living in: dreamgirls

It’s hard not to drift into another world during Dreamgirls. The 2006 movie adaptation of the Broadway play tells the fictionalized story of the birth of Motown Records and its star act, The Supremes. The ladies paved the way for pop music as we know it, and their transformation from sweet soul backup singers to megawatt stars is reason enough for a standing ovation. A round of applause, please, for everyone’s favorite girl group. — Amy Merrick

1. Vintage Dressing Room Mirror; 2. Bone Dominoes, $350; 3. Supremes Platinum Album, $110; 4. Red Sequined Dress, $70; 5. Rupert Sanderson Heels, $720; 6. Glass Perfume Bottle, $60; 7. Floor and Table Lamp Set, $199; 8. Wharton Tassel Earrings, $57; 9. Long Leather Gloves, $548; 10. Dorothy Draper Boudoir Chair, $1400

The full post continues after the jump…

The sixties and seventies were a good time for onstage glamour, with its sequins, fringe, shiny brass and disco balls. While the reality of stardom was far less glowing in most cases, the surface gleamed, and the surface is what we’re stealing here. So start up the record player, pull out some sparkles and sing away.

1. Dots/Circles Sunrise by Duralee Fabric, $57/yd; 2. Yellow Taper Candles, $6; 3. Muriel Chandelier, $3250; 4. Ashland Candleholder, $28; 5. Pace Dining Table, $3450; 6. DvF Night Flatware, $105; 7. Spray Roses, $14/bunch; 8. Two’s Company Bubble Vases, $93/set of 2; 9. Cabochon Bracelet, $48; 10. Vintage Silver Ombre Highball Glasses, $42

1. Kristina says:

OOOH FAAAB ! I love the work you do on this column. I know it’s painstaking to put it all together, and each time I am so amazed at your attention to detail and how thorough you are!!

2. VVires says:

That dressing room mirror would really brighten up your reflection so you’d never have to cringe at your dark circles again.

3. Candace S. says:

I agree with Kristina – your attention to every detail is remarkable! Love the styling in the movie and the 70s so this was a treat :)

4. Kira Tequila says:

I agree, i have no idea where you find the actual pieces from the inspiration but im in awe, love dream girls

5. Jan says:

If you liked “Dream Girls” you should see the new Australian film “The Sapphires”, which just premiered at the Cannes Film Festival. It’s the true story of four sisters from an Aboriginal mission in the Australian outback, who are turned into a girl band in the 1960s.

6. Kathy says:

I saw Dreamgirls in the theatre and was just KNOCKED OUT by its style. Love it throughout. In particular, I was struck by the style of the disco knockoff of “one night only”. It’s so perfectly Tony Orlando and Dawn. (Even though I know it’s supposed to be the Supremes, I remember the TO&D show and the glam that Dawn was alongside Tony.) And yes, I am old enough to remember many of the style transitions. Love this post!

7. marie says:

oooh this makes me want to watch this movie again!! and somehow find that multi-colored lamp sitting on the lounge table.

8. I NEED the vintage dressing room mirror!

9. Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this blog. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appearance. I must say that you’ve done a excellent job with this. Additionally, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Firefox. Superb Blog!