Muji drawers, which are very convenient because they are transparent. I recently did the charcoal drawing in a class.

Image above: In the living room I placed a ’50s Danish sideboard that I really like matched with an Ercol armchair from Rich at Chairs and Skyscrapers. The floor lamp is Terence Conran, and the drawing from is by Paul Helleu.

Image above: For our bathroom, I wanted to contrast the strong effect of tiles and mirrors with old pieces of furniture that I found in antique markets around London. The coral pair of “les petites” shoes gives a touch of color to the room.

Image above: I like to put children’s chairs all around so they can sit and daydream or read a book. This one is a chair from the ’50s called Mulca 300 with a matching desk. We painted the antique wardrobe found in a Paris flea market in a grey color to give the furniture a splash of modernism. The animals are from Caramel Baby and Child, and the garland is from Mi-avril.

Image above: This is the entrance where I put a drawing on the wall by Austin Greneche. This entrance perspective gives a sense of the space, with the natural light and different touches of color.

Image above: I found a vintage children’s set from the antique market along with a hutch, high chair and stroller. The children spend hours playing restaurant and dad and mum. The teddy is from Gwenael Malcorpi.

Image above: The yellow kids’ chair is a re-edition from the Polyprop Series E with an antique blackboard on an antique trunk. The little bag was handmade by my friend Belen Sanz, who also works for Amaia as a freelance graphic designer.

Image above: The ceiling light pendant is from Bakker Made with Love. I found this desk here in London in an antique market, and we painted it with a Designer Guild color. My husband found this military bed in Paris. Again I used linen fabric for the children. The picture frame above the bed is from Bianca and Family.

Image above: In the same bedroom, I put an English desk painted in pink (Designer Guild) to divide the room. The shoes are from Salt Water.

Image above: Here the table and bench are from IKEA with a Cath Kidston oilcloth. In the fireplace, I put a vintage Formica school chair.

Image above: A little handmade puppet theater is on the left, which was a Christmas gift from my mother.

Image above: For our bedroom, I wanted a big table for the kids to do their homework, so we found this antique farm table in France.

Image above: On the side I put some Dantel decorating balls suspended by a transparent thread. I also framed a child’s drawing because I want to help their creativity. The camera is a vintage polaroid.

Image above: On the bed are a navy pullover from Bonton, red shorts from Amaia, shoes from Pom D’Api, bag from Edmond Rose et Cie and a few animals to pull the suitcase.

1. valeria says:

wow!!! I love all your little chairs… :)

2. What an utterly beautiful home. I love all the details and the little points of inspiration, not to mention the old-fashioned toys (that little toy till made my heart do a nostalgic skip), and the traditional ‘togetherness’ of the whole home. Gorgeous.

3. Megs says:

That yellow in the kids bedroom is the definition of butter yellow to me, and the perfect colour for a little girls room!

And yes, the sound of my kids playing is also my favourite thing about my home!

Merci!

4. trish says:

the magazine stool is fantastic!

5. Mary Claire says:

I would love to know where you found your fish scale pillow. I’m also very interested in how you framed the child’s drawing in your bedroom. Your house is absolutely beautiful– down to every detail!

6. FurnishMyWay says:

Very creative to make stool out of magazines! The desk is arranged so nicely and the headphones suspended as they are is a nice touch.

7. Paul says:

Just stylish, love it – especially the chalk board!

8. lexi says:

Hee, please tell me this sentence is translated from the French!

“they like to keep things minimal for their busy lives, so everything must be beautiful or functional while mixing vintage and modern designs, colors and textures in a contrasting way. “

9. Sofia says:

Lovely white chairs, and an interesting way to use all the old magazine one stocks up over time.

10. Miss Heliotrope says:

Very lovely.
    Manages to appear busy yet restful.

11. i really the this simplicity and feeling of importance you have given your lovely pieces

12. SUZIE P says:

What is the grey paint used on the old wardrobe please?

13. margarita says:

OMG totally love the bathroom and use of vintage furniture, specially the grey painted chest and the children’s rooms, gorgeous house indeed and very good taste.

14. you have a beautiful home. I especially appreciate how intentional they were with planning for places to play for their kids. And the antique blackboard..

15. Love the design of the wall,so cool!

16. C. Savage says:

Adore the children’s rooms.. full of color!

17. Kristen says:

Great inspiration. This is a beautiful home.

18. Beth says:

I’m also wondering where the fish scale pillow is from – it’s gorgeous!

Your flat is lovely, well done!

19. Rachel says:

I love the fact that this home is a home for the ENTIRE family-warm and full of love too!

20. segolene says:

I love it ! This is just such a kids friendly home and the harmony is so aesthetic and charming!

21. segolene says:

so charming! This is a child friendly home. I love all the vintage touch : toys and furniture.

22. belen says:

love it LOVE IT love it!!!!!!!!… so simple and beautiful!

23. SO much here that I’m loving…That antique farm table? It’s nice and narrow…something I would use to park my serger and sewing machine. It would look prettiest with antique machines though…just to match moods. And those vintage children’s chairs? Nice thoughtful design touch…not something many parents would do, but it adds a lot to the home.

24. purodeco says:

Amazing, love this stylish family home! Beautifull!

25. SUPERBE!!!!!!! cela ne m’étonne pas de toi ; quelle classe…….

26. Duez Audrey says:

Bravo Bénédicte, tu as toujours autant de goût! C’est charmant et attendrissant. Amitiés. Audrey