sneak peek: jamie lyn + jessica fowler

Jamie Lyn tried her hand at nearly every visual art before falling in love with jewelry design. She worked as a prop person on a few period films and began accumulating a collection of vintage objects like world coins, men’s pocket-watch chains and pen knives. She began experimenting with turning these finds into jewelry pieces. When her jewelry line, Ax + Apple, grew, Jamie enlisted the help of her childhood friend Jessica Fowler. The pair moved into this space in Austin’s French Place neighborhood in 2010. They were looking for a dwelling that could function as a studio and living space. Initially, they hoped to find a three-bedroom house, but the dining room in this home, with its large bay windows, became the perfect place to set up shop. Jamie and Jessica have been avid thrift shoppers since they were old enough to have credit cards. Their love of vintage has had a huge influence on everything from their product and personal styles to the way they’ve decorated their home. Thanks, Jamie and Jessica! — Amy Azzarito

(Ed. note: If you love this peek, see Make it Yours: Jamie Lyn + Jessica Fowler, to get the look!)

Image above: The living room provides the perfect getaway from our long days in the studio. Although the two rooms are back-to-back, it is practically a different world on this side. The working fireplace, shag rug, and rustic accents lend the perfect laid-back vibe to the space.

Image above: These Polaroids were shot on a cross-country road trip. They have been a centerpiece in every living room I’ve had since I shot them five years ago.

See more of Jamie & Jessica’s Austin home after the jump . . .

Image above: You will find mini still lifes all over our home. I became obsessed with spray painting animal skulls gold at one point, so you will find a lot of these as well. Family is really big to us around here, so much of our wall art is centered on them. I always think the key to a successful wall collage is incorporating photographs as well as found objects. It gives the space a more personal feel.

Image above: The studio. Where the magic happens! Organization is key no matter what room you’re in, but in a studio as small and as busy as ours, it is pretty much a matter of life and death. I have a thing for vintage scissors, so I love to hang them from nails on the wall. Functional art. We use them throughout the day, and when it’s time to clean up, they become art again.

Image above: That’s Bridget. She’s our mascot. We try to keep this side of the room as clean as possible. It is our “showroom,” so to speak. We keep our most current collection on the wall to pull for photoshoots and for easy reference when we are building an order. It is fun to watch people walk into the room. It is always the first spot they gravitate toward.

Image above: The bedspread is from Anthropologie, and the end table is vintage.

Image above: Mom & Dad

Image above: Best kitchen ever. The white tile and windowed cabinets keep it very clean and open. Jessica threw in a splash of color by sewing a piece of fabric she picked up at Ikea. I accumulated the ceramic animal heads at various thrift stores in San Francisco. I could live in this kitchen!

1. Katie says:

This space is so cute! I love the idea of having a studio right at home. Definitely something I want to have someday! :D

2. I love it! All of it! So beautiful, well done.

3. Ali Thompson says:

Really love this space and all the fun vintage storage options. Very well done!

4. Those photos of your folks are wicked! Thank you for sharing you space!!

Anna

5. berton1020 says:

Wonderful space!! very CREATIVE!!!!!!!!

6. Very creative and cozy! Beautiful (and unique) parents’ pictures as well! :-)

7. I have always been a big fan of your work, but now I feel that I like it a little more.

8. What an awesome way to make Polaroid pics wall art!

Christina

9. Your parents look awesome. I have such studio envy–so organized and inspirational!

10. divina Chita says:

I love this!!!

11. esther says:

It’s really neat seeing your workspace. I love that you create everything at home!

12. One of my favorite Sneak Peeks! Y’all have awesome style!!! I love the white backdrop for all of your cool “stuff.”

13. Great space! I just checked out their jewellery collection and I’m in love! I smell a future blog post on them :)

14. nicole says:

All of the walls are amazing- I love how effortlessly pictures and objects are combined, without looking either too “perfect” or too “messy”. Lovely!

15. Heather says:

Really nice! I love all of the photos and artwork! That scissor idea is awesome, because I always lose my scissors! It’s scissor feast or scissor famine around here!

16. I adore these vignettes and gallery art walls. So many layers of beautiful “objets” and collections. Gorgeous.

17. June says:

I love the kitchen, especially the black and white backsplash and the yellow curtain.

18. Bess says:

Love your home! How do you afix the polaroids to the wall w/o making holes or marks? We have plaster walls and I can’t bear to put holes in them.

19. Wedo says:

Really creative, this is the kind of places that are perfect to find inspiration!

20. Shield says:

The parents and the ceramic animal heads. You must have amazing personalities! :)

21. Deeyn says:

Adorable!! What a great place to call home. I love seeing fellow Austinites on the site!

22. Jamie Lyn says:

Thanks for all the wonderful comments!!! Ps… Bess, We put the Polaroids up with double sided foam squares purchased at the craft store! Xoxo!

23. Mom XO says:

Love it but I am rather prejudiced.

24. Devon Specht says:

Loved this post!! I never tire of reading about other peoples success stories. I’m an aspiring jewelry designer so this one was especially nice to read. It’s easy to doubt yourself when you’re first starting out, but the more I read about other people who have turned their passion their career, the more I believe that the same can be true for me. Thanks for sharing :)

25. Sporto says:

It is just great! So proud of you guys :) So many super unique things going on over there! Oh, and the rents are so groovey, as always!

26. Bung says:

You’ve come a long way since Trolley Path! Looks fantastic….I’m proud of you two! Xoxo

27. I love this kitchen and the custom wine rack above the cabinet!

28. Walker says:

Nice space!
    Where, pray tell, are the AH HA prints from?

29. Samantha says:

I LOVE that feather! What kind is it?