in the kitchen with: kristina’s deviled eggs

Kristina, that’s me! I spend so much time testing other people’s recipes that I rarely get to try my own. This week, I thought I’d do just that: prepare my own recipe. I can’t really tell you why, but I got a craving for deviled eggs. I eat them at most once a year, and this was the time. Growing up, our deviled eggs had sweet pickle relish in them and a sprinkle of paprika on top. Is that a Southern thing? I think it must be, but living in Italy, I couldn’t find sweet pickle relish or even sweet pickles, so I went the opposite direction and chose bacon and chives. The 4th of July is coming up soon, and deviled eggs should definitely be on the table with the barbecue, plus sweet tea or lemonade. — Kristina

About Me: I’m the editor of the In the Kitchen With column, which began in October 2007. Since January of this year, I’ve also been editing the Behind the Bar column while its regular editors take a much deserved break. When I’m not working on In the Kitchen With or Behind the Bar posts, I am pulling things together for the 2DM Blogazine or trying to get my ducks in a row for the Gazzetta Gastronomica. Last year I was chosen as a Lomoamigo and am working on a project for that, using the Lomo Diana, Fisheye Baby and La Sardina. I live in Italy with my sidekick (also a Lomoamigo), dog Zizou, and cat Moonboot. I’m originally from Nashville, Tennessee, am saving my money to buy a Hastens bed, and I believe in the work done by the UN World Food Programme. I’m represented by 2DM agency in Milan.

Find out what substitutions I made to my childhood deviled eggs to bring them into the 21st century after the jump!

Deviled Eggs
Makes 10 pieces

Please use these measurements as a general guideline, and feel free to vary them to fit your palate. You may prefer a different consistency, or more of one ingredient and less of another.

• 5 eggs
  • 4 tablespoons plain yogurt (use non-fat if you like)
  • 1 tablespoon of your favorite mustard
  • 1.5 teaspoons of capers, rinsed and chopped
  • 2 rashers of bacon, fried until crispy
  • 1 tablespoon of chives, cleaned and chopped

1. Cover the eggs with cold water in a pan, bring them to a boil, then remove them from the heat, cover and leave them for 15 minutes. (Thanks Christine!)

2. Drain the water from the pan, and run the eggs under cold water for a few seconds.

3. Peel the eggs, slice in half and carefully scoop out the centers into one bowl with the yogurt, mustard and capers.

4. Mix until the yolks are creamy and uniform. With a small spoon or a pastry bag (or plastic bag with the corner cut off), fill each egg with the yolks mixture.

5. Sprinkle with bacon and chives.

6. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Why I Chose This Recipe

Deviled eggs are quick and easy to make and are usually received with great enthusiasm by lunch guests. The deviled eggs I remember from long ago had pickle relish and paprika in them, but because I couldn’t find those ingredients here, I wanted to do something that wasn’t at all like those eggs from my childhood. (Didn’t want to ruin a memory!) I chose yogurt over mayonnaise because I like yogurt more, and well, the bacon and chives choice speaks for itself! The condiment for these deviled eggs also works quite well with potatoes to make a nice potato salad. (Photo of me below by the lovely guys at Gnambox.)

1. I love it so much that there is bacon on these… :P

2. Christine says:

I have an easier and foolproof method to cook the eggs that I learned in my 7th grade cooking class and has served me well for more than 50 years: Cover the eggs with cold water in a pan, bring them to a boil, then remove them from the heat, cover and leave them for 15 minutes. They will be perfectly cooked and you will save energy as well.

3. Cheryl says:

YUUm just in time for summer!

4. Thuy says:

I also have been getting deviled egg cravings! Sounds like an eggcellent recipe. Will try this weekend!

5. This recipe has three favourites of mine: bacon, egg and yoghurt. I am hosting this weekend’s brunch with family and I am thinking of serving these deviled eggs. I know they are going to love it. Cheers!

6. kristina says:

Hi Christine,

Thanks for catching my mistake!! You are correct– and that is what I meant to write (to bring to boil and let sit), but I let mine sit for 12 minutes, and as you can see that renders a softer yolk. I will adopt your timing in future! I’ll go correct the post with your wording! -Kristina

7. Diana M. says:

these are the best! Here is another great recipe for summer time

8. Lisa says:

I forgot about deviled eggs! This is the time of year for sure. Thanks for the new twist and the pics to get me re-inspired all the way from Italy!

9. tmp says:

yogurt is a great idea, thanks.

10. What a quirk of english is the cooking term devilled.I mean it sounds like you take your taste buds to the edge of purgatory ?I’ve got a nice “devilled hollandaise” on the menu at the moment,with fried onion rings served on steak.I make it with the addition of worcestishire sc and american mustard (because it’s a bit sweet),it’s a bit like warm dijonaise.Three cheers for “devilled”

11. Kim says:

Kristina, you got me curious about that Hastens bed….can you give me an idea of what a mattress costs?? Nowhere on their site is pricing…a little scary, but they look wonderfully soft and with a 25 yr warranty how can one go wrong?

Love the deviled egg recipe, too, by the way. ;) I’m going to try the yogurt instead of mayo. Sounds delicious.

12. kristina says:

Hahah Kim, you can go to the UK site, I believe and download the price list. The prices were equalised across all markets a couple of years ago, so they should be the same pretty much in the US as in the UK. I’d love to have a Luxuria, but the Jubilee special edition really caught my eye this year.

13. John Batt says:

Believe it or not, I’d never actually heard of deviled eggs until just now…they look delicious, and healthy, nom :)

I’ve got a bbq coming up, with some particularly ‘sophisticated’ guests – this will be a perfect menu choice for them!