before & after: london flat makeover

I’ve always loved exposed brick walls inside homes, but it can be difficult to bring warmth and coziness to these industrial spaces. I love so many elements in this apartment renovation from Cassidy Hughes, an interior designer living in London: the open shelving in the kitchen, the minimal new bathroom layout and the eye-catching citron-colored quilted sofa in the living room, just to name a few. This space feels relaxed and lived in but not overcrowded, and I love that they kept the salvaged look consistent throughout with industrial-style lighting fixtures and rustic furniture pieces. Nicely done, Cassidy! — Kate

See the full before and after images after the jump . . .

Time: 5 months

Cost: £30,000 (about $48,000) for all remodeling costs, furniture, lighting and accessories

Basic Steps: The apartment is a warehouse conversion, so the goal was to embrace the industrial feel of space. I think the most helpful advice I could give someone trying to achieve this look is knowing where to spend money and being very creative and diverse in your sourcing. The lighting was a vital aspect to achieving this look, so we spent a lot of time and money finding the perfect ones.

The dining table and bench, however, were great market finds, originally from a pub in Germany and a steal at £300. The kitchen is a perfect example of this; we mixed high-end appliances with Ikea cabinets and sink. Don’t be afraid to make bold choices, and trust your instinct. For me, it was the sofa that was met with initial reservations from almost everyone, but even the skeptics agree that it ended up being perfect for the space. — Cassidy

1. casacaudill says:

I don’t know why anyone would want to get rid of that fabulous toilet seat. :-)

2. Danielle says:

I appreciate how spare and warm this is at the same time.

3. Frances says:

What company makes the sofa?

4. April says:

Beautiful small space!

5. SFDC says:

How I covet that ligne-roset sofa!

6. Lillie says:

@ Frances: The sofa is part of the Ruche collection by Ligne Roset.

This flat is FABULOUS!

7. Joanna says:

When can I move in? Also, what part of London? I lived there for a spell, so was just curious. I don’t know why, but I’m thinking Wandsworth.

8. Lauryn says:

Wow the bathroom is my favorite!! Cant believe that see through blue toilet seat…

9. Christina says:

Lovely flat and the sofa is really cute!

If you are looking for a similar bench and table: it’s called a “Bierzeltgarnitur” and costs between 60 and 200€. That is new and complete with one table and two benches. They are usually used outside in the summer. I fear those rather sharp metal feet will be scraping the floor soon…

10. Love the bricks, the sofa, the bathroom, the dining table… Wonderful!

11. tinyhands says:

Nice, but the bathroom is the only thing that deserves the tag “makeover” — everything else was merely decorated. It’s not a makeover when you start with nothing. I like it all though.

12. Maria says:

The blue toilet seat has to be the funniest thing I’ve seen this week…or ever.

13. Julie says:

I’m looking for a small space toilet! Is it possible to get the manufacturer and dimensions?

14. I love exposed brick…especially the painted brick in the bedroom…and that copper pendant…gorgeous!

15. YL says:

This looks very much like the Wool Factory in Aldgate East . But nicely done :)

16. How awesome is that couch and the matching ottoman/coffee table!?

17. oh yes, love that sofa! Its grid texture perfect with grid of the brick, but with the fab contrast of soft/hard, AND the colour! (oh, but I do agree with Christina about those metal feet scraping over wooden floors….)

18. Lou says:

Love it all, except the display of loo paper. Yuk.

19. Ruth says:

What a fabulous place! A great mix of furniture that work really well together, I especially like the couch!

20. Erin says:

Do you know where the pillowcases are from?

21. Katie says:

The sofa isn’t my style, but works so well with this flat. The ottoman would be a great accent though.
    The only thing I would change is that I would have kept the wall tile in the bathroom. I have a thing for good tiles, and this looked so cute (Though the fish toilet seat did need to go.).

22. celia says:

Great makeover! Love that sofa! Who makes that?

23. Courtney says:

I love how it’s so warm despite being industrial. The quilted sofa is such a sweet touch. Beautiful!

24. Amie says:

Wait, I don’t get it, what’s wrong with the original toilet seat? Just kidding! It’s cute and funny, but definitely didn’t fit with their style, so I guess I can understand why they chose to do without it.

25. Beth S says:

@Erin – I love those pillowcases, too! Would love to snag a pair for myself :)

26. Savanah says:

What a gorgeous before and after! That couch is to die for! And I hope you kept that old toilet seat- surely that can be used for something fantastic, like a reminder how not to EVER decorate your house! :P

27. Linda says:

The floor looks brillaint. Any foor-buff guess if it was resanded or just varnished? Love the bench

28. Julia says:

Love it! The sofa is awesome….where did you get the gorgeous copper light fixture in the bedroom?

29. Cassidy says:

@Joanna – It’s in Whitechapel

@Erin – The pillowcases are from a local illustrator, you can find them on her etsy shop:

@Linda – The floor was resanded throughout and varnished

@Julie – Toilet specs: Starck 3 Series Floor Back To Wall WC Pan, 655 x 360mm, White Starck 3 Series Dual Flush Cistern, 390 x 185mm, White Starck 3 Toilet SoftClose Seat & Cover White

The sofa is by Ligne Roset (Ruche)

Thank you everyone!

30. kat says:

I don’t get what used to be to the left of the toilet. Is it a shower? a tub?

31. This is a gorgeous flat, but I don’t see $30,000 in renovations here: is labor very expensive, or were there many hidden costs not evident in the photos?

32. Hotsy Malone says:

Who makes that fantastic sofa and ottoman????

33. casey says:

love it!!!

34. Carlos says:

I don’t like the idea of keeping exposed brick in the cooking area. I personally need some kind of tiling or wipable surface as backsplash, since it easily gets dirty when sauteeing, frying, etc. Same thing for the floor area right around the cooker. Other than that, I love this London apartment.

35. lua says:

yes, admittedly, prefer the Before w.c. as well… cannot do the sterile all white w.c. room. Love exposed brick and happy to be living with it, it feels quite warm, actually. The windows in this place are super and the floors :) only thing I’d wish for would be a bit more height for the ceiling.

36. Alexandra says:

I love the lamp over the bed! Where it come from?

37. fabi says:

truly awsome! so cool and warm at the same time. shall I move in, please?

38. THe Bathroom is great. I LOVE that green sofa.

39. So charming! Love love love.

40. FIONA says:

@KATIE Keep the tiles??! Nearly every single new build flat has tiles like this in the UK, I’d bet every bathroom in the building looked the same! I’d also bet the space in the flat is miniscule but it doesn’t look cramped in there. Clever!

I notice they got rid of the blue kitchen cupboards too, I have to say they looked pretty unique!

41. Judy says:

Fabulous work Cassidy! Anxiously waiting to see more.

42. UT says:

Is that a glass “wall” on top of the stove? If so, that seems like a cool – and practical – idea for the kitchen, to stop the splatters that someone was concerned about.

43. Jess says:

I love this room so much. I really wish I had brick walls like this in my apartment!

44. Marta says:

Loving the look. The lime green sofa and footstool are just lush, homey and funky

45. Dovile says:

Great Transformation !
    Especially like the bath room AFTER !

46. White, dark and green again. Love it. Exposed brick is timeless

47. The lime green sofa is amazing! Love the interesting texture it introduces. It just draws your eyes to it.

48. Jo Kin says:

I agree this does not qualify as a makeover however this decoration was well done!