sneak peek: jennifer hagler of a merry mishap

by

As soon as I found out that this home was in Boise, Idaho, it made me smile. I lived there for two years growing up, and I promise I never saw anything this stylish. It’s the home of Jennifer Hagler, aka A Merry Mishap, who seems to have that magic touch. Everything she does has a similar look and feel but in a fresh and welcoming way — from her blog to the line of jewelry she sells on Etsy. Along with her husband and toddler son, the family lives 20 minutes outside the city, creating the feel of a safe, quiet and slower pace of life. Even as renters, they’ve found a way to work around some of the “constants” that came with the house (and that they’re not huge fans of), but their personal style of simple and modern with a love for Scandinavian design shines through and provides the perfect base to play with vignettes and different colors. Thanks, Jennifer! — Anne

Image above: Our living room is pretty laid back. With a toddler we have a lot of movable pieces like a small chair, floor cushions and pillows, things get shifted around a lot. The rug is by Design House Stockholm, the coffee table by Normann Copenhagen and the pillows are from Fine Little Day, Ikea and eBay.

More inside Jennifer’s Boise home after the jump . . .

Image above: The grey chair and ottoman are from eBay and everyone who visits comments on how comfortable it is to sit in.

Image above: I like having an all white dining room; it gives patterned plates, table cloths and colorful food center stage. The table is Ikea and the shelves are String Pocket. Our black rubber pendant lamp is by Muuto.

Image above: The small black crochet lamp was something I made from black knit fabric, the small things on the shelves behind the table are a mix of vintage and new pieces from all over. The copper vase was a DIY I did, the silver framed sailboat was my grandfather’s, and the wooden viking and ducks are vintage, found at thrift stores.

Image above: I sit at my desk for hours a day, so it’s important to have lots of blank surfaces and not too many accessories, as it soon gets overwhelmed with jewelry-making supplies. The calendar is Stendig, the desk was made by us on Ikea legs, the rubber bowl is Neo, and the black paper basket is Siwa.

Image above: Our bed is pretty simple, but I like that about it. It’s a place I can go to just let my eyes rest and there’s something very peaceful about an all white bed to me. With wall-mounted lights, it’s easy to read a book at night, and I don’t have a lot of decorative pillows to throw on the ground every time I get into bed. For us, it’s perfect. The bed and wall mounted lights are Ikea, the side tables are by Componibili, and the rug is DwellStudio.

Image above: The black clothes rack is from Ikea.

Image above: Jewelry station

Image above: Pillow from Fine Little Day

Image above: Israel’s room. His bed is an inexpensive simple toddler bed from Ikea. He won’t be using it long, so I didn’t want to spend much on something we’ll be giving away soon. His bedding is from Ikea, pillows are by Ferm Living from House & Hold and the apple pillow is from Studio Meez. The map poster is from Fine Little Day. The paper animals and nesting dolls are by Ingela Arrhenius. The little wooden rocking chair was thrifted and painted a minty color. The grid wallpaper is vintage Marimekko.

Image above: The guitar and books are from Amazon. In order to keep his room from total chaos, I store his toys and books in a variety of places. Most of the books on the Ikea shelves are beyond his reach, which means we get them down for him and read together. Also, most of his small toys are in white bins from Ikea on the top shelf. I take down one or two bins at a time, and when he’s finished, we put those away before getting more down to play with.

Image above: My favorite thing to do at home is to flip through stacks of magazines.

1. Woohoo, lovely to see my friend Jennifer’s beautiful home here :) A wonderful home tour. She is such a great stylist!

2. Sarah says:

Love it! Any ideas on where the couch is from? Thank you!

3. Casual and comfortable with a ton of style. Reminds me of one of those Ikea catalog homes

4. wow, I LOVE all the white and black contrasts…minimal yet cozy!

5. Wow, lovely and stylish home. I’m surprised it’s a rental, it definitely doesn’t seem like one!

6. Heather | Vivid Hue Home says:

I love how bright and simple this palette is…I tend to get carried away with color in my own home and it’s refreshing to see an interior that uses minimal color but still manages to be stylish and chic. Thanks for sharing!

7. Rinna says:

No chewed kid books, how did you do that!

8. christiana says:

Oh, it is so great to see Jennifer’s lovely home here! This feels so fresh and Scandinavian – very clean and contemporary, but still warm and inviting with personality! Love this style.

9. gabrielle says:

a really perfect mix of minimalist and yet completely distinctive.

10. Jenny says:

Are the shelves that hold Israel’s books from Ikea, too? Very curious to learn the source. Beautiful home – thanks!

11. JB says:

Love so many things, but especially those hot pink candles! Can you share the source? They look like a lot of fun for summer.

12. Jen says:

Beautiful!
    I would love to know where the white sideboards (living and dining rooms) are from?

13. Jennifer is TOPS! I just adore her style and particularly her voice – her blog is my slice of internet zen. thanks for featuring her!

14. I’m such the fan for white walls. the contrast of the black and white allow the accent colors to pop. So minimalistic and cozy! Great styling.

15. Jenny-
    Both book shelves are from Ikea, the thin ones are Ribba & the others…I can’t remember the name. Sorry!

16. JB-I found them locally and they’re just some long birthday candles that happened to fit the Dansk holders perfectly! Maybe check a party store for some similar?

17. Jen-The white floating sideboards in the living room are also Ikea, ASPVIK is the name.

18. Emma says:

wow this is like the place where all the little pieces I love come together :) so amazing!!

19. Julia says:

very proud of Jennifer and her good taste for decorating!

20. cabinfever says:

I agree that the sofa is a Karlstad from Ikea.
    The legs look like these from Etsy (stained in Early American, not Medium Brown as in the pic).

21. Isabel Silva says:

Eres una gran artista, tu nos demuestras que con buen gusto no se necesitan muchas cosas, todo se ve tan limpio, elegante…de revista.

22. sya says:

I’ve always loved Jennifer’s home. And to think that most of the items are from IKEA- that surely says something about her amazing talents in decor. She has the best taste and I’d be a very happy child living in that house and Israel’s room ;)

23. karoline says:

Wow, I love this home! Minimalistic yet personal. Gotta love the scandinavian design, from furniture to wallpaper and Urbanears on your desk;)

24. Liz says:

Love this home! Where is that darling pear print from? I’ve seen it before, but I don’t know the artist…

25. Mariela says:

I love her home ,I’m glad that you are showing her house, beautiful.

26. shalini says:

Lovely airy space. Really like the graphic touches….artwork, striped rug, tree silhouette cushions.

27. quemonique says:

where is the black desk chair (with the fine little day pillow on it) from? i”m looking for something like this but don’t know where to find it!

28. Love this oh so much! The white and wood pairings are stunning.

29. I love how you have displayed the picture books in Israels room.

30. YAY! Jennifer, it looks great! love love!

31. Emily says:

Great home! I’m into wicker these days and curious as to where the light fixture and the ottoman are from? Love them!

32. Sander says:

@quemonique the chair is from Hay, a great danish brand ;) (www.hay.dk)

33. KAT says:

this gets a perfect ten! Would you mind sharing the ebay vendor where you got the gray lounge chair and ottoman? thanks and congrats on creating such a stylish space!

34. emerson says:

!!!! this is so cool!!

35. Emiliana says:

Jennifer, can you please share the white paint color that you use on your walls? They are very clean and I’d love to know! Looks beautiful. Thanks!