botanical portraits

I love it when projects that start as a hobby or a side job turn into a new business. Francis Ooi, a creative director in Singapore and amateur photographer, needed to fill a wall in his home, so he started obsessing about taking botanical photographs. His obsession turned into a botanical portrait blog and brand new shop. His weekly runs turned into nature walks where he would document the foliage around her. Now those photographs are for sale online. I love how clean and simple the photos are; they really let you focus on the curves, lines and shapes that form in nature as plants grow and die. Francis is selling his prints right here for $30, and you can check out his botanical blog right here for more inspiration. xo, grace

1. susan says:

prettiest concept i have seen in ages.

2. Beautiful! love the simplicity and restraint of these. Nature makes the best compositions.

1. Grace Bonney says:

oh! sorry- thanks for catching that :)

g

3. Love these! So gorgeous and simple. (By the way there are still spots where it says ‘she’ and ‘her’ just letting you know!)

4. Susy says:

These are wonderful. They remind me a bit of Karl Blossfeldt, but have a much lighter feeling – even though they are so minimal – that comes through. I love the story behind these pieces. It’s funny how moments spent away from desk/work etc lead to such inspiration. The top image looks handcolored – it’s exquisite! Thanks for the introduction. : )

5. kate says:

Gorgeous – nature does it best!

6. these are fantastic and I love the name of the shop. Thanks!

7. Nicole says:

I have the same problem with my cat, Frances–vets always think she’s a boy. She doesn’t seem to mind, though.

Those portraits are just so lovely.

8. jess says:

these are beautiful, I’ve recently decided to go with a Victorian science explorer botanical theme so I’m excited to see these prints! but…this sentence confused the heck out of me “His weekly runs turned into nature walks where she would document the foliage around her. “

9. These are beautiful. Really like them – they remind me of those painstaking Victorian botanical watercolours.
    Although count me in also on the mixed-pronoun-confusion train — please pick one! (or at least one per sentence.)
    As a general rule of thumb, isn’t “Francis” with an “i” male (eg Sir Francis Drake, St Francis of Assisi) and “Frances” with an “e” female (eg Frances Hodgson Burnett, Frances Bean Cobain)?

10. yeshen says:

Beautiful, especially love the prints stuck on the wall in layers.

11. Where’s the LIKE button? I like like like this!

12. Charlotte says:

“his” blog… not her. thanks! beautiful work!

13. Nikasha says:

These images are so beautiful!

14. Miss Heliotrope says:

Pretty, but still of confused sex…

1. Kate Pruitt says:

Thank you for bringing that to our attention! All fixed!

15. Monica says: