in the kitchen with: alia and scout’s honey lavender cake

I learned about the Adelaide-based team at Whitewall Photography through a friendly email, the kind of email I love to receive. Alia and Scout gave me so many great choices for the column that it was hard to settle on this Honey Lavender Cake. This style of cake, one layer with a very simple icing, is perfect for picnics, easy entertaining and a treat at home or the office. — Kristina

About Whitewall Photography: Scout Edwards and Alia Elaraj are the Australia-based stylist and photography duo that make up Whitewall Photography. Although Whitewall began predominantly with portraits and weddings, their move to photographing food during the off-season was easy because, well, they love it. Published in many Australian magazines since their beginning in 2010, their recent work can be seen in Fete Press and SBS Feast Magazine. Stay up to date on where they’re shooting via their Facebook page or Twitter.

The full post continues after the jump . . .

Honey Lavender Cake

For the cake

• 13 tablespoons (175g) butter
  • 1/2 cup natural yogurt
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons dried or fresh lavender buds
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

For the icing

• 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • juice of a lemon

1. Grease a 10-inch (25cm) round spring form tin, and preheat your oven to 320F/160C.

2. Cube your butter and let it soften at room temperature.

3. In a bowl, combine butter with the yogurt, cream, honey and the lavender buds. Beat with a hand or electric mixer until it all comes together. This is a messy batter, so it may not look like it is coming together at this stage, but it will by the end.

4. Beat the eggs and sugar into the mixture.

5. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and mix together. It should look like cake batter now. Pour into the baking pan.

6. Bake for an hour. Check it at 45 minutes with a skewer.

7. Wait until the cake has cooled slightly and remove it from the tin.

8. To make the icing, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Spoon it onto the cake so it runs down the edge. Serve with whipped cream.

What Scout and Alia Love about This Recipe

We don’t often bake, even though we love the idea. But if we do make a cake, then this is the one. We also love this because it is simple and everything goes into one big bowl, so our little guy can dip things into the bowl and mix away, which he loves. It also makes the house smell like lavender throughout, yum!

1. Ling says:

I’ve made honey lavender caramels before, which were to-die-for, so I can only imagine how delicious those flavors would be in a cake! Thanks for sharing =)

2. Honey & lavender cake just SOUNDS amazing -I would love to have one baking in the oven. What a romantic idea -and probably delicious to boot! Thanks for sharing and the photos are lovely!

3. Courtney says:

You had me at honey lavender. Yum!

4. What a beautiful looking recipe! Just right for summer.

5. Catherine says:

Oh yum. This sounds like the perfect recipe for the lovely ingredients I picked up last night at my new favorite local farm & market; yogurt, eggs and honey butter! And lucky me, I just happen to have dried lavender on hand. I did the calculation, 160 degrees celsius to fahrenheit is 320, correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks!

6. What a lovely recipe – I can’t wait to try it! The photos are dreamy too which always makes me happy – we eat with our eyes first after all! :-)

7. Sasha says:

What a beauty of a cake! I have been thinking a lot about lavender as of late which I took as a sign to go out and buy a plant of the edible variety. I will certainly make this cake once my plant blooms!

Lavender and honey belong together. I suppose that cake does too.

8. Emily says:

YUM! That looks perfect for summer time!

9. mandie says:

this looks amazing, and not intimidating, which is very cool & important! I think I’ll begin gathering ingredients tonight!

10. kristina says:

@catherine – YES! I will add that in the text. Thanks for pointing that out!

11. Jen says:

I just made honey cake for the first time this summer and now I see it everywhere – with just cause! I’m excited to try it with some of the extra lavender that guest didn’t throw at my husband and I as we left our wedding. : )

12. Awesome! I just emailed this link to my Mum — she has a bumper crop of lavender this summer (thanks to our wet wet year in the UK I think) and loves to use it in baking (in particular, almond&lavender macaroons and lemon cake with lavender flower icing).. With any luck I’ll get to taste this soon – cant wait, thanks guys!

13. this is gorgeous! Grabbing some lavender from the farmers market for this next week.

14. YUM! I love lavender anything- and this looks way too delicious! And not only that, the photographs look so artsy and makes me want to go bake right away! Too bad it is 11 at night… Thanks for posting :)

15. This cakes sounds (and I’m sure smells!) wonderful. I will have to try it!

16. Heather says:

I love lavender and look forward to trying this recipe!

17. donna plotzker says:

It sounds delish- any thoughts on a gluten free version?

18. Stevie May says:

I used the recipe last night and had a romantic dessert date with myself. Thank you. I am so wooed.

19. Ariane says:

Just ate my first slice and think I may be in love — this cake will be in heavy rotation around here throughout the summer. Always looking for ways to use our bumper crop of honey, and even had some lavender on hand from last year. Yum!

20. Monique says:

A.MaZiNg. Just baked this yesterday, and I too am totally in love with this cake. AND the smell in my home. Delicious!

21. Irene says:

wow i totally can’t wait to try this recipe and so looking forward to another lovely recipe. cheers! :D

22. Melissa says:

Made this for the second time today, for a luncheon with some friends. Everybody raved about it, it’s a perfect summertime dessert, or teatime sweet!

23. Claire Livia says:

Ooh I just love lavender baking! One of my absolute faves. I made these lavender shortbreads recently on my blog http://liviasweets.com/post/4597106022/tea-and-cookies

24. ajazztune says:

I made this and I really disliked the lavender in my mouth. It was too strong and overpowered everything. If I were to make it again, I would flavour the flour with the lavender to get a more subtle taste and not have bits of lavender to chew on. The lemon glaze was amazing though, and I’ve used it on many other cakes since.

25. Lois says:

This cake is truly tasty, but the one from my local bakery (which I have to special order & then buy the whole batch -only 4 in a batch, and they freeze well) has a slit of Bavarian cream lengthwise on a small meatloaf-size cake. Any recipe suggestions ?

26. a quiet life says:

just made your cake, pure heaven, thanks for sharing such a delish recipe!