living in: empire records

by

Empire Records is better known for nostalgic adoration than cinematic appreciation, but we’re okay with that. Face it, we love to love the nineties and enough time has past to make Doc Martens seem like a good idea again. Who didn’t develop a massive girl crush on Liv Tyler and suddenly find themselves unable to listen to anything but The Gin Blossoms? Succumb to the power of Rex Manning and finally revisit your favorite record shop.    –Amy Merrick

Image above: 1. Bennett Pendant, $550; 2. Urbanears headphones, $60; 3. Staedtler drawing pencils, $11; 4. Whitney album, $9; 5. Pill box, $8; 6. Mary McDonald leopard sofa; 7. Doc Martens, $127; 8. Opening Ceremony skirt, $104; 9. Badge lanyard, $3; 10. 3 speaker boombox, $499.

More Living In: Empire Records after the jump!

The gang at Empire Records were a lovable lot and I think we all wanted in. Since actually working retail involves a lot less dancing in the aisles and faux funerals, instead let’s channel that desire into upping our nineties quotients. Swatches, hemp bracelets, piles of records and peace signs- together we can save the empire.

Image above: 1. Phillip Lim 3.1 leather jacket, $1540; 2. Peace sign marquee, $199; 3. Martha Stewart Cupcakes, $17; 4. Birch Stacking chairs; 5. Swatch watch, $80; 6. Brass link box, $175; 7. Hemp bracelet, $7; 8. Wire storage table, $79; 9. Wire trash can, $24; 10. Eyeball sconce, $39.

1. This is awesome. I think I know this movie by heart. no wait, not think. I know I know it by heart. Xx

2. nicole says:

ah! i’ve been waiting for this one, yes!!! <3

3. I remember this movie!! Me and my cousins watched it a dozen times!
    xoxo

4. Kelly says:

Loved this movie! Great Living In!

5. Jennifer says:

I think this is my favorite living in yet! Sigh…so much nostalgia. I think I need to watch Empire Records again today!

6. Theo Winterwood says:

So odd, last night I watched this for the first time since I was in high school! And I said that I had always wanted to work in a place just like that.

This reminds me that I once wanted to throw a Rex Manning Day party . . . Hmm.

7. Katrina says:

Empire Records is one of those movies that doesn’t get old and I was lucky to have the opportunity to attend a free screening here in Miami and meet some of the actors! Check it out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eclecticamiami/3312469956/

8. shoshana says:

“What’s with you today?” “What’s with today today?” One of my all time favorite lines!

9. Charabak says:

Thank you thank you thank you!! Empire Records is for sure in my top 5 favorites. Great post!

10. Abby says:

You did it again Amy!!! Thanks for yet another wonderful trip down memory lane.

11. tracylee says:

damn the man! save the empire!

12. Jamie says:

Oh Rexy, you’re so sexy!

Love this!

13. I freaking love this movie! I actually did a post recently on Johnny Whitworth (who’s still hot, BTW!) I have the whole movie memorized! “Joe, I can categorically say that you are NOT a bigger banana head!”

14. My first thought at seeing the post title was “Yessssssssssss!!!!”

15. deeyn says:

So Nostalgic. Funny thing is I think I have already lived in Empire Records.

16. graciela. says:

I think I’m the only child of the 90s that hates this movie! hahah. I just never understood what the big deal was. But the soundtrack is awesome!

17. lauren says:

my favorite movie of all time. damn the man, save the empire!

18. Jamie says:

OMG!!! What a great post! I was obsessed with that movie— my friend and I even tried gluing pennies to the floor in our high school! Ha thanks for the memories!

19. Leigh says:

loved that movie .. and I LOVE your blog … I’ve just found it and just subscribed!

20. Kristan says:

Ha! My best friend and I used to watch this, Clueless, and Dazed and Confused weekly in high school. Love it! Well Sinead O’Rebellion. Shock me, shock me, shock me with that deviant behavior.

21. Brittany says:

Oh Rexy, you’re so sexy.

22. jess says:

awesome! i love this movie!

23. Oh Rexy you’re so sexy! Ha! Loved this movie as a teenager…and I’m pretty sure I still have my Doc’s!

24. Georgia says:

Ah good times! I had whole friendships spring up because of a shared love of this movie!
    I don’t feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren.

25. Geek+Nerd says:

Great pick for “Living In.” Now, how about a follow up DIY gluing quarters to the carpet?

26. Caitlin says:

<3 this movie. You're right about the Doc Marten thing, I work at an Art School and the cool kids are wearing them again. Happy Rex Manning Day!

27. Oh my goodness, this really warms my heart – this movie ruled my life in high school!

28. Kat from Jersey says:

Say no more, mon amour!!!! My daughters and I watched this movie all the time back in the day, and I just got the extended version for my oldest daughter’s 21st birthday! And, I named my son Lucas because of this movie (okay, I’ve always adored the name, but still…).

29. Barchbo says:

I love reading all the comments and discovering that so many other people not only love Empire Records but are still quoting it! LOVE IT!

30. Courtney says:

How did I miss this post? This movie is such a good time, and I totally embrace the 90’s aesthetic.

31. Kirstey says:

have you thought of doing a Living In for The Descendants? that could be amazing!

32. jen_cam says:

I always wanted the animal print sofa and red/white ottoman from this movie…

33. Damn the man! Save the Empire! Seriously, I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!

34. Erin says:

YES, a million times over! If ever Sugar High were on a karaoke list I would be compelled to put on a plaid skirt and rock out.

35. Minnie says:

Favorite move from HS, love so bad!