panther coffee

When I started Design*Sponge, I used to note that I always felt like the weird girl in the room commenting on the couch in a movie rather than the plot. That feeling has stayed with me and hits me hard when I’m watching TV. The other night I was watching something on demand, so the same commercials were running over and over. In an American Express ad on small business, there was a shot of a wildly patterned coffee shop that I had to pause and Google. It turns out that the exterior belongs to Panther Coffee in Miami, FL. I found a ton of pictures and immediately remembered how much I love patterned buildings like this. They remind me of warmer weather; whenever I go to Los Angeles or a beach city, it seems like people take the time to paint their shops’ exteriors in bright colors or patterns. This one seemed particularly cheery, so I’m sharing some of my favorite photos here, taken by photographer Adam Goldberg. I hope they perk up your morning as much as your cup of coffee. xo, grace

1. Leslie says:

That’s how I am with makeup and wardrobe in movies… it’s good to know somebody else is distracted, ha.

2. divina chita says:

Cool!!! have a nice day!!

3. rachel says:

they have delicious coffee. in the heart of wynwood art district. a great tasty spot!

4. Katrina says:

If you ever visit Miami, that entire area is covered with amazing patterns and graphics on many of the buildings. Its the up and coming art district of Miami, complete with monthly art walks and other cultural events. This is just a small taste of the incredible imagery of the Wynwood niche of Miami.

5. Sandy says:

had to chuckle when I read this post. My husband always laughs at me because I always make comments like, “ooh, what a great wall color!” or “look at those windows!” and “that is a fabulous kitchen!” while watching movies. I’m more absorbed by the set decorating than the actual storyline. Glad to know I’m not the only one.

6. Sarah says:

Went there a few months ago while visiting Miami. There’s some great art on the side of the building by Barry McGee, who also painted the pattern. In fact, the whole neighborhood is full of giant murals like this. It was my favorite part of the city!

7. I love that place! I have had many a lovely caffeine fix during my travels into the Wynwood area!

8. Noah Dasho says:

I too paused the TV and took photos of that coffee shop, but mainly because it is a Barry McGee mural.

9. Cat says:

I am really sorry to ruin the party but just as an FYI… Although they kept the same colors, the outside of the building no longer looks like this. About a month ago someone vandalized the exterior.

It now looks like this:

1. Grace Bonney says:

oh wow- what a bummer :(

10. Kelly says:

ha! i do this too. “Did you SEE that quilt? Can we rewind?” ha.

11. Carlos Ramirez says:

You should check out and they are the organization responsible for the majority of the murals in the wynwood arts district and the miami design district. Locals really make their own city.

12. Chase says:

Cat–that is sad. We go there frequently but have been away and are about to return to the area next week. So bummed to hear someone ruined it.

13. Lizzie Mara says:

I had an immediate self to text connection with this article. Thank you! I love the opening part about you feeling weird for commenting on a set I stead of plot. I’m right there with you. I adore noticing the details & at that I also adore beautifully painted buildings! Thank you.

14. Kate says:

I completely understand! I’ll gasp at a very anti-climatic scene, and people stare at me. All I can say is “did you see that light fixture?! Quick, go back!” My husband thankfully has grown used to this.

15. This place is really close to my home. I am going down to see it when I am in the neighbor hood, Thanks. I really like this place because coffee shops should be fun places.