living in: only you

by

Only You is a charmer of a rom-com. With Robert Downey Jr. at the helm and Marisa Tomei in some killer clothes, it’s covet-worthy in all respects. It tells the story of a woman who follows the advice dished out by a Ouija board in her middle school days and goes to Venice to find her soul mate, and guess what? Hijinks ensue. What you wouldn’t expect is how easy it is to fall for this flick, and its classy nineties-style only helps its cause. — Amy Merrick

1. English Ivy, $9; 2. Max Pendant, $195; 3. Proenza Schouler Shirtdress, $450; 4. Peugeot Wine Opener, $240; 5. Mulberry Duffle Bag, $1200; 6. J.Crew Patent Wedges, $198; 7. Vintage Round Side Table, $995; 8. Selima Sunglasses, $115; 9. Aspinal Lizard Luggage Tags, $35; 10. Ouija Board, $125

That Venice is romantic is probably the world’s worst kept secret. Canal rides and ivy-covered gardens, tiled walls and tanned men — it didn’t take long for us to become smitten. Mistaken identities and cutout dresses only add to the intrigue, and whoops, we just whipped out our credit cards to chase down our soul mates, too.

1. English Floral Tile, $35; 2. Vintage Fluted Sconce; 3. Simon Pearce Hurricane, $235; 4. Cutout Dress, $40; 5. Nickel Soap Basket, $48; 6. Turkish Towel, $34; 7. Clawfoot Tub, $1265; 8. Oval Recycled Glass Vase, $48; 9. Tub Faucet, $77; 10. Spanish Mirror, $495

1. Diane says:

Hi! Just stumbled upon your blog and it’s absolutely gorgeous. Looking forward to exploring it! Oh, and that Mulberry duffle is to die for!

2. Love this movie and the inspiration for the bathroom! I want that glass vase. :)

Christina

3. victoria says:

I love this movie! RDJ is so cute, Marisa is adorable, and Bonnie Hunt has some classic lines.

I want to go to Italy on a whim right this minute!

4. Coby says:

Sounds like my kind of movie :-) and I looove the classy nineties-style shown here!

5. sandra says:

Aw, I love me some young RDJ, he’s just too adorable! I think I need to watch it again.

6. Kelly says:

I adore that movie! Beautiful picks.

7. Anna says:

Oh.My gosh!!! This has been one of my favorite movies since the first time it came out!!! The actors, the scenery, and the style! So glad someone else thinks it is great too :)

8. Marisa says:

This is one of my favorite romantic comedies. I love Marisa Tomei’s style, Bonnie Hunt is hilarious and Robert Downey Jr. is the icing on the cake. Great pick for a “Living In” post.

9. Kristen says:

I had forgotten about this movie! Love that you did a Living In with it. :)

10. wackdelly says:

Great choice! I love when Billy Zane’s wig comes off. I think I’mma gonna watch this movie now.

11. Sarah says:

Ahhh so happy you posted about this movie. I have recently been watching it again and I still love it! Maybe even more now then I did back then. LOVE THIS!!!

12. Claire says:

Oh man, I loved this movie since the first time I saw it in elementary school! So glad it got a “living in” feature. You guys pick the best movies :)

13. Claire says:

My fave movie. Classic style. Classic classic.

14. Courtney says:

Following advice from a Ouija Board? I love it. These shots are beautiful. Can’t wait to watch the movie.

15. Sarah Heat says:

Sourcing that white dress. Nice!

16. Rachel May says:

I’ve been debating switching to those Turkish towels. I saw some in a small shop in Colorado Springs and fell in love! I’m just not sure if the Boyfriend would go for it. They’re so soft after they’ve been washed, though!

Might have to test them out:)

17. Luli says:

This was an incredibly charming movie. I think I should buy it. Thanks for this wonderful post. I feel so inspired.

18. You guys ROCK!!! I loved Marisa’s hair in this movie. It makes me feel misty eyed when I think of some of these old rom-coms with talent like Tomei and Robert Downey Jr, compared to the schlock that comes out now…

19. Fashion-isha says:

Omg these looks and the inspiration from them is amazing!
    xo
    Sharon

20. Patricia Flournoy says:

Thanks so much for reminding me of a favorite movie…your insight on the design element is “spot on”

21. cherie says:

a favorite movie. so many great lines, fabulous fashion, divine settings. “Destino.” “Damon Bradley.” “It-ly.” My favorite: Joaquim de Almeida/Giovanni to Bonnie Hunt/Kate “The stars will be jealous of you tonight.”

22. Erica says:

One of my favorites! Best scene for me was Marisa floating down the stairs to the restaurant in that awesome white dress. This movie also made “Positano” one of my favorite words to say because it rolls off the tongue so beautifully. :)

23. Wendy says:

Where can I find that tub faucet? Love it as well as most everything on the post!

24. Jennifer says:

Well, I have to see this movie now! Anyone who takes advice from a Ouiji board is worth hearing out! Or are they? Great post!

25. christina says:

Loved this movie back in the day – I still remember the fabulous red dress she wears in itally iwth the leg slits…i loooooooooooved that dress….

26. Vicki says:

I forgot about this movie!! Great picks!

Bonnie Hunt is SO under appreciated as an actress.

27. Kate says:

This may be your best “Living In” yet. The bathroom you’ve curated is spot on, and what a great choice for a subject! Only You was an inspired choice. Kudos.

28. Jess says:

One of my favorite movies of all time…you Design Sponge gals have fabulous taste! ;)

29. Peter Mason says:

My wife has been asking about the Selima sunglasses for a while now, and whether they are available in black? I personally really like brown ‘tortoise’ colour that you have used in the above post.

30. hena tayeb says:

oh the white dress..and then there was this red one i think with slits all around.. I love this movie.. it’s perfect for the romantic at heart.

31. Yes! I thought I was the only person who liked this movie. It is one of those ones that is pretty bad, but enjoyably so. Robert Downey Jr was my first heart throb as a kid. Love him in this film. This post is just fantastic.

32. Ingrid says:

YES! I was so obsessed with this movie growing up. I always said if I ever walked the red carpet I’d get someone to make me that white dress/jumper. To diiiieeee for.

33. Now I have to add this movie to my list of movies I need to see, It sounds fun and of course set in Venice was the clincher! I do love that white vintage table and the little black shirt dress!

34. June @So_Meow says:

I fell in love with this movie. I fell in love with THAT BATHROOM!!!!

35. Travelista73 says:

I just LOVE this movie! It is one my all time favorites. I wrote two blog posts on it. It’s visual poetry with all the stunning locations, scenes and fashion. I will be visiting Positano’s Le Sirenuse in a few weeks and hope to live out some magical moments of my own… Wish I had Faith’s wardrobe :)

36. Ginger says:

I was just watching this movie, and thinking this would make a terrific D*S “Living In” post. Guess I either forgot about this or missed it, so I searched, just in case, and yes! Beautiful Italia!