in the kitchen with: bryant terry’s cafe brulot lace cookies

This week’s vegan cookie and last week’s best of vegan recipes really have nothing to do with each other. I did notice, however, when going through our archives that we don’t have many sweet vegan dishes, so I am very happy to have this recipe for Café Brûlot Lace Cookies, which comes from author, activist and trained chef Bryant Terry’s newest cookbook, The Inspired Vegan. Normally, we look for unpublished recipes, but Bryant’s book is so nice and the recipe so easy to make that I thought you would enjoy it. As I had these cookies cooling on the table, the smell of all the spices and coffee was heavenly. It filled the room and made me think twice about whether I should eat them or keep them for the scent! When I finally broke down, I was happy to confirm that they tasted as good as they smelled.  You will see from the images that this cookie does spread, so be sure to give it room on the baking tray. — Kristina

About Bryant: Bryant Terry is a trained chef, food justice activist and author of three books, including his latest, The Inspired Vegan. He is also the host of Urban Organic, a new multi-episode web series. His interest in cooking, farming and community health can be traced back to his childhood in Memphis, Tennessee, where his grandparents inspired him to grow, prepare and appreciate good food. He lives and creates in Oakland, California, with his wife and daughter.

See more about Café Brûlot and the recipe for Bryant’s cookies after the jump . . .

Café Brûlot Lace Cookies

Café Brûlot is a traditional New Orleans after-dinner drink that is hot, strong, and flavorful. Here, I offer lace cookies — dainty drop cookies with lacelike holes — that draw inspiration from the flavors of this Creole classic: coffee, citrus, cinnamon, and cloves. Although brandy is a prominent ingredient in the drink, I chose to leave it out of this cookie, as I’m not crazy about alcohol in desserts. But if you’d like to “kick it up a notch,” as my friend Emeril Lagasse would say, you can replace 1 tablespoon of the rice milk with 1 tablespoon of brandy. Bam.

• 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 pinches of ground cloves
  • 6 tablespoons coconut butter or oil
  • 1/2 cup raw organic cane sugar
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons rice milk
  • 2 teaspoons finely ground coffee
  • 1/8 teaspoon orange extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease two large baking sheets, or line with parchment paper. In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside. In a medium-size saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut butter if necessary. Stir in the sugar, coffee, orange extract, orange zest, and lemon zest, and salt until well blended.

2. Combine the dry mixture with the wet mixture and stir until well combined and smooth in texture. Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls about 4 inches apart onto the baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.

Book photography by Jennifer Martine, recipe photography in this post by Kristina Gill

Why Bryant Loves These Cookies

I love these cookies because they transport me back to all-night study sessions at Cafe Du Monde during undergrad at Xavier College in New Orleans.

1. Courtney says:

Now I’m dying to try this take on the oatmeal cookie. Intrigued by all of the spices! I bet it is delish.

2. These cookies look so tasty. I have been looking for a seasonal cookbook. And I am a new to the vegetarian world, so I think I will have to add this vegan inspired cookbook to my wish list. I’m wondering if you know my good friend Niki Henderson with the People’s Grocery in Oakland. I live in the Bay Area too. So happy I stumbled upon this article. Thank you!

3. amy chaplin says:

So happy to see a vegan recipe here, these look great as does the book!

4. Yum! My mom always makes lace cookies for Christmas so they hold a special place in my heart. These sound great!

5. Charlotte says:

can’t wait to try these and pick up the book… : )

6. sarah says:

looks so good. looks like a peanut butter cookie i tried to make with margerine instead of butter, they tasted really good, if a little oily. I’ll try these out.

7. Theresa says:

I am buying this book now!

8. OMG, those cookies look delicious!

9. Charlotte says:

These look amazing! Thanks so much for including vegan recipes.

10. Ozge says:

I have just tried the recipe and it ended up perfectly. I did not have any maple syrup so I added honey. And there were no cloves left, I tried mahaleb (it is something we add to baked goods all the time. Smells wonderful). Thank you for sharing this…

11. They look so simple to make! I can’t wait to try them!

12. L says:

Just baked these. DELICIOUS! Thought they were a bit sweet though.. I’d reduce the sugar next time (although I’m not sure how that would affect the “lace”). Itching to buy his books now!

13. Emily says:

That book is awesome. We have a copy at our house and it’s arranged so well. The recipes are original and delicious. Even for non-vegans, this book is truly inspiring!

14. Elisabeth Gorham says:

For some reason mine stayed in their ball shape and did not spread out at all. Hmmm. Still tatste delicious just not Lacey. Followed the recipe exactly.

15. Morgen says:

Absolutely delicious … made them as a special treat for my birthday party and couldn’t be more pleased! Will be trying the brandy boost next batch.