before & after: pattern-filled bathroom redo

We have two incredible bathroom makeovers for you today. First up is this pattern-filled guest bathroom renovation from Kim Gray. Kim was working with a very small space, but she managed to bring a lovely sense of airiness and light to this bathroom with some smart design decisions. Swapping out the chunky blinds for a light, sheer curtain is an easy fix, but I think it was a stroke of genius to add this mismatched-pattern tile floor. For such a small space, it makes a huge impact, and the little details — the mirror, patterned bowl sink and blue woven stool — keep the room from feeling too cold and impersonal. Amazing job, Kim! — Kate

More images and basic steps after the jump . . .

Time: one week

Basic Steps: After the bathroom was gutted, we re-floored with tiles from The Moroccan Warehouse. It’s a really simple bathroom, but it makes it look 10 times bigger, and the few special fittings are what make it. Make sure you use a builder that knows how to screed properly and that you choose a good quality screed (cement) as it can crack. But it’s a really beautiful modern yet rustic finish. — Kim

1. Love the floor tiles! Where is The Moroccan Warehouse? Do you have a web address?

2. Brilliant! I love this makeover. The sink, the half shower plastered walls, just beautiful!

3. Emily says:

Looks lovely – but I’m not sure I understand where the shower head is? I looked at Kim’s website and it seems she is in South Africa. I’ve been there, and stayed between homes and hotels and never encountered this type of set up.

Just curious.

4. Emelia says:

This is amazing! Love how you were able to open up such a small space. Loos divine!

5. What is the shower wall finish, structolite &??? How is it sealed?

6. siany says:

I love the patters on the tile and at the sink.. but the open shower would just be a mess for me

7. Emily says:

From where did you find the vessel sink? My white vessel sink is supposed to be installed today but I may have to put that on hold if I can find one like this…

8. I think it looks gorgeous. I’ve never seen one and so this question comes from a very curious and supportive place. With this type of shower, do you have an attachment that you can use to wet your body?

9. navyblueshoe says:

I love how light and airy this room looks!
    Love the floor tile choice and the sink + modern faucet combination. Nicely done.

10. Chris says:

Looks great ! I love the look ! Though I need someone to explain how the shower works, I don’t see a shower head ? When you’re done with your shower is it necessary to wipe down the entire bathroom ?

11. rebekka says:

W0w!!!! It is so inspiring to see bathrooms on the smaller side (like my own!) being redone in such creative and surprising ways. This is incredible!

12. Barbara says:

I too am curious how the shower works, especially with only a half wall. It all looks amazing.

13. Jorgina says:

Beautiful! But the sink looks more like it’s meant to be looked at, not used..

14. whislerpotpie says:

Audible gasp on the floor tile!

15. Katie says:

It’s beautiful… but how would you keep the water in the shower?

16. Arin says:

I would love to know what material was used for the shower walls. Thanks!

17. danielle m says:

oh those tiles, I’m in love…

18. so awesomely done – excellent vision for a tiny bathroom – love it!!!

19. Estela says:

I’m not getting the shower, is it halfway up? or higher? and the water will not go everywhere? or maybe it doesn’t matter is all tiled and can be cleaned up. Love the sink!

20. Wow. Such a striking change!

21. Cre says:

I’m guessing it’s a ceiling mounted rain shower head. That way they didn’t have to worry about water getting out if it’s coming straight down. Though I would think that some water may splash out. Love the floors!

22. Anne says:

Might be worth a trip to South Africa to get some tiles at the Moroccan Warehouse!

23. I love how architectural they made it. Awesomeness!!

24. Isabelle says:

I wish someone would write an article about how to contain shower water without the aid of a curtain or glass doors. I’ve stayed in hotels in Europe with this kind of hookup. Created one H of a mess. Water runs out of the bathroom, into the hallway even. I just don’t get it and for sure don’t want to have to contend with that mess in my home.

25. Wow – gorgeous randomness with those floor tiles!

26. Mell says:

Gorgeous! Please let me know where you got the sinks. Please explain all the questions above about the shower. Does water get everywhere? How do you wash your hair? What’s on walls to prevent them getting water logged. Thanks!

27. carmen says:

click Kim’s name for her blog. One of the images has a peek of the shower head http://www.kimgray.co.za/2012/03/23/my-design-series-53/img_4163/

28. Christina says:

Beautiful, beautiful makeover. The floor, the sink, the shower–even the curtain on the window just transformed this room into a brand-new space. Congratulations! Oh, and Isabelle–I know what you mean! It just takes practice!

29. Darcy Harvey says:

How is it that additional images illustrating where the water in the shower comes from weren’t posted? Odd. Great colors!

30. Jo McCarthy says:

This is the kind of bathroom I go to bed at night dreaming about…hard and soft in perfect balance. Fantastic job!

31. Wilma says:

Wow! I absolutely looooove this! It’s unique but timeless at the same time.

32. blake says:

stunning!

33. Jen says:

Oh, it’s beautiful! So well-done…and the tiles. Wow! Gorgeous. Great job! It looks so much bigger and airier now.

34. Anthea Grob says:

Definitely an inspirational makeover, it’s gone from soulless to charming.

35. that tile is so freakin’ inspiring i could scream. love it!! good for her and i fully intend to copy that idea. thanks for this post!

36. jay says:

Very nice. I’m also interested in how the shower water is controlled. Looks great though!
    Sink seems a bit teeny…

37. Jeff says:

Never thought of doing a floor like this one. It really is unique and a great example of being creative with style. Thanks for the wonderful ideas.

38. That sink is bad ass! It’s nice to see a Before and After done on such a small space. I’ll bear this one in mind, for sure.

39. blindsfirst says:

I love the Moroccan inspiration! The floor tiles and the patterned sink add a really unique touch to the space. Kudos to Kim for a great room transformation.

40. orlando says:

HUGE change in spatial/sensual experience! fabulous

41. mayen says:

wow! i fell in love with the after ♥

42. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this
    article and also the rest of the site is very good.