the fox with the golden fur

My love affair with packaging has resulted in me buying an assortment of crazy things that I will probably never open or use. I own a beautifully illustrated box of Swedish tobacco chew that I will never consume, a small container of bobby pins from the ’20s with pink flamingo branding and Japanese rice paper envelope packaging that is too gorgeous (and fragile) to peel open. As open as I am to such non-functional purchases (they’ve inspired many projects and decorations), I relish the chance to buy beautiful packaging that I would actually consider opening, using and enjoying.

A great example is this incredibly elaborate chocolate packaging by Ultra Creative in Minneapolis. Inspired by fairy tales, The Fox with the Golden Fur is an amazing storybook, a paper-cut shadowbox and a set of illustrated chocolate wrappers. While these chocolates are part of a creative project and (sadly) aren’t for sale, I would happily tote these home with me to eat (it holds a pound of chocolate — that’s about one weekend’s worth, right?) and then keep for inspiration. Until that’s possible, you can read more about the project and check out details here. Thanks to Kristina for sending this over. xo, grace

More images after the jump . . .

1. Sarah says:

Sooo pretty from my home town MPLS! I’ve never seen anything like it! Please, please, please let us buy it!

2. wow that is beautiful!

3. christina says:

very pretty, a sweetened Joseph Cornell with a dash of shadow puppetry!

But I don’t totally understand – were the chocolates shelved inside that beautiful miniature paper theater-box? Or is the paper cut-out box a completely separate project from the chocolates? (I.e. do you pull out the chocolates to reveal the theater? That would be cool).

4. Terri says:

Very beautiful! This would make a very special gift for someone!

5. tera says:

How lovely! I used to have a nice collection of vintage match boxes. Alas, somewhere during one of my 38 moves (yah, I know…) I lost them.
    Thanks for sharing!

6. THIS IS INCREDIBLE! I am also a wee bit confused. Is it just the chocolate that is not for sale, but the book is for sale? Or none of it is for sale. In any event, truly amazing work.

7. Rachel says:

This is gorgeous! It looks too delicate to use, really. I love papercuts, and have always thought they would be great for telling a story of some kind. I hadn’t ever thought of using them to package food, though! Brilliant. As much as I love chocolate, I would have a hard time allowing myself to eat it, for fear of tearing up those illustrations while trying to unwrap the candy!

8. Amanda says:

how wonderful.

9. Cori says:

How stunning is that!

10. Tan says:

Oh my goodness that is BEAUTIFUL!
    I was first introduced to book cut out art like this in art class in university. I love that I’m seeing it more and more now. It’s just such beautiful, delicate work.

11. Jade Bentley NZ says:

Wow…… Love love love. The beauty of chocolate and paper delights. So creative!!!! Want please!!!!!

12. Kristina says:

Thank you Grace! xo!!

13. Bruce says:

Chocolate ! Chocolate ! Chocolate ! The wrap is pretty cool too !!!!!!

14. Ty says:

To answer a few of the other comments: Yes, both the book and the chocolates are housed inside the shadowbox. The book is the first piece that slides out. As the reader follows the narrative, a chocolate bar is removed to reveal the next scene. As each bar is removed, we are taken deeper in to the story and deeper in to our little shadowbox. Gorgeous illustrations on the wrappers separate the layers of intricate laser diecutting. These layers are surprisingly durable if handled with a reasonable amount of care.

15. Lisa says:

very beautiful, but where is it for sale? I can’t find it anywhere and am guessing it is just a design project, a show-off piece…
    the Ultra Creative site is also fun, but very time-demanding hence annoying. You might be able to locate information if you stay and play for a while, or if you already know where to click, but in about 5 efforts I got no into about this book, and a clue about several other projects, and their staff…tired me out.
    no one else seems to have more than this set of pictures….help!

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Lisa –
      Please read the post above. Grace says “…these chocolates are part of a creative project and (sadly) aren’t for sale”

I understand that it can be frustrating to see something on a website that you can’t purchase, but oftentimes, it is this very exposure that can send a product to the market. If you want to go one step further, you can email the company and let them know how much you love their work and would love to purchase it.
      Thanks,