living in: mannequin

Mannequin is your typical 1980s rom-com about a time traveling Egyptian princess turned into a living store display. You know, the usual. It boggles the mind that someone in a business suit okayed the plot, but I’m not complaining. A young mannequin played by Kim Catrall woos her creator by night, romping around in fancy dresses, smooching in the display tents and hang gliding over the mall’s multistory atrium. See, I told you it was good. — Amy Merrick

1. Rachel Antonoff Dress, $315; 2. Deborah Lipman Nail Polish, $20; 3. Summer Straw Hat, $34; 4. Romona Sunglasses, $14; 5. Cameo White Mannequin, $323; 6. Moleskine Notebook, $12; 7. Pentel Mechanical Pencil, $5; 8. Stainless Cubes, $8+; 9. Prince Tennis Racket, $91; 10. Vintage Display Table, $3495

The full post continues after the jump!

Set in a big, fancy department store, I’m fairly certain this is where I developed my first interest in shopping. The window dresser named Hollywood pretty much steals the show; his 1980s geometric goofiness is everything I hold dear about the decade. Pop yourself some nauseatingly buttery popcorn, put on some shoulder pads and enjoy.

1. Vintage 1980s Sunglasses, $15; 2. Vintage Geometric Shirt, $27; 3. Cassette Tape USB Flash Drive, $24; 4. Striped Beach Towel, $7; 5. Striped Screw Drivers, $26; 6. Wire Cube Set, $30; 7. Beach Ball, $3; 8. Striped Hammer, $26; 9. Geometric Bangle Set, $8

1. Sing says:

I loved this movie.

2. AimeeWrites says:

I love this movie so much. (Probably because I haven’t seen it for twenty years!) Thank you SO MUCH for this!

3. Danielle says:

They just don’t make movies like this anymore (unless they remake them). I miss the goofy rom-coms of the 80s.

4. rebekka says:

It’s like, remember that show, “Today’s Special”?!

5. Allison says:

“It’s those jelly donuts. They call to me in the middle of the night. ‘Hollywood! Come and get me, Hollywood!’ I can’t stay away from them!”

You don’t know how often I find a way to work that quote into everyday conversation.

6. Katie says:

AWESOME – one of my favorite movies growing up! Also, those wire cubes are pretty great!

7. Oh, wow….I haven’t thought about this movie in YEARS. It was one of my favorite movies as a kid, I had day-dreams of living in a department store. Thanks for putting a smile on my face today!

8. jen_cam says:

@Rebekka: I do remeber that show! :)

9. JT says:

We Netflixed this movie a few months ago… it’s every bit as good as you remember it!

10. Krista says:

Great post! One of my FAVORITE 80’s movies!!!

11. Omigod I loved this movie! A ridiculous plot, but the combination of Andrew McCarthy and window design is just irresistible!!! Actually spotted it on tv not too long ago, and it was just as fab as I remembered it.

12. barchbo says:

“Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now” is stuck in my head now! Love this whole post – as usual!

So glad I wasn’t the only one who wanted to move into a department store. When I finally got a job as a visual merchandiser, I thought of this movie all the time!

13. Love the inspiration for this look! That Rachel dress is so pretty.

14. Michelle says:

I loved this cheesy movie! :) the dress and hat are adorable.

15. Coby says:

I love the 80’s! And I loved this movie too though I did have a good laugh about the plot :-P Thanks for another great “Living In”

16. Evelisa says:

This movie was awesome. Definitely brought me back. I really like the hammer that was included in the collage.

17. Elisa says:

I haven’t watched that in ages! So fun.

Also, love the polka dot dress!

18. Carly says:

This is one of my favourite films, along with Working Girl. I love an evening in watching 80’s movies. Hollywood was the greatest. “Hollywooood” When I was Visual Manager me and the rest of the team had our days of Hollywood one liners. So much fun. And what about Kim Catrall’s incredible figure.

19. Annie Campos says:

haha! i soooooo wanted to watch this movie last night for some reason :)

20. Best “Living In” since Troop Beverly Hills! You rock!

21. I LOVED this movie, and I forgot about it until right now. This is a great Living In post!

22. JP says:

Loved this movie! Favorite Hollywood quote: It’s those jelly donuts, they call to me at night. “Hollywood, Hollywood, come and get me Hollywood.”

23. So one of my favorite 80’s movies!

24. Loving that flawless 80s vibe and also your post on the novel side tables. Always fresh!

25. kate says:

hollywooooooooooood! Die for this movie. So wanted to be Kim Cattrall.

26. I love this movie… in fact my sister and I are trying to find a decent and cheap DVD of Mannequin :) Thanks for sharing and for the super nice tips!

27. Erin says:

OMG! My friend and I actually went out and RENTED this movie on Sunday…it was our Sunday Funday!!! Such a good movie

28. Getting nostalgic!!!!! And absolutely LOVE the products you’ve picked especially the bangles, sunglasses and the shirt! YUM!

29. Monica says:

This movie totally made me want to live in a department store. And how can you beat slimy James Spader??

30. Alli says:

Oh, just your typical bizarre 80’s movie…that was AWESOME! Love this!

Can we do a series of “living-in” 80’s movies? How about Return to Oz? That one was the best!

31.!!! this is my favorite series you do, thank you!!!

32. Larissa says:

Living In is my favorite DS section. Do y’all take requests? Amy, you have already tackled many of my favorite films. I just rewatched the movie Waitress last week and thought that would be a fun one to tackle.

33. JD says:

Ah that nostalgic feeling. I’m not old enough to feel nostalgic! No I can’t be! It feels like a lifetime ago when I last saw Mannequin so maybe I am old enough. In any event, it was an enjoyable little movie and I always liked the plot-line of an Egyptian Princess looking for more out of life.

34. Susan Hazel says:

Ha, ha, ha, ha! I love that movie. Such a child of the 80s. I remember when I first saw Sex in the City, all I could think was, “hey that’s the girl from Mannequin!”

35. Nicole says:

This movie embodies the decadence of the 80s and remains one of my definite guilty pleasures. I mean, who wouldn’t want to play dress up all night to a fantastically outrageous montage!

36. Meg says:

OMG. Thank you for reminding me how awesome the plot line was and refreshing my dream of hang gliding in a mall! And I need some sunglasses like Hollywood had – those would be most excellent for summer, I think. Love that movie!

37. Kahli says:

OMG My twin sister and I used to love this madness when we were younger. And when I saw it not too long ago I too thought who gave the okay for this plot! But I loved that dress up scene!

38. Stefani says:

@Kahli I just downloaded the song from that scene, “Do You Dream About Me,” by Alisha. I couldn’t help cutting a rug in front of my computer.

39. kayte says:

As someone who actually works in the world of merchandising and display, I can’t help but love this movie! So fun!

40. Loooove this movie! @Rebekka, I’ve never met anyone else who remembers Today’s Special!!! Too funny! : )

41. Samantha M. says:

Kudos, Ms. Merrick, for taking movies that I would consider “dated” or “silly” and finding the stylish influences in them.

If you’re taking 80’s requests, can I whisper “Purple Rain” in your ear? I’m watching it for the first time in years, and it’s so deliciously 80’s yet has such interesting style to it!

42. Karen Longo says:

This movie was the one where my love for Andrew McCarthy was cemented! And I can only admit that because he’s only gotten better looking as he’s gotten older, and now he’s a talented travel writer who writes for National Geographic Traveler, among other things. Cute movie.