living in: pollock

by

If Pollock is to be believed, being a genius ain’t easy. And why would it be? As one of the first major American abstract painters, Jackson Pollock had his work cut out for him, powering through negative criticism until his work was accepted by the art community and the world at large. Though his life was ruled by self-destruction, he got things aesthetically right. — Amy Merrick

1. Vintage Brushes, $10; 2. Jadeite Mugs, $30; 3. Jackson Pollock Print, $2; 4. Farmhouse Sink, $2099; 5. Kitchen Towels, $15; 6. Rotary Phone, $57; 7. Hand Brush, $9; 8. Fieldnotes, $12.50; 9. Enamel Coffee Pot, $60; 10. Filament Bulb, $9

The full post continues after the jump . . .

A light-filled Greenwich Village studio, minimal furniture and masculine accessories — all pluses for setting a nice looking scene. Seeing him dance around a canvas, paint flinging and swinging, it’s obvious that he was a master maker. Tortured soul aside, he makes me want to grab a brush and get dripping.

1. Truman Sconce, $129; 2. Arrow Sign, $32; 3. Rite in the Rain Notebook, $4; 4. Folding Scissors, $1; 5. Vintage Easel, $995; 6. F-Troop Work Boots, $99; 7. Vintage Work Bench, $2495; 8. IBM Clock, $235; 9. Paintbrush, $; 10. Gamsol Mineral Spirits, $4

1. Stevie says:

This has me dreaming of a Pollock-inspired painted floor or maybe a giant rug or wall hanging. Some abstract, celestial painted fabric hanging over a bed would be nice.

2. Stephanie says:

Like Pollock pictures but may be I prefer personally Rothko !! But this is more a question of personal taste!! In any case a great study would be one of my dreams!!

3. Rebecca says:

Beautiful. One of my favorite living-ins by far!

4. Sarah says:

I love this series so much. I hope you do In The Mood For Love one of these days (http://www.criterion.com/films/198-in-the-mood-for-love).

5. Sandra Joyce says:

What a lovely set! I envy such effortless artistry. :) Thanks for the post!

6. InkSketch says:

GREAT choice. Thank you for getting it.

7. Ruth Moser says:

It was interesting to see the photo of him starting a canvas with those scribbled marks. Love those lived in interiors.

8. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi Sarah –
    You got your wish! Amy did In the Mood for Love. It’s right here: http://www.designsponge.com/2010/03/living-in-in-the-mood-for-love.html
    Thanks!
    Amy A

9. Sue says:

LOVE this movie. LOVE Ed Harris. These actual pics of him & his life with Lee Krasner prove just how right this movie got it…. incredible!

10. I’ve always wanted to watch this film….on my ever-growing list already! The stills look fantastic, and I just love that kitchen with the claw-foot bath tub right there, wonderful….hehe…. Heidi

11. Herringbone says:

Everytime there is a new post somebody writes ‘such a coincidence!- I just saw this last night!’ Now I’m that person :)
    It is indeed very inspirational to watch someone paint!

12. bluevioletnova says:

I just watched a movie that would be great for Living In – “The Goodbye Girl”. Fabulous 70’s decor!