before & after: cinder block planter bar

I have a soft spot in my heart for cinder blocks — I consider them the closest thing to Legos for adults, and I get really excited when people use them in cool ways. I’ve seen many cinder block planters, which is understandable: The combination of gray cement and green herbs and succulents is lovely. Inspired by a cinder block planter project she saw on Apartment Therapy, Kristin decided to expand on the idea and incorporate more salvaged elements to create an outdoor bar. The mix of materials and colors is pretty and unexpected, and I love the idea that if you plant herbs in the blocks, you can simply reach down to add a sprig of something to your cocktails. Nicely done, Kristin! — Kate

Read the full post after the jump . . .

Time: 2 days

Cost: under $50 (including all supplies and plants)

Basic Steps: First was creating the optimum layout to make a structurally sound base that would support the addition of the wood top. Once the layout was determined and glued, it was fairly easy to secure the hardware cloth, landscape cloth and plant as you would any other planter. The concrete blocks are standard from Home Depot, and the adhesive is SikaBond Professional Construction Adhesive.

My advice is to find an adhesive that works for you. I highly suggest a landscape adhesive if you decide to try a different brand. We tried multiple and only had success with the landscape adhesive. Ours is compact enough that with the addition of the adhesive, we did not need any additional internal support. If you decide to go wider or taller, I would definitely consider some rebar. — Kristin

1. Jo Kin says:

Awesome!

2. Kristin says:

JASMINE: The Hardware cloth stuck by itself. If your square of cloth is larger enough it will grab on to the cinder block interior walls.

3. Yolanda says:

Love it Kristin! This is a great mix of fun color and rustic charm, and being a big fan of succulents, it is perfect for me. Just going to pin this gem in my dream farm as I want this to be a part of my forever home!

4. Well, that’s something fresh. Well done Kristin! I love the tinted glass !
    Margaret

5. Megan says:

What kind of wood did you use?? how did you treat it for outdoor use? Beautiful!!

6. JC S says:

Great job, looks very appealing for a cool summer night !

Could you give me your opinion about the block laying adhesive, I am thinking of using 123 Mortar that I think would work great?

Thanks !!

7. Diena says:

Hi Kristin, This is adorable ! It’s so darn cute that I’m going to copy it as soon as we’re in our new home = ) I think the only thing i might change is i would paint the cinder blocks black. I love the vibrant green color of the plants against the black. Then all i need to do is find the perfect back drop, i mean door = ) I can’t wait to get started, thanks for inspiring me <3

8. Margaret says:

I am a little unclear how you did the planting of the cinder blocks as well as the use of adhesive. Could you please clarify these steps? Thanks. This is adorable.

9. Valorie D says:

I’m a fairly new do it yourselfer. I love this project. Think it would be perfect for me.