living in: you’ve got mail

by

It’s been impossible to be present on the internet and not read about writer/director Nora Ephron’s death last week. We’re no strangers to Nora love here, see exhibits A, B and C, and we’ve been heartened by the widespread appreciation for her warm and witty ways. The final piece in our Ephron puzzle is You’ve Got Mail, a classic that is perhaps the romantic comedy to end all romantic comedies. Just ask your mother, she knows.            -Amy Merrick

1. Enamel colander, $26; 2. Camano coffee mill, $72; 3. Ivy topiary; 4. Rediscovered flatware, $42; 5. Vintage typewriter, $150; 6. Dixon pencils, $2.50; 7. Small cutting board, $65; 8. Daisy bouquet, $42; 9. Enamel bread bin, $85; 10. Vintage wicker basket, $48.

The full post continues after the jump…

Meg Ryan’s Upper West Side apartment is country comfy defined, in the typical movie how does she afford that way. Suspend your real estate disbelief and succumb to your uptown dreams- lox from Zabars, walks along Riverside, Tom Hanks business men at every turn. Back when phrases like “I go on line, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You’ve got mail.” rang true, it’s impossible to not feel nostalgic at the soundtrack of screeching of AOL dialup.

1. Brooks Brother handkerchiefs, $50/6; 2. Pride and Prejudice, $19; 3. Faribault blank, $139; 4. Zabars mug, $4; 5. Vintage lamp, $695; 6. Antique walnut commode, $3495; 7. Lattice-back chair; 8. Framed botanical print, $60; 9. Block printed pillow, $20; 10. Sage vase, $49.

1. Brunella says:

Thanks so much! I love what you’ve done here to capture so many of the best details from one of my favorite movies by Nora Ephron. Her thoughtful and lovely movies touched my heart everytime.

2. Bethany says:

Such a great posting! I love You’ve Got Mail, and I remember after seeing it in theaters I needed to draw out the floorplan because it was all so unique and vivid in my mind. It was all so memorable. Thank you for this!

3. Janelle says:

I adore this! Any chance we could get a part two featuring his apartment? The funky grandfather clock in his hallway has been one of my biggest points of design inspiration for over a decade. I’d love to see a board based on his style too.

4. Sue says:

I love this movie and mostly because of the decor in the two apartments, Megs especially. Another movie that Meg was in that has awesome decor is her characters house in “Sleepless in Seattle”, and the bedroom and kitchen in “When Harry met Sally”. She is always in movies with great decor. Of course Nora Ephron was influential in all three movies.

5. Monica says:

Sigh. Thank you for this. “You’ve Got Mail” is one of my favorite movies ever. I don’t know why, but I have watched it probably 100 times and never seem to tire of it.

6. Lauren Penn says:

Yay!!!! For years, I’ve been waiting this post. Thank you, thank you!

I’ve watched this possibly a hundred times since I was a kid. Now as an adult, I realize that my home style is evidently inspired by Kathleen’s adorably comfortable and vintage apartment. I love the way it feels airy but completely loaded with treasures, antiques and books.

Favorite lines: “New York in the fall always reminds me of school supplies. If I knew your address, I’d send you bouquets of sharpened pencils.”
    “That caviar is a garnish!”
    “You are a lone reed, standing tall, waving boldly in the corrupt sands of commerce.”
    “It’s a lovely store, and in a week it’ll be something really depressing, like a Baby Gap.”
    “I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly.”

7. Thanks so much for doing this shortly after the too-early passing of the great Nora Ephron! Would love to see some more of her movies on Living In soon. She did such a great job of capturing womanhood! =)

8. Erin says:

Love this! One of my favorite movies! I would love to see a living in of Birdie’s apartment!

9. This is just perfect. You’ve Got Mail is one of my favourite movies and absolutely responsible for my NYC obsession and upcoming trip! Love it. And now I know what I am watching tonight!

10. Once of my favourite movies!!! Love the collection

11. April says:

Thank you for featuring “Kathleen Kelly’s” apartment! “You’ve Got Mail” is one of my favorite movies and I’ve always loved her apartment!

12. “Just ask your mother”? Ouch. ;-)

13. What a fabulous tribute to this fun, romantic movie, I too have loved many Nora Ephron’s movies and will miss her talent. Kathleen’s apartment was so cozy and comforting! I also remember Birdie’s apartment even though it wasn’t featured much in the film. I would have loved to seen that included as well.

14. Betty Bee says:

Once a year I watch this with my family, over the years they have learned to love JOE fox as I do. My favorite line……I saw one.
    Kathleen Kelly
    It got on at 42nd and off at 59th…
    …where, I assume it went to Bloomingdale’s…
    …to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake.
    As almost all hats are.

15. gina says:

I literally almost jumped off the couch…this is my dream “living in”….this is my go to movie to unwind & relax…I love everything about it…..the little bookstore….the coffee shops….meg’s style…her eccentric group of friends.. pride & prejudice….new york in the fall, winter, spring…meg’s apartment!!…from the very first scene when you see the facade & enter through the window….its so cozy!!!!…and most of all I love tom’s line….don’t you love NY in the fall….makes me want to buy school supplies….I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils….thank you!!!!

16. Karen Stairs says:

My Living room and bedroom are Oh so…You’ve Got Mail! Thank you for this blog! I started reading and watching The Jane Austen Book Club and Jane Austen movies because of You’ve Got Mail…
    My kitchen and little back yard are starting to look like Under the Tuscan Sun…Please write a blog about that movie too…I watch these two movies more than any other…

17. Sue says:

How does Jane Austen connect with this movie? I have not heard of this before? But I love Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson. I have actually watch three version of S and S and read the book twice.

18. Jenna says:

I used to watch this movie every night growing up. It still calms me down after a particularly hard day. Kathleen’s apartment absolutely defined my sense of style for years.

19. Liz Dietz says:

HELP! I have a sister that has MS and is in the hospital. She loves this movie and wants the quilt tthat Meg’s character uses. Does anyone know?

20. Watching it now! Ha ha. I grew up with this movie. Pure and beautiful nostalgia. What a wonderful tribute Design Sponge. Thank you.

21. Watched this with my wife just the other night! Love your attention to detail :)

22. Rena says:

Can you tell me where I could find a clock like the one in the movie You’ve Got mail with Tom Hanks. My husband just loves it and I can’t seem to locate one just like it.

23. Kathleen says:

Where can I find the grandfather clock or what type/name is this grandfather clock? Thank you.

24. Heidi says:

great post! does anyone have a source for the cake poster thats in kathleen’s kitchen? i’ve been scouring the internet but it elludes me. Is it possibly an out of print Cavallinni?

25. I love this film! And I think the products you’ve picked out are absolutely spot on, love that vintage typewriter!

26. Sade Alread says:

@Tracy A, it’s called a Swedish Mora clock. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora_clock

27. Holly says:

The Pinwheel quilt in the movie, where can I find one like that one?