diy project: fish scale pendant lamp

This is the second project we’ve shared from designer Kara Paslay in recent weeks, and again she’s managed to reintroduce me to a cool technique I had long forgotten about. Inspired by the ocean, Kara decided to transform a simple paper globe into a beautiful sculptural pendant lamp. By dyeing and dipping cut paper rounds into wax, Kara has transformed the material into an almost unrecognizable state. The “scales” have a glowing, translucent finish and a gorgeous deep watery hue, giving the lamp a beautiful texture, whether it’s unlit or switched on and glowing from within.

I can’t get over how far removed the end result is from a simple paper globe, and given that the whole project cost around $20 and can be done in an afternoon makes it even more appealing! If you’re looking to add some oceany colors and textures to your home for summer, this inexpensive and easy project might be the perfect choice. Thanks for sharing, Kara! Kate

Have a DIY project you’d like to share? Just shoot me an email with your images right here! (Low res, under 500k per image, please.)

Read the full how-to after the jump . . .

Every year around this time, I start to daydream about the beach and the beautiful scenery that surrounds it. My beach dreaming, coupled with my love for the fish scale pattern and obsession with unique lighting fixtures spurred the idea for this fresh and fun DIY project. The different dye baths used in the project create a ton of watery texture, while the wax technique allows light to filter through the piece and adds to that “scale like” feel. The project can be completed in an afternoon for about $20, which means all of us who can’t make it to the deep blue sea this summer can at least surround ourselves with something sea inspired! Happy creating! — Kara Paslay

Materials

• 110# paper
  • circle cutter (available at most craft stores)
  • Rit Dye
  • paraffin wax
  • mineral oil
  • crock pot
  • extra bowl
  • white paper lantern
  • glue gun

Instructions

1. Use your circle cutter and use 110# paper to create around 200 circles. The 200 circles will cover a 14 in. paper lantern.

2. Place the cut circles into a bucket of Rit Dye (I used the purple and purple mixed with teal) and allow them to darken to your taste. I chose to make my circles different shades to enhance the texture of the final piece.

3. Create a double boiler with your crock pot and extra bowl. Put a block of the paraffin wax in the extra bowl to melt. Once the wax is melted, add mineral oil to thin the wax. Make sure your circles are dry and then dip each one into the wax, making sure to leave a portion of the top clean and clear of any wax. Lay the circle on wax paper to dry.

Note: Dipping the circles in the wax makes the paper transparent and allows the light to pass through it more easily.

4. Once the wax has dried, start attaching the circles to a white paper lantern. Use a glue gun and be sure to place the glue on the portion of the circle that does not have wax on it.

5. Work your way around the lantern until it is fully covered. I started at the bottom and overlapped my circles in a fish scale-like pattern so the top layer would be at the top of the lantern.

6. Use the lighting kit that comes with the lantern to create an amazing light fixture!

Note: I tested the lantern using a 60 watt compact florescent lightbulb, and the wax stayed cool and completely intact. I recommend sticking with compact florescent bulbs to keep the heat in check.

1. what size paper punch did you use??? I bought a 3.5 inch, will that work?

2. Maure Briggs-Carrington says:

Totally LOVE ! Would the weight of the paper be about like cardstock ?

3. Cássia says:

Wow! Amazing! :)

4. Jesse says:

So glad I pinned this! Gonna try it soon for a bedroom upstairs that is slightly nautical, without all the oars and life preservers – just a hint :D

5. leila khosrofar says:

nice

6. leila khosrofar says:

7. Felicia says:

Cannot wait to do this! Beautiful. :)

8. Rena Abraham says:

This is such an old post I don’t know if I’ll get a response or not. I am DYING to make this but I have 2 problems. 1. what size circle punch do I need to buy and 2. where can I get #110 paper. I have tried several craft stores in OKC and nobody even knows what I’m talking about much less whether they have it or not. One person told me the paper would be thinner then tissue paper and another said it would be thicker then card stock!! Please help me!!! I can’t wait to make this!

9. Robin says:

I want to make this too and am wondering about the circle size as well. The 110# paper can be found at Staples – I believe it’s a similar weight to index cards. I went to Joann’s at first and they didn’t have it either. Hope that helps.

10. Asha says:

beautiful …

good project. good idea too

11. Carrie says:

WOW! I want to make one now.

12. Tierney bough says:

Cute wanna try a couple of theses for my room !!!!'<3:)

13. Kendra says:

I just did this project. However mine is blue and teal. I used a 2 1/2 in circle cut out. I needed closer to 270 circles. To get really cool patterns and diff textures on the circles sprinkle some dry dye on a some wax paper and wipe a few wet dyed circles over it gently. Then take some plain white ones wipe it over the spread out dye that is now wet. Let the circles dry for 5 mins then dye them like you would the other circles. They come out wicked cool!
    The hardest thing to find was the paraffin wax, go to a beauty supply store. The paper I found at Walmart in the scrap booking section. Its just thicker than normal paper. As for getting the water to dye ratio. I winged it. I poured 5 cups of hot water into a bucket with a sprinkle of dye. Tested it with the paper left over from the cut outs. I just kept adding dye until the color was right. The longer you let the paper sit in the dye the darker the paper will turn.
    One thing I found if you add to many circles to the dye at the same time they stick to each other. You spend your time pulling them apart and only the edges get the dye. Hope you have fun making your own!

14. Hollie says:

Just completed this project last week and I’m in love! This looks great in the apartment, I hung 3 in the hallway. I wasn’t able to find a paper lantern that already had a light of some sort in it so I went the the party store and bought a pack of 3 smaller sized ones, decided to find lights for them later.
    I ended up buying what was almost poster board and cutting circles by hand (crazy, I know). The dye was super simple, but I wasn’t totally satisfied with just plain dipping the circles in. I ended up putting them on a sheet of plastic and randomly sprinkling them with the powder dye I had left over and more drops of dye. It turned out wonderfully!
    Only thing I am concerned about is the next time we move… the wax paper is of course a bit fragile and if they are bent far enough the wax falls off of them. But they look SO cute hanging up, better than anything bought in a retail store! Thanks so much for the idea, it was a fun weekend!

15. catherine says:

I know I am kind of late on posting…but you can get paraffin at any grocery store in the aisle with baking supplies.

16. Alice says:

This is a fantastic idea! Definitely going to give it a go using a similar colour scheme.

17. LaTavia says:

Love this project. I was wondering if the paper has to be #110lbs what 90lbs? thanks again for sharing a wonderful project.

18. Zuleikha says:

A beautiful project ,I will try my hand on it .