before & after: colorful home redo

Today’s second and third Before & After projects celebrate pattern and color — they are both maximalist in the very best way. This first colorful home renovation comes from Aimee Daniels. Aimee is a lover of bold, brilliant textiles and all things vintage. Looking through her newly redecorated home, it’s clear that she had a knack for mixing prints and for choosing just the right complementary colors for the walls. I love the dark, dramatic rooms as much as the bright, wild ones, and I hope to someday have a similarly fearless method for achieving well-balanced eclecticism. Awesome job, Aimee! — Kate

Read the full post after the jump . . .

Time: 5 years (doing little bits and rearranging over time)

Cost: each room cost less than $500

Basic Steps: I would describe my style as dark midcentury bohemian. Once I had the rhythm of my design down, I was able to paint the walls and slowly replace anything reserved or refined with something eccentric. It was like flipping through a magazine, adorning every face with a mustache. Each room has been placed in the past two years, with plants and décor shuffling from room to room weekly.

I am a scrappy girl and know a good bargain takes a lot of hunting. I try to visit my favorite thrift stores, antique stores and designer-discount stores regularly and ask store clerks when shipments come in. I also carry sanitizing wipes and measuring tape with me at all times. I use the wipes to test if something dirty is salvageable and measuring tape to guarantee a perfect fit. Each room was decorated and furnished for $500 or less. On my blog, I try to keep my followers informed of good deals, remodels and fabulous revamps of old, discarded pieces.

I achieved the look of my house by not being afraid of where it would take me. I have always bought what I love. I advise that when decorating/designing a room or home, start simple. I like to think of every room as an outfit. Every outfit must start with the basics: a dress, a white t-shirt and jeans, etc. If poorly accessorized, an outfit can become lost in the shuffle or speak louder than planned. Start with a dress you love: a couch or bedding that can be garnished accordingly. For me, I love blending patterns, fabrics and trends. — Aimee

1. Cheltz says:

Both of these are fun! So nice to have a colorful, outdoor space, and love all the great patterns and colors in the second one!

2. Hannah says:

I love all of the prints. So vibrant and fun

3. AnnOnandOn says:

Amazing transformations. It’s so cool to see before and afters!

4. wackdelly says:

color and pattern explosion. love it!!

5. So awesome Amy!!!! This rocks!

6. And by AMY, I meant, AIMEE. oye.

7. Shannon says:

Sigh… I always cry a little when I see brick or concrete being painted. Its natural state is always such a winner. Otherwise, very nice indeed!

8. Courtney says:

Wow! At first I thought this post would be about just the patio. What a pleasant surprise. It’s so inspiring to see someone pull off such color and pattern with confidence. That dining room is heaven to me.

9. Love, love, love this!!! Thanks for sharing! Anything with lots of color and I’m in!

10. Cary Holton says:

I think certain red brick can look boring. I love that she painted it. This girl is good!! Love the use of colors and textures!!

11. Sandy says:

Great reno! Each room has so much personality! Where did you get your kitchen chairs?

12. kelly jo says:

i think it’s really great that you painted the patio, and I love that there was color in the before AND the after. really great transformation… in a world of white on white on white this really is a happy place that i would love to say i did myself!

13. sailnmuffin says:

Nice colors/patterns on the interior. However, I agree w/Shannon re painting brick: once you have tried to *remove* paint from a brick or stone wall? You would never, ever paint brick again unless you planned on demolishing and discarding the brick the next time you wanted a change. Your only alternative to clean up painted brick is to sandblast it, equals difficult, expensive, and nigh impossible to get all the paint off. Plus the sandblasting gets all over everything else you own. It’s much better practice – especially when painting an exterior wall of a brick house as done on the patio here – to paint your desired colors on things less permanent, like a trellis, screen, panel, or other object that you can either affix to the brick wall or secure freestanding. (You can even layer such items as trellises one on top of another for the desired effect of hiding the brick.) If instead like here you painted the brick and then later decided to sell your house, the first thing your realtor will tell you to do to make your house appealing to buyers, is to get rid of the yellow paint — because not many potential buyers will have the same tastes as you do and no buyer will want to assume the costs of removing the paint themselves. Painted brick is a very expensive, labor-intensive, dirty re-do.

14. Henry says:

What an amazing talent. the sky is your limit, and what a rainbow.

15. henry says:

You will be a star.

16. Dixie Rodman says:

Aimee – I like what you’ve done with bold colors and I must say I prefer most brick to be painted!! Great job! Dixie R

17. Aimee Daniels says:

SANDY, here is the link to my chairs – ezmodfurniture.com/2-wood-eiffel-chairs-white.html

PAINT COLORS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
    Valspar Shimmering Sea
    Back Patio:
    Valspar Dark Gray
    Valspar Allen + Roth Street Market

Thank you everyone!

18. June says:

Beautiful, my kind of place!

19. Pestle says:

Sandblasting removes the hard, fired outer layer of the brick– it degrades quickly after that.

So, once you’ve painted brick, you can never, ever go back, but you have to keep re-painting and re-painting it. It’s not a good thing to do on a whim.

20. Susannah says:

The entire makeover is awesome–I love the painted brick, you are very daring. I also painted a section of brick on the front of my house several years ago, we have extreme weather here but it is holding up well. I wanted it white and everyone said oh, no,
    Don’t do it, but now the 3 neighbors have done it too! Gives a fresh new look to the houses, we are all happy with the clean appearance. Keep up the creative style.
    Thank you….

21. Stacey says:

Just curious where you found the rug that is under the couch? It’s beautiful!

22. Jo Kin says:

Good Job working with a small space and spicing it up!

23. Amanda says:

I love this, love colors the bathroom looks great!

Jewelry Rage

24. Julie says:

I’m loving the colorful Before & Afters! Please – more. They exhibit so much more personality and verve than the usual “white walls-white couch-single blue pillow” look. Well done!

25. Heidi E. says:

Lovely show and tell! Quick question: where did you get the circle pattern curtains in the grey bedroom with the map above the bed? Love those!

26. Maggie says:

Love it! I have the same question as Heidi (above). Where did you get those curtains? i love the print!

27. jacqui says:

Definitely a winner on the painted brick. Also, please where did you get those amazing geometric quilts?

28. Carol says:

Love the life you’ve given your home – especially the painted brick.

29. HEIDI E. and MAGGIE, below is a link one of my blog posts about where I bought everything in my home. :)

30. Jessica says:

Love the painted brick… and I think it will look even better as it ages and gets a little chippy. So envious of all the patterns in the house.

31. HEIDI E. and MAGGIE, below is a link one of my blog posts about where I bought everything in my home. :)

ragstorelics.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-home-bitter-sweet-home.html

32. Cheryl Lewis says:

Is the concrete painted or is it another treatment? I love the look but have bad experience with peeling paint from foundations….So I’m curious!

33. CHERYL LEWIS, I used Valspar’s gloss concrete paint. HOWEVER, I am going to repaint the ground the same color using concrete GRIP paint soon. The gloss paint can get very slick if wet! You can grab this paint in Lowe’s paint section, right off the shelf!

34. rebecca says:

the painted brick wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me if i were in the market for this house. even if it was, brick and stone can be sourced really inexpensively. why are design spongers so anti-paint all the time? i think it’s lovely.

1. Grace Bonney says:

rebecca

welcome to the paint war, happening on d*s since 2004 ;)

grace

35. Melissa Hodges says:

Absolutely stunning. Love her style! :)

36. Stark says:

these colors put you in the best mood

37. Erin says:

I love the pops of colors in the rooms. It really brings out the accessories that are used! *Stunning*

38. Linda Hodges says:

Oh Amiee, I Love You decorating I Just sait it Absolutely Beautiful, love the BRIGHT colors Cong.for being choosen……It all made me Happy to see you doing so good…I Must sed this to Ashley

39. Linda Hodges says:

Oh Amiee, I Love You decorating I Just saw it Absolutely Beautiful, love the BRIGHT colors Cong.for being choosen……It all made me Happy to see you doing so good…I Must sed this to Ashley