Blue Eagle Pottery

I’m a sucker for a huge mug. I like to wrap all four fingers around the handle, and the mug itself should be big enough for a vast quantity of coffee. So when I popped into the new Williamsburg shop Mociun, my gaze flew right past the beautiful jewelry (and there was lovely jewelry) and pillows to these large sturdy mugs. The mugs and other pottery are made just outside of Woodstock, Illinois, by husband-and-wife team Robert Blue and Susan B. Galloway. They built their gallery and studio in 1983, shortly after getting married, but they each brought their own experience with pottery: Robert had worked with clay since 1967 and Susan since 1969. There was just something about the glaze that resonated with me. It feels a bit like you’re looking at a desert landscape. Now that I’ve discovered the mugs, I’m sort of obsessed with the entire set. You can join in my pottery lust here. — Amy Azzarito

1. Courtney says:

These are really, really lovely. Mugs are my favorite domestic indulgence. I just cannot get enough. And the bigger, the better!

2. yeshen says:

Lovely. Cool use of a drip glaze and pattern. Our fav are the plates, I would serve up a smaller bit of food on the plain half so I could enjoy the design.

3. Jaclyn says:

beautiful handmade mugs to cherish!

4. Becca says:

I was just in Mociun on Sunday and also had to admire these mugs! The plates are also pretty spectacular. Someday I want to have plates and mugs that are all beautiful potter like this. In the town I grew up in on Cape Cod there is a pottery studio called Scargo Pottery that makes beautiful things like this as well. It’s a family business which I love. We just got two really large mugs last time we were there.

5. Steph says:

These are great! I love big mugs too – I’m on the look out for more because 3 of my beloved giant pottery mugs are leaking :(. It makes me so sad!

6. marie says:

gorgeous… i love any kind of earthenware that still remains a bit raw.

i might have said this in comments before, but you’d absolutely love mccarty’s pottery in marigold, mississippi. lee and pup mccarty started their work with clay from william faulkner’s land, and have been making amazing work since the 50s or 60s… and their shop’s secret garden would be a feature tour on it’s own.

7. I would love to drink my coffee out of those mugs…beautiful colors!

8. Sarah says:

So so pretty–what a treat to sip from those! The calligraphy-style signature reminded me of a lovely, quiet village I discovered when I was living in Japan. Mashiko is just north of Tokyo and the streets are literally lined with gorgeous handcrafted pottery (and textile studios too!). A wonderful detour for anyone headed that way.

9. Bridget says:

Love. Reminds me a bit of the dreamy work of my pal and coworker Emily Haynes: http://bit.ly/LRlFDI

–www.pippascabinet.blogspot.com

10. what a lovely, lovely pattern.

11. Merideth says:

If you happen to be closer to the Midwest, Robert Blue is also part of the Juried Illinois Artisan Program in his home state Illinois. His work can be seen and purchased at four museum quality galleries throughout Illinois (www.museum.state.il.us/programs/illinois-artisans/).

You can also find a catalog of his work and read his artist statement at http://www.blueeaglepottery.com Be sure to check out his beautiful oil spot blue series.

12. Jordan G. says:

I stopped in here about a month back and as surprised at how ‘at home’ it was. Delicate pieces but uniquely styled, simple and friendly. I was able to pick up four tumblers from this line and haven’t used anything since. Thanks for coming to the neighborhood Mociun.

13. Roseanne says:

reminds me a bit of japanese stoneware from the 70’s which i am currently coveting. same tones, handmade feeling and natural elements.

14. Ayla H. says:

Found this article though their daughter Shannon. =) I Have such good memories of the Blue’s pottery. =) So beautiful! Seeing these pictures brought a flashback of my childhood. <3

15. Naomi says:

I cannot wait to visit the Mociun Store – It looks so well curated!

16. Ellen Blue says:

Hi, Bob,
    This is your old sister in law, Ellen Blue.
    Beautiful pottery!
    Do you know where I might get in touch withSteve?
    Skyblues@ gmail.com