living in: rocky

They said it couldn’t (or shouldn’t) be done. That it was impossible. A long shot. A snowball’s chance. Etcetera. Are we talking about Rocky overcoming the odds and fighting the famous boxer Apollo Creed? No. We are talking about turning Rocky into a Living In post. In the spirit of the man himself, we’ll take the challenge and prove to all of humanity and ourselves that anything is possible with enough perseverance. Now about that black eye . . . — Amy Merrick

1. Glass-footed Fish Bowl, $9; 2. Christian Dior Cateye Frames, $141; 3. 4-pack of Undershirts, $20; 4. Red Fringe, $6/yd; 5. Sweatband, $3; 6. Moller Trolley, $1630; 7. Paper Lantern, $8; 8. Adoptable Red-eared Slider; 9. Goldfish Sharpener, $3; 10. Everlast Boxing Gloves, $89

The full post continues after the jump . . .

While basically an excuse to watch a young Sylvester Stallone mumble incoherently, do fascinating one-handed push-ups and say “Yo, Adrian” repeatedly, Rocky is two hours well spent. You will understand your father, cousin, brother, husband, neighbor or mailman better afterward and marvel at the whole genre of sports movies. Rocky is the only sports movie ever to support such a bizarre yet loveable personal narrative, and that’s probably why it won the Oscar for Best Picture. Rocky ice skating with sneakers on? Rocky talking lovingly to his pet fish? Rocky punching large carcasses of meat? Yes. Yes. Yes.

1. Wall Clock, $99; 2. Ace Bandage, $1; 3. Rotary Phone, $45; 4. Industrial Lamp, $104; 5. Bath Towels, $30+; 6. Narrow Comb, $1; 7. Padlock, $6; 8. Private Sign, $20; 9. Wings and Horns Robe, $150; 10. Single Tier Locker, $87

1. Erika says:

This might be my favourite “Living In…” yet. Thanks for taking on the challenge!

2. gina says:

i love you forever. rocky is awesome and THIS is awesome!

3. stephieZ says:

FYI people: just because rocky had tony turtles living in a tiny fish bowl, doesn’t mean you should keep your water turtle in a tiny fish bowl. Turtles need room to be in the water and out. A filter is also good since water can get mucky very quickly. Public service announcement done:)

4. Laura Abramson says:

Seriously, that link to the company that sells lockers is GREAT. I ‘ve had lockers for my triplets (now 10 yrs old) ever since they started 3-yr-old preschool, and everybody always asks me where I bought them (a furniture company that no longer carries them). Just this weekend, somebody asked me again. Did you see all of the colors those lockers come in? NICE!!!

5. Barchbo says:

Yo, Amy! Love it! You have not only met the challenge but surpassed it. Bravo – total knockout.

6. Laura says:

With every Living In post I’m shocked by how similar my movie taste is to DS, but Rocky takes the cake. It’s like you’re reading my thoughts! LOVE this movie! Too often overlooked or marginalized, people forget it won best picture and best director in 1976. The lockers are cool, but Sly, oh my!

7. HK says:

Those glasses!

8. Haha I’m very entertained by this post! Nice work, please do more of these!!

The Good Life

9. Diana says:

I agree with Erika – Best Best Best!

10. jen_cam says:

Yes! Adrian!!!!

11. Rachel says:

You guys crack me up !! “Adrian !!”

12. Eva says:

haha, cool!

13. Wandbilder says:

That’s an interesting point of view – I’ve never thought about the rooms and decor watching Rocky. It’s funny but also very interesting! :)

14. Yo! says:

How about how Rocky has changed all our lives forever!!!. We all have been infected in some way, even if it’s from a friend who saw the movie. Rocky gave me what I needed to push threw life at times. GODBLESS ROCKY FOREVER!! A real super hero of the USA.. Go get him Rock!!!…

15. Lisa says:

wow flashback I had a Rocky poster in my bedroom

16. They key to appreciating Rocky again is to forget the other 3 (or is it 4?) in between… EXCEPT for the very last one, Rocky Balboa. That one is actually really good. A double feature of the first, then the last would be wonderful. Love Rocky!

17. The Philadelphians love this. We live like Rocky all the time!

18. Dianna Trent says:

Always loved that man…

19. Ron Weaver says:

Perfect. Just perfect.

20. jill says:

Thanks ..this was cool… and did you know that ole Sly himself wrote the story line for Rocky movies .. and refused to give to Hollywood, unless he played Rocky himself ….. was a touch battle and I for one is so glad he won …
    and i agree rocky was hot !!!!

21. Angela says:

Thanks for making the turtle a rescue turtle! Wish I could find that floral wallpaper…

22. Shones says:

Can I make a Living In request somewhere? Just curious…

23. corrie says:

these are always my favorite D*S posts… and this one is amazing! well done!

24. Annie says:

Love this. Makes me want to watch Rocky real bad. If I may be so bold as to make a request… I would love to see your take on living in The Shining!

25. ashley sawyer says:

so funny we were just about to watch Rocky! love this post, Amy.

26. Rochele says:

Love it! Wonderful post!

27. Paul says:

Super rad. That was a tough one.

28. Suzy8track says:

Love it! Being from Philadelphia, this made me smile!

29. Kat from Jersey says:

Looking at him now, it’s hard to remember how absolutely beautiful Stallone was back in the day, but he definitely had it! I remember being 13 and seeing him on the cover of Time Magazine in his Rocky outfit, and being absolutely flabbergasted! Those gorgeous slightly droopy brown doe eyes! And how sweet he was to Adrienne!

30. Sarah says:

Yessss! I’m planning a surprise “rocky” party for my beau. This is great inspiration!

31. Sreven Reeves says:

I saw this movie in a packed theater in Spring of 1977 where it had already been playing for six months. Obviously this was pre any home video options. I have never been in audience that got so into a movie and the characters. The crowd truly was going wild at the end.

32. Elizabeth says:

This is hilarious – I love it! :)

33. Bridget C. says:

Thank you, Thank you! I never thought you would do this movie in a million years. It is my favorite movie of all time. Everyone always thinks it’s weird b/c I am a girl (now, woman), but I have watched this too many times to count. As a child of the 70’s, the movie set and your post make me very nostalgic.