falcon enamelware

People keep telling me not to cook with (or invest in) enamel dishes and baking ware because they chip easily. But I can’t help myself. Though I haven’t purchased any yet, I’m tempted by their sweet simplicity. No super heavy pots and pans, just simple white pieces with a little lip of red or blue. These tumblers, pie sets and baking sets from Falcon Enamelware are so classic that they basically scream, “Make a pie with me!” and beg to jump right into my e-shopping basket. They remind me of country homes and summers spent outdoors, all good things to think about now that the Brooklyn¬†temperatures have dropped again. I’m eyeing the tumbler set, but you can check out Falcon Enamelware’s full collection (and shop online) right here. (One of those little red tumblers would make a great toothbrush holder). xo, grace

1. I love enamelware! There remind me of my Grandparent’s old camping enamelware…only these are a lot more stylish ;) Love it!!! xo

2. tamanna says:

What’s wrong with chips? All the enamelware I own is chipped and I love it all the more….;) These are lovely!

From Falcon Enamelware FAQ:

If my enamelware chips can I still use it?
    Yes. Just like any other ceramic, the outer porcelain layer can chip if dropped, revealing the steel beneath it. When this happens the steel below naturally oxidises and the enamelware remains safe to use. Plus, in our opinion, it gains a little more character.

3. Nicholas Hunot says:

I like the look, very 1920s/1930s. Although it’s odd that their site shows pictures of plates, but they don’t seem to sell or make plates.

4. Robyn S says:

I was disappointed to see that for the moment they only ship within the UK. I hope that changes soon.

5. Peter says:

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

Nicholas – we’re launching plate sets this summer with red and grey rims, as well as some new mug colours and ‘Prep Sets’ (nested bowl and colander sets), which we’re excited about.

6. Liz says:

Little bits of happy color. Not too bright. Evocative. Definitely brings camping to mind although or a house on a lake with a porch and a dock and a row boat. The four cups in a row anywhere would be calming.

7. Oh, gosh. I see these and I want to buy them and embellish them with those old decals I see at antique shops. You can find the decals online. They are specifically for enamelware…and kitchen cabinetry. My grandmother put one on her refrigerator. I would like to find an old refrigerator and put vintage decals on it. But get the look of the old enamelware with vintage decals, which are relatively inexpensive. Just don’t buy the rare ones, just the more common ones.

8. Karen says:

Grace, I can’t believe people are telling you chipping is a reason not to buy enamelware! I have a wee cafe and our enamelware is the only thing that doesn’t have weekly casualties that end up in the bin because of hitting our tiled floors. We’ve never had something chip so badly it couldn’t be used safely to serve food and as we bought the enamelware directly from a falcon wholesaler it was cheaper as well as being more beautiful than any other options. Anyway, in the markets around East London, where we’re based, chipped “aged” enamelware sells for three times what you’d pay for it brand spanking new!

9. Danielle says:

Love enamelware! I’ve been wanting a set of dishes to use outside (and in) – enough with the melamine everywhere!

10. Becca says:

What beautiful enamelware! I’ve had enamel products on my ind lately – to me they strike a mix of utilitarian and nostalgic but also a little bit of luxury. The luxury bit may just be me but there’s something about a rich glossy finish that I love.

11. Cuppa says:

I used them to death. from serving baby food, to cooking soups, to leftover food storage (I have some that comes with lids!). They looks so rustic in photos and are easier on the wallet. I get mine from Thailand.

12. Eva says:

Don’t listen to them! Go buy enamel pie dishes! They just get more character when they are chipped. I love enamel, especially old and worn enamel!

13. Anna says:

I inherited my grandad’s falcon enamelware collection and I have to say I’m mystified as to how you chip it as certainly his stuff seems indestructible. It’s really easy to clean and great for popping stuff into a low oven to keep warm if you haven’t got your timings exactly right.

14. Diane says:

Grace, according to their site they do not ship to the US.

15. danielle says:

i bought two little enamel bowls (i don’t know what brand they are as they don’t have a logo on them ) at Merci in Paris last year and am looking forward to adding to my collection – anyone know a stockist in Australia ?

16. Tinder says:

Thanks Grace & Peter for the update, please note Robyn, Diane, et al:

We’ll be stocking fab Falcon Enamelware soon, shipping all over North America, via Tinder.ca, please stay tuned!
    Cheers

17. CB says:

Very excited to fill my e-cart, too, only to find it isn’t available in the US. Hurry, please! What a tease…Also, large cereal bowls would be great in the same colorways as the tumblers….

18. Oh I love that!!!

Pretty Harbor // Jewellery

19. pinky says:

i am in love with enamel ware,is there a coffee pot available?

20. Unpacked three pallets of Falcon enamel tumblers, dinner plates, pie plates, bake sets, pie sets, tea pots and nested mixing bowls yesterday at our store Odgers and McClelland Exchange Stores online and at Nundle, New England NSW.

21. Tracey says:

I know how old this post is. I have been trying to decide between enamelware and plain stainless steel. Replacing all the kids plastic crap. Falcon has perfect sizes for the kids. A little hard to find the right ones. I wish they would bring out a kids range. I have been putting it off because everyone is saying no its chips get boring stainless steel. I love the comments here I think I am going to jump in and just do it.