Living in a Nutshell

Image above: Classical columns on the front door drawn in chalkboard paint

Living in a Nutshell (just released yesterday!) showed up in the office last week. We’re pretty picky about books here and can be particularly hard on craft books, but I literally found myself saying “wow” on nearly page. The book is packed with more than 100 simple projects to revitalize apartments. It’s perfect for renters — almost every project is reversible or portable, and all are accomplished on a tiny budget. It actually inspired me to begin work on a kitchen makeover in my own apartment. Author Janet Lee is an Emmy Award-winning television producer (she worked for 10 years as a senior producer for the Oprah Winfrey Show) who lives in New York City where she has styled countless tiny apartments.

All images: Aimee Herring and Living in a Nutshell

Image above: New uses for vintage paint-by-numbers — a small side table gets a woodland topper.

Image above: Liquid starch is used to adhere fabric to apartment-grade cabinets. (These are easily removable when you leave.)

Image above: A custom window cover-up. From the outside, this privacy film reads “You Look Good in That.”

1. KR says:

Who designed that curtain fabric in the last photo? It’s fabulous.

2. Paul says:

Love the mirror idea… what a great way to start your day!

3. i.ikeda says:

Oh my God, this is perfect! My husband is getting transferred to a big city and we’re going to have to rent (probably a much smaller place) since it’s only going to be for 2 or 3 years. This book comes right when I need it.

4. divina chita says:

Wonderful ideas!!!
    I loved the door!!!

5. The photo of the kitchen sold me. Wonderful ideas!

6. Chelsea Ward says:

This whole book looks fabulous! Makes me want to find a terrible tiny apartment and test out everything!

7. Love that door. Wish we could get a closer look at it. Chalkboard painting seems to be in the wind these days.

8. Brooke says:

I second the question about who designed that fabric. It’s look great in my condo :)

9. Wow, this really looks like a great one. I’m not much of a craft book person, but as a major nutshell-liver I think I’m sold!

10. Julia says:

Love the idea of applying fabric to the kitchen cabines. I have awful, dingy looking cabinets I absolutely hate. I know I can’t paint them so I was trying to figure out what I could do to make them over that is reversible. Such a great idea!

11. Stephanie says:

How original colours!!!

12. Amy Azzarito says:

Hi guys! All the details about how-tos, fabric sourcing, and project close-ups. are in the book. There are so many great ideas! Enjoy!

13. Homesav says:

Love the door! Perfect for people who are constantly bored with one design.

14. PhillyLass says:

I’m in love with that pink and white chevron rug. Anyone know who makes it?

15. Anna says:

eveyone inquiring of the fabric– it is from Ikea! i have a few yards of it from about 2 years ago. They always have a fun and funky selection.

16. Sarah Reiss says:

Reserved the book at my local bookstore after seeing the first photo. Can’t wait to pick it up at lunch today!! Looks like my lunch hour may have to come early.

17. Izzy says:

i absolutely loved the door and the kitchen was so beautiful with all the colors

18. Suze says:

Page 196 of the book tells you where to buy the fabric…it’s a very detailed resource guide full of information.

19. Tania says:

Love the privacy film on the bathroom window. Such a simple but fun idea… much more interesting than standard plain etched film.

20. Courtney says:

The kitchen shot completely sold me. Just ordered a copy!

21. Emily says:

Whats film fabric,and is the fabric on the cabinets removable? Im going to try it in my apartment : )

22. Janet says:

How did the paint by numbers get installed on the table?