malissa ryder

I’ve slowly been building a small collection of original artwork after selling and giving away my Etsy prints over the past few years. I think I got caught up in trends and ended up buying way too many small things that felt like they were shot out of an inkjet printer, and I missed seeing irregularities and the artist’s hand in each piece. So I’m slowly taking my own advice and buying fewer original pieces that cost a bit more. These gorgeous watercolors are from artist Malissa Ryder in Athens, Georgia. (I really need to live there at some point; it’s such an amazingly creative city.) I found her work on the Leif shop blog and instantly ordered a pair of pink watercolors for my pink bedroom. Malissa offers a huge range of originals under $100 that would make a great start to a new collection. If you’re looking to add some new (and dreamy) watercolors to your home, click here to check out the full collection and shop online. xo, grace

1. rachael says:

These have a very simple, radiant beauty to them. They’re also just a washes with a bit of flooding between colors…so don’t get rid of everything just because these are originals ;)

2. Danielle E says:

These remind me of Rothkos, the smaller versions that fit in one’s house. :)

3. Emily says:

Wow, they are so beautiful. It’s nice to know that things can still be simple but elegant. My favorite is the second one with the light pink.

4. Eleanor says:

I have to agree with Rachael on this one. They’re very sweet & pretty – but are essentially a version of standard watercolour charts that show how to blend colours, such as the ones at the bottom of this link – http://www.fountainstudio.com/watercolor%20tips/tip-mixing_colors.html. Now you can make your own …!

5. Brooke says:

They are pretty, but I have to agree that they’re easy enough to make your own without spending $60 each (yikes!) This looks like sheets of gradients and wet into wet technique practice.

6. Larry says:

Good eye Grace! These are brilliant.

7. nicole says:

Oh I am so pleased to Malissa featured here I love her work and have been a massive fan and supporter of her Etsy shop. I think her pieces are stunning.

8. Erin says:

Simple but can add so much character to a room. Gorgeous!

9. Amy says:

Gotta say it’s refreshing to read about your interest in collecting originals instead of archival ink-jet prints. Maybe it’s a little woo woo, but I think there’s nothing like knowing your piece is infused with the chi of the artist’s hand. It enhances the energy of your space, for sure.

10. I agree about the value of originals. I sell original acrylics on etsy now, but I painted in watercolor for years. So, even without seeing that last painting above in person, I am positive that the pretty granulation you see in that area where the pinkish red and ultramarine blue meet would have a texture and richness that a print can’t fully capture. The same goes for the painting above it where the two colors form an intentional “backrun” (also known as a “bloom”.) I think you made a wise choice in seeking out real art. :)