diy project: copper curtain rod with geometric cube finials

This is the third installment of Brittany Watson Jepsen’s summer DIY series. Check out her previous projects here and here. Thanks so much for sharing your DIY talents with us, Brittany! It’s great to have you back :) — Kate

I’ve had copper plumbing tubing on my mind lately, and I’ve been thinking about how to apply it to a beautiful home setting. Since we haven’t done much to our little apartment since moving in, I thought I’d experiment and find some uses for it. This DIY is SUPER simple if you just have basic drilling skills, and trust me, before this I did not, which means that anyone can do it. — Brittany Watson Jepsen

Photography by Hilda Grahnat

Read the full how-to after the jump . . .

• copper tubing (I used 22mm)
  • curtain rod holders
  • wood cube
  • bronze spray paint
  • drill with same size bit as copper tubing

1. Start by creating the geometric pattern on the wood cube by covering diagonals with masking tape on each side.

2. Spray paint the open areas of the wood cube. Let it sit on one unpainted side until it’s dry, then mask and paint another side.

3. Repeat for the other wood cube.

4. Spray paint the curtain rod holders.

5. Drill the holders into the wall where you’d like to place the curtain rod and secure the piece of copper tubing on top.

6. Add your curtains and then attach the wood finials on either side of the tubing and voila!

These rods are so simple but add just the right amount of pop to your room. Enjoy!

1. Sara L. says:

Neat! I love the copper with the black and white stripes. Might have to try this!

2. oh, love the bronze color / copper!

3. So cute!! Love the copper!

4. K says:

I love the use of copper piping — I always admire it at the hardware store and wonder what I could do with it. I also like her copper finger tips!

5. Haley says:

This is a great idea! How much does it end up costing per curtain rod? Just a ballpark. Thank you!

6. I’m thinking about doing this in my studio- LOVE the copper! Thanks for sharing!!

7. Brittany says:

@Haley, I bought mine in Denmark which is much more expensive. This was about $80 for a 5 meter piece and I used 2 meters here. Don’t know if that helps. If you look for “copper plumbing” it shouldn’t be too expensive.

8. Anne says:

Some decorative molding would look amazing on those windows. Check out what I did in my living room:

9. Steve says:

I caution viewers to use proper safety precautions when using power tools. The picture of her holding a wood block as she drills the hole, made me flinch. I think it would have been wiser to use vice or at least leather gloves.

Save yourself a trip to the hospital. You don’t want your economical curtains to cost hundreds of dollars in emergency room bills.

10. Diana M. says:

this is great DIY for the room. Here is my fashion DIY if someone loves large leather pockets

11. Love the idea of using copper plumbing as a curtain rod! Done!

12. Katie says:

Very cute project, but safety is more important than aesthetics. I agree with Steve; not worth losing part of your palm or thumb for.

For any power drill novice trying to jump from no experience to using a huge spade bit, please clamp your wood to the table. Yikes.

13. I’ve used copper tubing/pipes for all the bedroom window in my house. Another great simple solution for the ends is just to use the copper end caps in the plumbing department (near the tubing). The spray paint is a great idea to make the brackets match. Mine are nickel but work with the silver grommets on the curtains. Such a quick, simple and inexpensive solution for curtains. :)

14. how2home says:

This is such a fun project! It’s simple but so eye catching and original! Instead of cube wood box, what can i replace it with?

15. barbara says:

If you want to make your project look more professional, Make your Rod longer so the Bracket is on the outside of the window trim. This lets the drape hang to cover the trim. Also if you want to make your window look bigger and you have room, Make the rod 12″ or so bigger than the window and let alot of the glass show.

16. Lorna says:

I love it. Its a great project.

17. Greetings! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and
    starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us useful information to work
    on. You have done a extraordinary job!

18. Marsha says:

This is beautiful and certainly something I will tackle in my own home! Between keeping up with my family and my job at Dish, having a creative outlet through DIY is a must! It’s nice to find a blog like yours that lays the projects out in such an easy-to-follow manner. Keep it up! Because of the lack of good blogs, usually I just DVR stuff on HDTV or the DIY network so I can pause and rewind projects and keep up with it at home. I have tons of projects recorded on the Hopper (my whole home HD DVR), and the memory space for recording is so extensive (2,000 hrs). So, if I like a project, I simply record it and reference it later, even if it aired months ago. Thanks for the post and I’ll tell you how it turns out for me!

19. Another amazing project! We are house-sitting right now but I am so ready to move so I can experiment with curtains! Going to keep this one on the back burner!

20. Maeve says:

we literally just put copper rods up in our living room. we used steel wool to clean the impurities off of the copper. It also creates a really shiny and beautiful finish. If you spray the pipe with a glossy krylon or polyurethane it will help hold the color and shine! they are so beautiful!!