sneak peek: lou mora and sarah yates

Photographers Lou Mora and Sarah Yates moved into this Los Angeles home with their two dogs, Ruca and Eleanor, just over a year ago. They’ve managed to create a little haven from the craziness of the city — at night they can even hear owls and coyotes. As photographers, their work takes them all over the world. Lou specializes in environmental portraits and lifestyle photography, while Sarah is a wedding photographer and founder of the wedding photography collective Birds of a Feather. But when they’re home, they love to walk the dogs, cook and entertain (all of which, Sarah writes about on her home blog, A House in the Hills) so it was important that their house feel cozy, warm and welcoming. Thanks, Lou & Sarah! — Amy Azzarito

Image above: The artwork that hangs in our entryway is our most favorite — it’s a piece by our friend Kevin Appel. I’ll never forget the day we hung it on that black chalkboard wall; we were like two giddy school kids all hopped up on candy. That was a big day for us. The bench is a Rosebowl Flea Market find, and the ampersand was a gift from Aileen Cheng, the graphic designer I worked with on Birds of a Feather. (Paint: Rust-Oleum Latex Chalkboard Paint)

Image above: We love entertaining and having friends over for dinner. The table is reclaimed wood on metal legs, the yellow Eames chairs were an eBay steal and the metal wire chairs are from CB2. The Patrick Townsend chandelier is a favorite, and the boucherouite rug-turned-wall hanging cozied it up for us. (Paint: Rust-Oleum Latex Chalkboard Paint)

See more of Lou & Sarah’s Los Angeles home after the jump . . .

Image above: Sarah coveted this womb chair for years before she scooped one up used at a vintage store in San Diego. The most important thing to us in a living room is the cozy factor. And when the fireplace is going and there’s a movie on, there’s no place in the world that’s more comforting to us than this room.

Image above: This Sanna Annukka print was a surprise for Lou and found a perfect home above our fireplace.

Image above: Our living room features a wall of shelves that holds our TV, record player, books, magazines we can’t bear to recycle and a whole lot of other fun things. It’s one of the first things people notice when they come over; it gets a lot of compliments. I like that there’s a lot to look at when you’re sitting on the couch.

Image above: This is where I spend a good chunk of my days. I chose things that were bright and colorful to keep me going when the to-do list seems never-ending! The desks are from Pottery Barn, the rug was a sale find at Anthropologie, the giant framed print is Shepard Fairey and a gift from a client.

Image above: We found these old wine boxes at a reclaimed wood store in LA and Lou nailed them into the wall to create a shelving unit. It’s the focal point of his office and displays lots of his favorite things.

Image above: We wanted our bedroom to feel like a boutique hotel, so we painted the walls a gold chevron, saved our pennies for a Moroccan wedding blanket and kept the bedding all white. The piece on the wall is a beloved wedding gift from Kevin. Our dog Ruca has a great view outside to make sure that nothing suspect is happening. (Paint: Modern Masters Olympic Gold Metallic, water based)

Image above: Our hallway is the perfect napping spot for a pup who can’t decide which office she’d rather be sleeping in. We found these rugs on a recent trip to Austin. The painting, photographs, light and peacock are all vintage. The monkey hanging on the door is a memory from a trip to Sayulita, Mexico.

1. Vicki says:

Hello, your home is achingly beautiful, gorgeous in every way. What makes it so great is how personal you have made it!

2. sarah says:

thank you thank you!!!
    hi vatsala, we got the light from design public : http://www.designpublic.com/shop/patrick-townsend/8802

3. Jojo says:

I want to live in this home! Great inspiration to give my own place a little more love.

4. What a wonderful sneak peek! Sarah’s photography and design sense are both such an inspiration!

5. I keep coming back to this tour! Sarah, your home & your style is so beautiful!

6. sarah says:

I might have missed it — source for the rugs in Austin? This is a lovely home!

7. sarah says:

thanks so much!
    sarah, the rugs are from tesoros trading company http://www.tesoros.com/homepage.html

8. The pink chair from the study is lovely! I also love how she took it easy on the windows and the use of sheer white curtains which complemented the simplicity of the walls. I would like to advise that she can go bold on that (curtains) too, maybe put in a luxurious curtain ensemble once in a while for a real visual treat!

9. Love the wooden wine boxes and what you’ve done with them. Very cool.

10. Kat says:

Hello,

I’m also interested in knowing the reclaimed wood store in LA. We’d love to know! Thank you.

11. That brass penguin is Awesome!!!! Loved your Awesome place ;-)

12. Susie says:

wait a sec…..YOU contacted ME because you liked the style of my Palm Springs place? My Gosh. Sarah this is beautiful and peaceful and warm but clean. Now move it all to the desert!

13. Amber says:

Random – but what width are your chevron stripes? I didn’t realize how hard it would be to decide what width to do and I think I’m loving yours!!

14. Liz Dugas says:

love the shelving unit made from old wine boxes and would like to replicate this in my home. Can you provide the total overall dimensions (total height, width & depth).
    thank you for your time.

15. Alison says:

Love the photos of your home. I actually just moved out of that same house and recognized the chevron stripes from my bedroom! We loved that home and it is nice to see how your family enjoyed it before us. Ps-thank you for the string lights in the backyard. It made it that much more special!