sourdough starter DIY

Today is food day here at D*S, so it seemed fitting to kick off the morning with something food related. This clever DIY sourdough starter kit from Armommy would make a great gift, weekend project with friends/kids or just a nice housewarming present for a new neighbor. I’ve never been much of a bread (or any other type) baker, but these sweet labels (available for download on Armommy’s site) make it a tempting idea. If you’re up for a little baking this weekend, click here to check out the project and download some cute labels for your jar. xo, grace

1. Katie says:

This is so cool! My day job is office management for a bakery, so I’m a little tickled by just about anything sourdough!

I’ll have to check out the recipe so I can start baking more breads at home and get some use out of those great labels!

2. Shari Grant says:

Love the labels,just wish you could buy sour dough starter!!!!!

3. Charlene says:

Just be sure the jar is big enough to let the starter expand!

4. How cool are these labels! You’re full of awesome finds!

5. Cori says:

Such a great idea and such cute labels

6. Dominique says:

So cute!

How do you make a bread of this starter? Any recipes?

7. E says:

You can actually sourdough starters but there are plenty of recipes online that are quite simple.

8. Dominique, I have a recipe on my blog for really un-fussy sourdough starter –and there are plenty of sourdough bread (and even cookie) recipes on my site as well, most of them no-knead.

The Starter:

The Sourdough Category:

Hope that helps!

Bad Mama Genny

9. romney says:

Dan Lepard has a good recipe that uses starter:

..and a great book with loads more info on different breads that use a sourdough starter (as well as many other breads):

10. stef says:

Sold. I’m starting one tonight.

11. Sara says:

I just starting baking my own bread from a starter last year after going to France. I’ve been using the recipes in the book “Tartine Bread” by Chad Robertson, which I’d highly recommend. Their country loaf is absolutely amazing and you can make it sweeter or more sour depending on how you mix it. It takes a little practice, but you won’t regret it— and it’s seriously as good as the bread we ate in France.

12. anne says:

what a great concept! must make immediately!