herriott grace documentary

Herriott Grace Trailer from John Cullen on Vimeo.

If you haven’t heard of Herriott Grace, you’re in for a treat. When Nikole Herriott moved 2,100 miles away from home in Victoria, British Columbia, to Toronto (you can see a sneak peek of Nikole’s Toronto home here), her dad, Lance, a woodworker, began to send packages to his daughter as a way to stay in touch. Occasionally, he would include one of the small wooden spoons he hand carved. Nikole loved them and thought others would, too. So together, the father and daughter began Herriott Grace. (The full story is here.) Their online shop has grown into a full housewares line (the hand-carved pieces made by Lance sell out as quickly as he can make them), and Nikole writes the popular blog Forty-sixth at Grace, where her beautiful photography documents her forays into the kitchen. Many who know of Herriott Grace know of Nikole, but she wanted us to get to know her dad, too. So Nikole flew to BC with filmmaker John Cullen where they spent 10 days with Nikole’s dad, making a documentary. The full documentary is 27 minutes long and will premier on Herriott Grace on June 14, but this morning, we get a little sneak peek. — Amy Azzarito

Image above: Photography by Michael Graydon

1. Rebecca says:

YES YES YES! I’ve wanted to know more about the craftsman behind Herriott Grace! Can’t wait for the 14…thanks for the sneak peek! :)

2. What a wonderful little sneak peel…but I can’t help but drool over that drawer full of hand carved spoons! Look at them…can I pluck just one??

3. Bethany says:

Oh, I went over to have a look at their shop. Lovely, lovely stuff! So much already sold! Sob!

You might be interested in another Victoria carver, David Western. He makes Welsh Lovespoons. Absolutely gorgeous, one of a kind pieces. davidwesternlovespoons.com

4. Like I said on Twitter; can’t wait for June 14th!

5. Bryan says:

wow! this video sneek peek is great you guys.

6. So sweet! I love my collection of Herriott Grace and always enjoying adding a special piece to it. Beautiful, functional art.

7. Ursula says:

OMG this little sneak peek is an amazing piece of art! Truly can’t wait for the full documentary! Just 2 days before my birthday ;)

8. Paola Mendez says:

I love Herriott Grace! I have their cloud cookie cutter :)

9. Jess says:

This look so great! :)

10. My grandpa used to be a woodworker, so I pretty much adore Herriott Grace. Their styling is always gorgeous too

11. Lisa says:

wow Nicole the creativity is growing.

12. Exciting. This is Design Sponge, at its best. I had this kind of relationship with my father … Thank you for sharing.

13. Melissa Hernandez says:

It’s so great to see this film about two amazingly talented people. Plus, I get to see Nikole in motion… I take pics of her hair to my hairdresser pretty much every time I get my hair cut. :D

14. Amelia Rhea says:

Love Herriott Grace… I bought one of her cloud cookie cutters. Their stuff is so well made. And I really love the fact that it’s a father-daughter run thing.

15. This looks FABULOUS!!! :) I am looking forward to seeing it!