extra extra: the 2012 design*sponge newspaper is out!

Today I am thrilled and overjoyed to announce that our 2012 Design*Sponge Newspaper is out! Last year Amy, Kate and I embarked upon an incredibly last-minute journey to produce a print newspaper and had so much fun in the process. This year we decided to try again, but with a new theme: Summer Camp! Inspired by the 100 Year Anniversary of the Girl Scouts, we came up with 32 pages of ideas that will get you back in the camp frame of mind. From recipes and DIY projects to camp tours and puzzles, we wanted to gather a wide range of ideas that would inspire you to make something with your own two hands, whether that takes place in the great outdoors or in your own apartment. Want to know what’s inside? Here’s a preview of this year’s 32 page paper, organized by achievement badges (all of which were custom-designed and embroidered by Maricor/Marcar!):

• Camping Badge: Summer Camp Tour + Tips for creating your own indoor camp
  • Crafting Badge: 4 camp-inspired DIY projects for the home
  • Scavenger Badge: Illustrated Beach and Forest scavenger lists to take with you on trips. The paper’s decorative centerfold has spaces for you to pin or glue your finds for displaying!
  • Camp Cook Badge: 3 recipes (drink, dinner and dessert) from The Jewels of New York that are perfect for summer camping
  • Games Badge: Summer camp themed Rebus Puzzles and Matchstick Puzzles
  • Storyteller Badge: The history behind some of our favorite camp crafts like Macrame and Tie Dye

Last year’s newspaper was a test-run with a limited distribution and we were thrilled to receive requests for the paper from across the globe. Our goal for this year was to have the paper available in print for anyone who wanted a copy, so I’m thrilled to announce that we will be selling the paper online, both domestically and internationally for anyone who wants a copy. In addition to online ordering, we are very happy to announce that the 2012 Design*Sponge Newspaper will be available in-store exclusively through Anthropologie. So, if you don’t want to wait for a copy to arrive in the mail, starting today you can visit ANY Anthropologie store (click here for all locations across the US) and pick up a copy in person for $5.

• In Person: Visit any Anthropologie store (store locations here) to pick up a copy for $5
  • By Mail: Click here to order a copy online for $5 + shipping (Shipping costs: $1 domestic and $5 international)

Thank you so much to everyone who helped make this year’s paper possible. Amy Azzarito, Kate Pruitt, Walton Press, Anthropologie, Jenny Volvolski, Julia Rothman, Kim Krans, Lucy Engelman, Emily Anderson, Annica Lydenberg, Laura Buchan, Maricor/Maricar, Camp Wandawega, Jewels of New York and Anne McClain.

We threw a summer camp-themed party to celebrate the newspaper and our new office, so I thought I’d share some photos from that big night. Thank you to everyone who came to celebrate with us and thank you to all of you for reading- I hope you enjoy this year’s paper! xo, grace

1. Jody says:

Yay! Grace and team–your talents are amazing. Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy!

2. Claire Bock says:

Will the paper be available at Anthropologie in the UK?

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Claire – I’m sorry. It’s only available at Anthro stores in the U.S.

3. Katie says:

Hi Grace!

I’m having an issue with the online order form. It’s not letting me submit the form with the “international” shipping option selected. It’s acting as though I have not selected anything. I’ve tried it in Safari and Chrome…! Just wanted to give you a heads up.

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Katie – Please make sure that your using the most updated version of the browsers and you’ve filled everything out in the form properly. It won’t give you payment options. If you haven’t filled out the form correctly, it won’t give you the payment options. Let me know, if it’s still not working, and we’ll email you directly.

4. Katie says:

I love the idea of friendship bracelet curtain ties! I’ve been looking for something to replace my plain ribbons (which were always intended to be a stop gap) and this could be perfect…

5. Robin says:

Congrats! I can’t wait to pick one up at Anthro.

6. J says:

The Anthro in Boston actually had them out for sale last week, so I enjoyed mine all weekend :) it looks great, I’m so glad I got a copy this year!

7. Marcie says:

Any way we can send in money orders – from the United States?

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Marcie –
      I’m sorry. We can’t accept money orders.

8. Kari says:

Hello! I’m also having the same problem for international shipping. It says to select an option, but when international is selected it still gives the error?

9. Clarissa says:

I just ordered my copy! I’m a grad student on a very tight budget but I know this publication will be worth every penny. So excited to receive it!

10. Shelley McD says:

I am also having the same problem with the international shippping option :(

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi guys –
      We’ll check on the international shipping tomorrow. Can you double check that you’re filling out the form completely?

11. Megan says:

Oh goodness, just when I thought I couldn’t like Design Sponge more… you add a dose of summer camp. I am a summer camp lifer and lover of the great outdoors (and the great indoors… as we affectionately call our craftshop where I spent a lot of time while on staff). I actually just got up to visit my New Hampshire summer camp and posted a mini photo tour last week! (http://megantada.blogspot.com/2012/06/weekend-waygone-1.html) There’s the link in case you feel the urge to indulge on more old-timey-goodness, wooden cabins, pine needle paths, bunk beds, waterfront swimming areas, campfires, and an excellence plaque. Yes, an excellence plaque, along with an honor plaque awarded each week to whichever cabins got the highest marks on morning inspection. Gosh, I miss it! I can hear the bugle calls now! So glad to see you dive into the wonderful world of summer camp!!

12. yayy, i’ll be heading over to Anthropologie pronto!

13. Cyn | decyng says:

You are such a talented team!! I really admire you all and all your work. Greetings and Congratulations from Argentina! I wish there were things like that here!

14. Courtney says:

This is so fun, and I love the summer camp idea. Looks like you’ve all done such a fantastic job. But not that I’d expect anything else from this team!

15. Tiffany says:

Same problem with international shipping, tried selecting USA and then reselecting international, but still a no go. Look forward to ordering it though! Summer and camping and design sponge? Yes please.

16. Keely says:

This looks awesome! I just ordered my copy, can’t wait to see all the goodness :)

17. Mihaeko says:

This looks like so much fun! Nice work.

18. Reagan says:

Looks… interesting lol

19. Annie says:

Hello, I just tried to buy the Newspaper with an international address and unfortunately it’s still not working. I encountered the same problem as Katie. Hope it will sort it’s self out. Can’t wait to buy it!

20. Jennifer says:

Fun theme–just ordered mine!

21. Pam says:

Hi Amy, I’m having the same problem with the form when I try and select “International”, and am filling it out completely. I’ll check back tomorrow!

22. Dee Clements says:

I love Design Sponge and read it everyday. The projects, tutorials and features are creative, stylish and inspirational. I imagine D*S Newspaper will be equally as great. However, if you are promoting D.I.Y home decor and capturing people’s unique style why sell at Anthropologie–the largest retail chain that sells pre-packaged, mass produced wears and home decor? How about selling D*S Newspaper at the little and the local shops who grace your very pages?

23. Seriously, could you guys get any more awesome?! Looks like I’ll be heading over to Anthro ths weekend :)

24. Jennie says:

Hi there, can’t wait to order it but I’ve also had the same problem with the International shipping. I’ve filled out the form completely but when I hit submit I get an error message that either USA or International has to be selected even though International already is. I experimented by changing it to USA and it took me to the payment page even though the address was an international one.

25. Krista says:

I’m having the same problems as the other international buyers above. It keeps telling me that I need to select an option, even when International is highlited.

26. Carol says:

Love the illustrations~can I ask who did them? I met Amy & Grace and their Moms at terrain on Mother’s Day and just want to say how excited I was. Same last name if you remember? Can’t wait to go to Anthro and pick up a copy of the newspaper. Everything looks like so much fun.

27. meg says:

YEA! Thank you so much for doing this again!

28. Karine says:

I am having issues as well with the international shipping option. I was too late last year and I missed out (thank you for the pdf version btw, it made my day) so really don’t want that to happen again. merci!

29. This turned out so incredibly perfect and fun! It was a blast to be a part of this project. I’ll be waiting on my front step for the mail to get here. So much beautiful adventure and summer time magic I cant wait :)

30. Margrete says:

Same problem here.. Trying to order for Norway if that is of any help..

31. Mandy says:

The people at Anthropologie in Santa Monica looked at me like I had two heads last night when I went looking for it last night.

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Mandy –
      I’m so sorry. I’ll check in on it.

32. uli says:

International still doesn’t seem to work…

33. Matilde says:

Hello DS! I’m reallu excited to get my hands on a copy of the newspaper, but I can´t seem to submit the form as the ‘International’ option doesn’t work. I’ve tried on different, updated browsers but still nothing..

Any other way to order?

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi guys – If you’re having problems with an international order, could you please email: “designsponge at gmail dot com” with the subject line “newspaper order” and we’ll do it manually. Thanks! Amy

34. Shawna says:

I just bought my copy from Anthro and I’m so excited! I know what I’m doing tonight.

35. Jamie says:

When do we get to see the office?

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Jamie –
      We still want to put a few finishing touches on the space, but we definitely want to show it to everyone very soon! :)
      xo Amy

36. dana says:

exciting! I’ll head out to Anthropologie tonight and get my very own copy!

37. dana says:

Argh! Just called three stores and California doesn’t have it yet! Hopefully soon!

38. Jill says:

Hey! Sadly the ‘international orders’ drop down still isn’t working (I’m using an android tablet which is up to date). Are you still needing us to email you our details to place an order? Jill x

39. Adriana says:

Hello! Im haveing trouble with the international order as well. Its not working. Hope you can email me. Thanks!

41. So freakin’ awesome! I’m heading to Anthropologie! That s’mores and raspberries recipes looks mouth watering good!!!!

42. ashley says:

woo hoo! so excited for the paper!! SO happy you’re sending them this year. :)

43. Michelle says:

I am desperate for a copy too! And the international option isn’t working for me either…

Hi Design Sponge ( my fav newsletter)
    Please tell me how to print the BEACH SCAVENGER LIST, and the KNOTTED CURTAIN TIE BACKS.
    I want to give these to my younger and older grandchildren for fun summer activity.
    Thank you. (7/6/2012)

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Jean –
      The full instructions are available in the newspaper, which is sold at Anthropologie stores or via the link above.

45. I got my copy last week and love it! I ended up framing the Scavenger’s Checklists because I thought the illustrations were so beautiful. I also blogged about it http://pineconeplace.blogspot.com/2012/07/unique-art-framing-pages-from-camp.html
    Thanks for the inspiration! Ashlyn

1. Grace Bonney says:

thank you SO much for the kind blog post! i’m so glad you liked it enough to frame it- that really made my day :)

46. Mary Locke says:

Hi everyone! I’m leaving this comment because I placed my order on the 25th, but it’s not come yet… How can I check that you did get the order? Thanks!

1. Grace Bonney says:

orders are processed within a week of being received and then are sent flat rate, so it may take 2 weeks. if you haven’t received it yet please send me an email at designsponge@gmail.com and i’ll check on it personally :)

47. Maiko says:

Ordered one a little more than two weeks ago (paid through PayPal) and still haven’t gotten mine… Hope it comes soon!

48. jess s says:

I work for a Girl Scout council and would love to have a couple extra copies to share with people in my office. I already ordered my personal copy, but is there an easier way to bulk order multiple copies? It seems like the only way I can do it is to “check out” multiple times. If not, that’s fine, just thought I’d ask.

1. Grace Bonney says:

just shoot me an email at designsponge at gmail dot com :)