sarah burwash

One casualty of being online 24/7 is occasionally feeling numb to new art and design. When you wade through so much of it every day (both in the form of submissions and posts), it’s sadly easy to feel as if nothing will ever knock you off your feet again. But I was gladly knocked off my feet yesterday by the amazing work of artist Sarah Burwash. Not only do I love her incredible body of work, but I also love how her work came to me — via the heartfelt recommendation of a good friend. Few things are sweeter than someone genuinely wanting to celebrate a talented friend. Sarah’s friend Chloe sent me a link, and I think I spent a good 30 minutes clicking through her site and making Amy look at my laptop screen over and over again.

Just when I thought Sarah’s illustrations and drawings were more than enough for a post, I realized that she also makes gorgeous ceramics, jewelry, collages and maps. She is both busy and insanely skilled. Based in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Sarah has such a light hand with her work, and I love that little details pop up in unexpected places. Normally I don’t like to compare artists, but her work reminds me of my favorite aspects of both Lena Corwin and Carson Ellis’ work, but with a completely different spin. I can’t fully describe how much I adore her work, but let’s just say that a lot of these are going on my wish list. Right now. Thanks so much to Chloe for the tip. Click here to check out Sarah’s site, here for her Tumblr and here for her Etsy shop. xo, grace

Many, many more images of Sarah’s work after the jump . . .

1. Leslie says:

These are beautiful! Some of the paintings would make great prints for fabrics too.

2. I like her work, it’s charming and intense at the same time.

3. Sarah says:

AMAZING. Thank you for sharing! I just got lost in her Etsy store… Great stuff.

4. Diana says:

Wow, some of these are really beautiful!

5. Abby says:

These are amazing, I love the ceramic hand.

6. Becca says:

I just love the way the color graduates in some of these pieces. Magical!

7. leanne says:

so wonderful! Each one is so unique and fun! I love them all!

8. Lovely. Sarah your work is amazing! We hope to have you back at the studio again some day so we can be surrounded by it all once more :)

9. Louise says:

these are lovely and reminded me of a friend’s work. Patricia Casey is an Australian artist working in photography and incorporating embroidery with stunning results.

10. Melody says:

Sarah’s on fire these days! I just saw today that she’s the next artist for Papirmasse:

11. Kay says:

Delicately beautiful with intense strength at the same time — a rare combination . Thanks for the viewing privilege. Kay

12. Shield says:

So Scandinavian. Wonderful!

13. Yay! Sarah rocks! Aaand she has an awesome show on Buy Some Damn Art opening July 24th –

14. Noelle says:

I recently came across Sarah’s wonderful work and was her first Etsy sale! I’m the proud owner of Harbour Home:)

15. maria figueiredo says:

Fantastic word.

16. Very sweet and lovely…especially enjoyed the map drawings. Thanks for introducing me to Sarah’s artwork :)