sarah rainwater seed kit

Spring is basically here in Brooklyn, so I’m excited that gardening posts are now back on my plate. While I don’t have a lot of room to grow things in my own home, I’m committed to trying (again) to grow a windowsill herb harden this year. This beautiful seed kit from Sarah Rainwater is a great way to get myself motivated. Sarah has gathered six different types of heirloom vegetable and herb seeds (chosen for their relative ease of growth- perfect for a novice gardener) and combined them with custom designed biodegradable seed pots, instructions for growing, a calendar and a clever recipe for using the things you’ve just grown.
This would be such a fantastic house warming gift, or just a way to encourage yourself to start growing things this year. You can pick up Sarah’s kits right here for $28 or $48 (with the wooden box). Happy planting… xo, grace

More images after the jump…

1. Charlotte says:

What a great idea

2. This is such a sweet gift and so beautifully put together… I think I might weep with delight if someone presented me with one! We are making plans for our first year of gardening on our decks (we live in a commercial bldg)… this is such a sophisticated way to get things started. Beautiful post!!

3. What a smart all-in-one package, love the forethought of providing recipes to reap the gardening benefits and I am such a sucker for great packaging! Man I am ready to get my hands in the ground.

4. megan says:

that is super cool! i love the look and most of all, the purpose!

5. Courtney says:

Wow, that’s gorgeous. I’ve thus far been hopeless with plants so this kind of simplicity really appeals to me.

6. Katie says:

This is so cool! I’ve been wanting to start an herb container garden, so this might just be the best way to get things rolling!

7. kate says:

Again? If you haven’t already purchased this 28 SEED kit, just buy four or five herb plants from Lowe’s (out soon, I bet!!), like I did THREE years ago. I live in MA where it gets COLD and SNOWY, and Three of the five herbs in giant pots, now, actually survive out there till Spring and come back. They’re not even supposed to!!! Lemon Balm, SAGE – grows like a weed, and I noticed yesterday it has wooden stalks, instead of the tender tiny stems it came with!, and Thyme. and let them die. If I were not lazy, I could keep them inside over the winter. I do NOTHING to the other three, except watch them grow :) and use. Seed starting is a frustrating and too often futile event.

8. ali says:

I have one too and it is AMAZING! All of my plants are growing in my garden already (Los Angeles). Thank you Sarah, talented and cool as always.

9. Carlene says:

@ Kate… You can buy your stuff at Lowe’s, but for me, I’ll stick to private, NON-Monsanto origins. This box is awesome since it has HEIRLOOM seeds, which if you are buying at Lowe’s 99% chance that’s not what you are getting. Keep up the good work Sarah !