sue tirrell

I’ve always been a fan of Sue Tirrell’s work, but I especially love when she uses animals as her primary subject. There’s something so sweet and playful about the way she surrounds them in color and pattern. Sue has a show at The Clay Studio in Philly next week, so if you’re in the area, be sure to check it out! Click here for more info and show details. xo, grace

1. Ruth Moser says:

This is quite a discovery. I would just love to own one of her ceramics. I think I would choose the bird mug. Such a shame I cannot make it to the show. I live in the UK.

2. Laura says:

I love, love her illustration style. I’m curious to know if all those swirling marks are all hand carved out.

3. Stephanie says:

Great ilustrations specially the blue horse !!!

4. Sue Tirrell says:

Thank you so much for posting my work! Yes, all the little swirling marks–fur, feathers, petals, etc. are hand carved. I apply colored underglazes to leatherhard porcelain and as soon as it sets, I carve back through it to expose the clay underneath. Happy Spring!

Sue

5. Val says:

Love these! I’m a sucker for anything with animals and lots o’ color.

6. Okay freaking out a little! :D HUGE fan of your work as an Illustrator and as an enthusiast for pottery (new hobby). It is nice to see this collection even if I’m far away in Quebec. Wish I could see it in person.

7. These are beautiful, I love the texture and details in the illustrations, gorgeous colours too.
    I haven’t come across her work before, thanks for sharing!

8. Hug says:

these are so beautiful!
    I want them all in my kitchen!

9. Kendra says:

Her work is so wonderful in person, I saw some at NCECA! If you don’t mind me asking, how long do you typically work on each piece? Beautiful work Sue!

10. Sara says:

Such a great post for Spring! This work makes me happy. I have it on good authority that she is a lovely person too.

11. Marge says:

I’m looking at one of her pieces for a gift. They are just the right blend of playfulness and art.

12. Naomi Cleary says:

Thanks for posting this Grace, so glad you like it.
    We have some images of the work installed too. it looks so great all together. Friend The Clay Studio on Facebook to see the images of the whole show. Also contact me if you need something that is already sold!