weekly wrap up + finch & thistle engagement party

Before I head out for the long weekend (yay!) I wanted to share a gorgeous engagement party that is so full of beautiful color and flowers that I couldn’t resist it. Seattle residents Mark and Amy met in Montana and share a love of the outdoors, music and tattoos. They celebrated their engagement with a small 20-person party at Via Tribunali, a Seattle favorite in Georgetown. To create an event that would match the couple’s colorful style, Rachel Bowes of Finch & Thistle Event Design picked a vibrant palette of coral, turquoise and gold and paired handmade details with carefully chosen vintage pieces. It was a labor of love (she hand-cut pieces of confetti!) but the final result was absolutely stunning and the couple loved it. I hope you’ll enjoy these photos and ideas as much as I did. I’m totally going to steal that streamer chandelier idea (it only cost $4 to make!) for a party sometime. More details and pictures from their beautiful party continue after the jump (and after the weekly wrap up).

I’m heading to the Catskills for some fresh air and non-laptop time, so I hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend! I’ll see you back here on Tuesday- have a wonderful Memorial Day! xo, grace

Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:

The engagement party continues after the jump…

Sally Balt of LaHappy designed the gorgeous invitations inspired by vintage floral illustrations and the event’s bright spring palette. The neon pink hand-lettering makes the invitation fancy yet not stuffy and the sparkly gold paper adds a touch of glamour.  She chose a sweet coral cotton ribbon to tie the entire set together.

As a compliment to Via Tribunali’s wood-fired pizza, Kerissa Foster of Kerissa Bakes created a beautiful coral and turquoise ombre vegan cake for the couple with polka dot ombre cookies. Kerissa Bakes is a Seattle dessert studio that specializes in vegan goodies.

Vendor Credits
Photography: Chantal Andrea Photography
Floral and Event Design: Finch & Thistle Event Design
Stationery: LaHappy
Desserts: Kerissa Bakes
Amy’s Dress: Urban Outfitters

1. so pretty! I love all of the fun, funky, and sweet details!

2. Laura says:

stunning and inspiring! love the font on the invite as well.

3. erin says:

instructions for that streamer can be found on Oh Happy Day! blog (http://ohhappyday.com/2012/04/paper-dots-garland/) along with many more great tutorials.

4. Kendra says:

How did they make those chandelier streamers? Is it twisted crepe paper? Loving it!

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Kendra –
      It’s looks like Jordan did a similar project: http://ohhappyday.com/2012/04/paper-dots-garland/

5. Maria Anne says:

I am obsessed with the rose paper used in those envelope liners! Beautiful!

6. Wilson says:

I love love the chandelier! What a gorgeous party!

7. What a beautiful engagement party! I love the bright colors used… So nice to see someone who isn’t afraid to be loud & colorful!

8. Mardete says:

Magnifique. I’m’ copiing every single – or engaged- idea.

9. MB@YarnUiPhoneApp says:

Knitters can make those curtain tassels with leftover yarn. And the party doesn’t need to be knitting-themed for the yarn tassels. In any event, it would be a DIY a knitting bride-to-be would appreciate….

10. Amy says:

I just came across these images via Pinterest, and love them! Congrats to this very lovely couple.

11. Ooooh love these pics!!! What fun!!

12. Tyler says:

This is absolutely beautiful. I’m gagging over that chandelier, how gorgeous!

13. Mihaeko says:

So gorgeous! I love the gradient on those cakes. And the window tassels.

14. Thanks for posting this Design*Sponge! It’s such an honor to be featured. Thanks so much to all of my collaborators, particularly our wonderful photographer Chantal Andrea who made our work look especially lovely. If anyone wants to see additional images from this shoot (there are some stunning portraits!) you can check out my blog post here: http://www.finchandthistleblog.com/georgetown-styled-engagement-shoot/

15. shauna says:

Wow….I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!!!

16. Peter P says:

Rachel from Finch & Thistle does some of the most gorgeous events I’ve ever seen!!! I love going through pics of her weddings and parties – this engagement party looks so cool! :o)

17. Jane says:

Perfect decorations for a late spring party. Gorgeous colors, just right against the rustic brick wall background.

18. The Venue is the gorgeous private dining room at the Georgetown Via Tribunali. Perfect for a romantic party….

19. Gillian says:

Original, pretty and absolutely gorgeous!!! WOW!

20. Gillian says:

Original, clever and altogether gorgeous. WOW!!!

21. VVires says:

How nice. The trend of using everyday containers to hold flowers actually makes them look prettier. The container sort of disappears.

22. Carrie says:

How lovely….Reminds of monsoon wedding….

MAzel Tov!

23. AMAZING POST:) Your blog is so wonderful and I follow….Do you want to follow me back???

I have some décor inspiration from Sweden, check it out :)
    Have an awesome week.

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se

24. Oh, gorgeous. Happy Memorial Day weekend to you too, Grace. Have fun in the Catskills. Yeah, the paper streamer chandelier is too good of an idea to pass up. Wonderful, wonderful party decor. How could the couple not love it?!

25. How beautiful!! So much color and uniqueness!

26. Stevie says:

What a great envelope liner! Fantastic detail.

27. ernø says:

so sweet decors

28. tinajo says:

I love the color and the easygoing feeling! :-)

29. la leti says:

amazing!!! beautiful like a dream!

30. Kaitlin says:

Such wonderful colors! But whose party was it: Mark and Amy (in the description) or Jill and Max (on the invitation)?

31. I love the colour combo of this party! Definitely keeping this in the back of my head for parties!

32. Rosa says:

me encantan los colores

33. Pixie says:

What’s in the vegan cakes?

34. Kerissa says:

Hi Pixie!

It’s really more about what’s not in the vegan cakes – no eggs, no dairy, no soy. Otherwise, it’s everything you might expect – cocoa powder, flour, sugar, rice milk, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder. Moist and delicious! Oh, and in the frosting, I use Earth Balance, a vegan margarine. Let’s be clear – the cake is in no way trying to be healthy, just pretty and delicious! Thanks for asking!

35. Kerissa says:

Oh, and thanks Design*Sponge for featuring it! Finch and Thistle did such a fabulous job pulling this all together! :)

36. Chelan says:

My fiancé and I have both been lucky enough to be treated to several different types of cake from Kerissa Bakes. Neither of us are even remotely vegan/dairy allergic, but we can, without hesitation, say that they’re our favorite cakes in the city. Do yourselves a favor and lay hands on one! (If we weren’t getting married out of state, our wedding desserts would definitely be coming from Kerissa Bakes.)

37. Sandy says:

These colors are enchanting! They look so personal