chalk tablets

Whenever I think of chalkboards, I can’t help but think (and laugh) about this post that pretty much nailed the hipster design community perfectly. In addition to the spot-on observation that this community “would be wondering around in a leather apron if it could,” blogger Russell Davies added, “And blackboards. Everywhere there’s blackboards.” Oh, Russell. You’re so right. And I’m always falling prey to that look. Queue my love of these chalk tablets from Peg and Awl* — they’d make great specials menus at restaurants or fun shopping reminders in the kitchen. The tablets come in a set of three for $60 and are made from reclaimed leather and oak from the bleachers of Liberty High School in Philadelphia. If you’re interested in picking up the trio, click here to order online. xo, grace

*Russell should have included my favorite hipster design company trend: the “Something &/and Something” naming convention. I consider myself part of this community, so any jibe is a loving one. But I’d like to see companies embrace one name — or even three — over the pair.

1. rebekka says:

Oh, man, so right on about the something & something! I’m curious how all these design trends will pan out in the end, since so many of them tend towards “classic” rather than “trendy”. I wonder what happens when classic elements aren’t popular anymore…it seems like they would stand the test of time a little better than, say, mauve carpeting?

2. Allyson says:

These are really lovely! I’m gonna have to find a use for them though, but I’m sure I’ll be able to think of something. ;)

3. julia says:

chalkboards are everywhere but I can’t help but like them. and these tablets look like a fun low-tech solution for travel with kids..cute!

4. Katie says:

These are really cool. I love the design behind it and the use of reclaimed materials.

5. AnnOnandOn says:

Reclaimed and chalkboard in the same sentence….o.k. I’m buying. Ha! Fun post and fabulous item.

6. Nina says:

Blackboards remind me of spelling tests in Grade 1. I love the nostalgia of them and I love that they can be used for serious things and not so serious things. It may be a trend but I’ve always loved them and will probably have them around even when it’s no longer the “thing”! :)

7. Karen says:

Wandering around. Not wondering around.

1. Grace Bonney says:

karen

i’m quoting from another website so i didn’t correct anything..

grace

8. Margaux Kent says:

thanks for the post! funny thing about the something and something – I have noticed and commented plenty on that trend and didn’t realise that we were part of it until very recently as it came to us as one thing, a song!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNzI2-Hencg

9. Jasanna says:

Oh i love these! I want to make them :)

10. Ha, I love blackboards too despite the possible oversaturation… Heh: these would look perfect next to my reclaimed coffee sack storage boxes and antique sewing machine, just for the triple! Thanks also for the Russell Davies link – I live in London too and there are definitely still a lot of handtooled-iPad wielding leather bearded types about (and I still like it).. But mainly immad at 2 years ago self for missing Cory Doctorow interviewing William Gibson!

11. I’d like to see someone walking around with one of these instead of an Ipad…

12. Sara Grace says:

these are awesome! i love chalkboard stuff!

13. Darla says:

@Psycho Scissors, I joked with Margaux and Walter (the makers of these) that the bigger version of this chalk tablet would be my version of an iPad. (http://www.etsy.com/listing/90541045/chalkboard-pad-reclaimed-wood-and)
    And @Kiki, they also sell individual Chalk tablets in their etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/listing/73652714/chalkboard-tablet-reclaimed-wood-and