before & after: kitchen + dining room redo

I’ve been watching a string of renovation shows lately. I don’t know what it says about me, but my favorite scenes are definitely the demolitions. I think I’m itching to break down some walls and remove bulky old cabinets in my own apartment, and even though I can’t actually take hammer in hand, I find this kitchen project particularly inspiring.

Photographer Jayme Lang and her husband just bought their first home in Vancouver. Fearlessly, they decided to gut the kitchen in order to rebuild their dream space. The newly designed kitchen is beautiful — so open and bright, with a gorgeous band of charcoal gray above a clean combination of open shelving and simple white cabinetry. The dining room is an equally successful mix of crisp white, mid-century touches and beautiful wood floors. If these two rooms are any indication, the whole home will be stunning in no time. Nicely done, Jayme! — Kate

Read the full post after the jump . . .

Time: about six weeks

Cost: about $10,000 (including demolition, floors, all new appliances, custom cabinets, counters, and new dishes)

Basic Steps: Our inspiration for this kitchen (and the whole house really) came from lots of research . . . lots of Dwell Magazine, basically :) We had a basic idea of what we wanted: modern and clean, white glossy cabinets, and grey counters. With the original layout of the kitchen, however, what we wanted wasn’t going to work, so we had to start with nothing.

We gutted the whole kitchen (originally we wanted to knock down the wall beside the stove, but later found out it was a supportive wall and held all of the electrical and plumbing), designed a new layout, and then had it built. Our good friend Lily Ellis actually did the design for us, and then we had Generation Cabinets do the fabrication and installation.

If we were to do this again, we would 100% take more time. It was super stressful being on such a time crunch. But I think the biggest advice I can give is to know what you want. I knew exactly what I wanted for each room. It’s still so amazing to walk through our house (especially the kitchen) and see all our ideas and wants right there. — Jayme

Sources:
Paint: Mistaya by General Paint (walls), Raccoon by General Paint (charcoal trim in kitchen)
Dining Room Light: George Nelson

1. Jay says:

Incredible transformation especially considering the expense.

2. Rachel says:

So pretty and so clean! I’m crazy about that charcoal band.

3. Beth says:

This is so helpful. Our kitchen has a similar soffit, an we are agonizing over taking it out (by hiring a professional) or working around it. It’s nice to see a good example of keeping it and making it work.

4. Oh this is just gorgeous. Lovely clean design and I love the shelves. It makes me almost wish we could do our kitchen again! Almost…but not really. :)

5. Yvonne Cornell says:

This is a uniquely done kitchen redesign. The photos don’t show us all your clever tricks. Any chance you might post the sources of more (i.e. the extra wide farm sink, lacquer white cabinets, pale grey counters, oven/stove, etc…) and the rough costs. My husband and I want to duplicate as best possible a clean line kitchen with our own hands too. Yours would make an ideal road map for a DIY project. Yes, really!! Pretty puhleeze! :)

6. Such a great job Jayme! Absolutely love the final results and loved working on the kitchen with you…congrats :)

7. Thank you for all the feed back & kind words! we love our house!!
    @Yvonne A few more sources for you — The Farm sink/Hood Fan is from Ikea actually (so if the faucet). The shelves (which are reclaimed wood) were locally made from Tack Wood Work. Our counters/cabinets were custom made…But the counter is Engineered Quartz ( a really beautiful counter for a good price, i think we paid $700 for the counters). The tiles in the back are long subway tiles, any tile store would have them. umm..And Our appliances are all Frigidair (Gallery Series) — Except I think the Dishwasher is something else, I cant remember.

Hope that helps!!

8. Elaine Moskalyk says:

This is amazing! Just love the look; so fresh and clean. You and your husband must love walking into this new home everyday! Wow, so much imagination and I understand you are a professional photographer too? Oh my, perhaps you could get involved in consulting. Your visions are amazing and so is this reno! Congrats on a job well done!

9. how2home says:

I love the charcoal band on the top of the wall, it such a phenomenal accent color but it gives it a really nice dimension so that the whole wall wouldn’t be so flat! I wonder if its chalk paint? Great post as usual!

10. Suzy8track says:

Wow! Looks so clean and sleek! Wish my kitchen looked that good. Now I have kitchen envy!

11. Candace S. says:

This before photo of the kitchen looks exactly like mine in the apartment I’m fixing to move into, now if only I had the 10,000 to make it look like the after photo lol The charcoal, white & chrome fixtures/applicances are fantastic!

12. Sarah says:

Please tel us what the countertop is – brand and color!! Beautiful and bravo!!
    how did you get custom cabinets so inexpensively???

13. MG says:

I think this is a beautiful space renovation–and a great example of updating an older home/space to meet changing needs and wishes. Any chance you donated the old cabinets? They seemed to be in such good shape (and I have a thing about good things going to waste)… but great work!

14. decoguy says:

Wow great works! I love the modern and elegant touch to it. Why did you choose to paint a charcoal grey band instead of any colour? im interested to know =)

15. Crissy says:

Are your dining room chairs vintage or can I find them somewhere??

16. Sara L. says:

So gorgeous! Love the open shelving. And where did that beautiful wooden bread box come from?

17. Mabiel says:

has a japanese feel to it.

18. jacquie says:

Everything is absolutely beautiful. I only wonder if you find that to be enough counter space? It looks as if you have actually lost some with the renovation.

19. It looks amazing! Both rooms are so much brighter.

20. Good Bones says:

what a great transformation. there was so much potential in that space! love the new fixture in the dining room. where is it from?

21. Julia says:

Beautiful kitchen! Although I have a hard time believing it was done for *about 10,000*. Custom cabinets, new floors and all new appliances? Sorry, it just doesn’t add up!

22. Isabelle says:

Is it my imagination or did they eliminate most of their workspace? Not my favorite transformation.

23. tmp says:

great job, but i love the cat!

24. kristina says:

love this so much! and looks like there’s still a little room in the corner by the window for a butcher block for some additional work space.

25. Emma says:

such an amazing change!! it looks so damn good, you would have to be ecstatic with that!! :) nice work

26. Jill says:

I had the same idea as Kristina for additional workspace by the window. That corner looks empty at the moment. A butcher block table on wheels might be a great idea so that you can roll it where ever you need it when you are cooking.
    Beautiful transformation and so inspiring!

27. Christy says:

Very nice! I love how clean and fresh it looks. So bright and full of light!

28. Amazing transformation, you’d never know it was even the same space! It also looks way more expensive than it actually cost!

29. Brave to push on and insist that the 5 burner range fitted in ,especially with the wide sink.In the end if you need the big range for kitchen contentment ,then dammit you get one.I made sure I got a 5 burner at home .The stove next to the walkway in the old kitchen sure had to go though ,what a sfety prob.Thanks for a kitchen makeover for discussion ,happy kitchen tinkering.

30. Susan says:

Amazing how just not seeing hinges cleans up the look so much. The charcoal grey band is a nice touch and I’m jealous of your George Nelson in the dining area. Great job!

31. Laura says:

Too bad they didn’t keep at least some of the original charm of the kitchen. Now it just looks like any other kitchen. For me the charm is now gone.

32. BB says:

I too was really happy to see something nice happen while incorporating a soffit. I am also trying to determine if I can work with mine or if I should rip it out. You are inspiration number 1!

33. Gary B says:

Actually with pulls and a new paint job the old kitchen would have been quite nice. At least it had personality. The new kitchen looks like a generic Ikea showroom. ughh…

34. lis says:

wow. I love the new look. Did you guys have popcorn ceiling and had it removed?