tea for two

After a truly epic six-month coffee binge, I’ve decided to give my beloved lattes a rest, as they introduced an equally epic era of heartburn. Try as I might, I can’t embrace tea in quite the same way, but I’m trying my best. As much as I don’t love tea, I do love tea and tea-related accessories like teapots, saucers and stirrers. This Mother’s Day card from W+K honors those accoutrements in a letterpressed card designed by Sarah Hollowood. If you need a nice way to say “Happy Mother’s Day” this year, click here to check out and order a card online. xo, grace

1. Sorry to hear about your latte problems. That really sucks! I don’t know what I would do if I had to give them up. But, tea can be fun, and yes, tons of accessories!

2. Heather says:

If you have a tea shop nearby, may I recommend seeing if they have a Tea 101 class? During a local class, I found out what the varieties of tea are and how to prepare them. I also tasted of a lot of teas. I hadn’t really been a fan before, but during the class I realized I loved certain types of green and white tea. (I realized I had been using water that was far too warm and steeping it too long, making the tea bitter.)

And local tea shops also generally have some *wonderful* tea pots and accessories.

3. Courtney says:

I feel your coffee-pain. It clearly does not agree with my body, and yet I have nothing but love for the beverage. I’ve switched to tea during the week, and only drink lattes on weekends when we go out for breakfast so they’re more of a treat these days.

1. Grace Bonney says:

i do the same thing now- it’s funny how much i notice the caffeine after a week off. i’m buzzing around for hours!

4. Melody says:

I love the card! Try PG Tips with a little milk. I like to think it’s the coffee of teas. Also, when I drink it before bed, sometimes it gives me really crazy/entertaining dreams. Good luck!

5. What an adorable card. Beautiful work W+K!
    Grace, I love my tea and I love my coffee equally. Neither can replace the other…it just depends what mood I’m in!

6. John says:

Go to In Pursuit of Tea in Soho. Ask for Ana. They will find you a tea you can love. They are amazing. And I’m not schilling for them either.

7. Faith says:

Here in Canada we have DAVIDsTEA, which has the most amazing tea blends I’ve ever tasted! They also have an online store and ship to the U.S.A for only $5, worth a look I think? They even have a coffee-laced tea…

8. Diane says:

I too didnt like tea. Reminded me of when we were sick as a child. Tea and honey-yuck!! My daughter introduced me to peppermint tea and i love it! Brings back lots of Christmas memories! Tho’ you hafta try different brands. Some taste and smell like a barn!!

9. Diane M says:

There are so many crappy teas for sale in America. Walk down to Porto Rico Importing Co. on Grand between Manhattan and Leonard. They’ve got a really nice selection and you can of course smell everything before you purchase anything. Sadly, some of their accessories are a little tacky. Also, I think the best tea importer on the east coast is Mark T. Wendell, and all their teas (especially their HU-KWA) are available online.

Good luck finding out which kind of teas are your favorites!

10. lindsay says:

i love tea with a little milk and sugar! pg tips is definitely where it’s at! trader joes carries some decent ones as well!

11. I am a tea expert that used to be a coffee drinker. I liked both for a long time. However, coffee got the best of me and I had to quit just like you. There are thousands of teas on the market. Hopefully you will find one that you love soon. If I can help, let me know. I recently did a tea tour of NYC for the IACP’s Annual Conference. If you are NYC, there are many great tea places to choose from. BTW, love the card!

12. When I run detoxes one of the biggest withdrawals (aside from gluten) is from caffeine and coffee. It is a toughy to give up- but I think you will find eventually reaching for your morning cuppa green tea does as much and more than a cuppa joe ever did! Also love the tea accessories, I was *this* close to taking my sommelier certification in…Tea! We have that in Toronto, isn’t it sweet?! Good luck giving up coffee, it will be worth it, I promise!

13. Anisa says:

My wife has found respite from belly troubles related to coffee by drinking cold pressed coffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_brew_coffee), because of the lower acidity levels. Classic Rock Coffee Co. sells it as a concentrate by the gallon jug & it keeps well in the fridge, easily turned into iced lattes on a busy morning. There are also brewing stations for sale online for anyone willing to invest the 12+ hours into the process. Gives options for the days when tea just can’t hit the spot.