The Best Navy Interiors

In honor of this month’s navy theme on the new Design*Sponge Pinterest page, I was inspired to go through the Sneak Peek archives and hunt for navy in homes. I tried hard to stick to navy and not get distracted by teal or cornflower, and there was a lot of turquoise that didn’t make the cut, either. Navy is one of my favorite shades of blue, and lately I’ve been really into the deep, almost-black navy. I think it’s going to play a supporting role in the new Design*Sponge office space. — Amy Azzarito

Image above: Navy accents in Morgane Sezalory’s white bedroom in Paris.

Image above: This blue and white bedspread gives the bedroom a nautical feel. From Sneak Peek: Joel Fitzpatrick

Image above: A beautiful shade of blue in Fiona Douglas’ Glasgow, Scotland, home

See more Best of: Navy after the jump!

Image above: Blue velvet sofa in Jordan Carlson’s Brooklyn apartment

Image above: Navy chair from Urban Outfitters in Carla & Jack Fahden’s Minneapolis home

Image above: Navy rug in Rob & Julie Maigret’s Los Angeles living room

Image above: The navy-accented living room in Emma Jeffs’ London home is filled with artwork created by friends and family.

Image above: Belgium wardrobe in Cassandra Ellis & Ed Prichard’s London home. Technically, it’s painted “Off Black” by Farrow & Ball, but it gives a navy vibe.

Image above: Klara Bothen hung “Clouds” by Swedish textile designer Gunila Axén in her bedroom.

Image above: A quilt made with wool from a Michigan sheep farm adorns the bed in Meghan McEwen’s new Detroit b&b, Honor&Folly.

Image above: Batik dyed bedspread in Naomi Stein’s Philadelphia apartment

Image above: A patterned backsplash in Brooklyn designed by Lauren Stern

Image above: Batik bedspread in Max Freeman and Margaret Singer’s Brooklyn home

Image above: A newly renovated kitchen in Judith de Graaff’s home outside of Paris

Image above: Small office bathroom in Judith de Graaff’s home outside of Paris

Image above: A navy sofa pillow in Sisse Jonassen’s Hudson Valley home

Image above: Navy chair in Courtney Bishop’s home in Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina

Image above: In her Brooklyn kitchen, Juliet Gorman recovered her kitchen chairs in fabric from Purl SoHo.

Image above: A Japanese and Scandinavian design-inspired bench in Elodie Laleous’ Paris apartment

Image above: To unify their Brooklyn railroad apartment, Alison Feldmann and Jeff Bergstrom kept the color palette simple: blues, whites and grays.

Image above: A blue chair in the home of Copenhagen artist Sarah Havass

Image above: To give the kitchen a custom look that didn’t have a custom price tag, Gemma Ahren replaced existing doors with MDF doors, which she then spray painted an inky blue. The trick here was to make the doors slightly longer than usual, so they look more bespoke and expensive.

1. Ellie says:

So very blue-tiful :-) Love this post!!

2. vrensen says:

wow! as navy blue is one of my favourite colours I love this post! Esp the blue kitchen!

3. EllieTac says:

Love this space sooooo much!!! It is so unique, simple and each one area has a message!

4. nicole says:

Where is the fabric from on those toss pillows in the Fiona Douglas photo? Just gorgeous!

5. I just love Navy! Great post :)

6. the blue. so well done. so pretty and sophisticated. a breath of fresh air from the all the thrifty stuff.

7. Vanessa says:

there is just somehting so wonderful about navy and white…

8. Julia says:

we are buying paint this week to have our house painted next week…planning a navy accent wall. this was a great encouragement that we are on the right path :) thanks for sharing!

9. It’s funny…if you’d have asked me a few years back what my thoughts were on decorating with navy, I would have probably said it was a classic, but not really my style. Thank you D*S team for proving me wrong. I’ve been loving the navy look you’ve been highlighting both here on the blog and on Pinterest as of late. I’m almost ready to start decorating my own space with the deep blue hue!

10. LusterNYC says:

I have always hated navy, but at least 4 of those looks are incredible – maybe it’s time to rethink my navy issues!

11. Jennifer says:

Navy is my favorite color to wear and now I’ll be thinking about using it in my home! Great post!

12. Rita Wright says:

I love all the blue accents! It’s gorgeous! I think I’m inspired to redesign a room in my house with those colors. =]

13. dinah says:

i LOVE that giant pear in the last photo. How awesome would it be to have a giant peach too? (James and the Giant Peach XD)

loving the navy.

14. fremontfaris says:

What timing. Just last week, I found a beautiful navy paint for $1 on the “whoops” shelf at the hardware. I’ve been a navy-painting-machine since then. I’ll be sad when I run out of this happy accident.

15. Natalia says:

This home is giving me the blues, but in a good way!

16. Katie says:

That painting in Fiona Douglas’ house is amazing. Such rich colours.

17. anne says:

Who did the painting in the Fiona Douglas home? I love it.

18. There is nothing more classic than navy. Love all of these! The colors are so rich and vibrant–absolutely stunning!

19. Anastasia says:

awesome – very, very inspiring!

20. Kerri Anne Thomas says:

Max Freeman and Margaret Singers room featured here is lovely. Simple but with the complexity that comes from a perfectly evolved asthetic! Really caught my eye. Would love to see more of their Brooklyn home in the future.

1. Grace Bonney says:

you actually can see more of their home- their name is linked to their home tour in the post above, but here’s the link again in case you missed it:

21. I always thought blues are difficult to use as they are cool colours, but this post has completely changed my mind.

22. hena tayeb says:

Now I am in some serious need of navy!

23. Jan Kern says:

I have always wanted Navy-something. Be it a military man or a huge Navy comforter. Wait! they sound like the same thing. We are redoing house so far in blue, tuscany orange, mint green, yellow. Wood , ceramic and some carpets thrown around. So I am looking for ideas for my dream house. It is never too late

24. Jan Kern says:

25. PF Retailers says:

Navy is indeed a wonderful colour – it’s like a dash of royalty and strength. Anyways, these are lovely photos! The Batik bedspread in particular is gorgeous, especially with direct light from the window naturally highlighting the navy shade.

26. elena +deco says:

This year I am really into Stone Blue by Farrow & Ball. It is rich and it is the perfect background for copper, gold, white and wood. Be aware though, when you pick your shade of blue, that the perception of colour changes massively according to light. As a general rule if you don’t find the colour chosen too dark on a rainy day, then go for it. Here there a images as an examples of how the same shade of paint changes according to light and decoration:

27. Jayne Burton says:

Blue has always been my favourite colour so I love this post! I sometimes find it difficult to choose another colour over blue in my home, but have some accent colours slowly creeping in. I especially like the batik dyed bed covers and will have to look out for some of these.