sneak peek: asher israelow and jamie goldenberg

by

Asher Israelow and Jamie Goldenberg are a creative couple based in New York City’s West Village. Asher is an architectural and furniture designer working out of Red Hook, Brooklyn, and Jamie is a photo editor for Bloomberg’s Businessweek. Their home is a collection of objects, both handmade and admired. They have many designer and artist friends, so most of their furniture, ceramics, lighting and artwork have a personal history. Thanks, Asher and Jamie, and thanks to Chris Sanders for the great images! — Anne

Image above: An old writing desk Jamie and I bought in Brimfield, MA. It was beautifully crafted but had no base. Instead of building legs, we mounted it to the wall, allowing the desk to float. In the foreground is a prototype of a chair I’m currently working on in my shop. It’s a series of chairs built from a single slab with steel hardware. On the shelf is a (small) portion of Jamie’s vast camera collection.

Image above: I built this bed when Jamie and I decided to live together. We picked out the wood, sourced from a lumberyard she lived near in Sheffield, MA.

Image above: The old windows.

See more of Asher and Jamie’s New York City home after the jump!

Image above: The window sold us on the apartment. The place was under renovation at the time, but even through the dust and cracked plaster, one view was enough to make us fall in love with the place.

Image above: Our living room is a collection of things bought and crafted. The love seats I found on eBay. They are vintage Selig frames from the Danish modern era. The chandelier is designed by my friends at Workstead. The coffee and side tables I built while still in school. On the walls are old maps along the 43rd parallel.

Image above: We love having friends over for meals, so a big dining table is necessary. The chairs are my all-time favorites, designed by Charlotte Perriand for Les Arcs ski lodge. On the back wall is a painting by James Cogbill, a school friend and fellow collaborator.

Image above: I am very particular about the wood I use in my work. This piece was sustainably harvested by a small mill in South Carolina.

Image above: In New York City, there are so many treasures left out in the streets. This hat rack is a repurposed mannequin stand, and I found the mirror on an old dresser.

Image above: When we combined apartments, over half of the boxes were books. There’s not nearly enough shelf space, so we’ve been selectively editing ever since. A lot of great books were donated to the Occupy movement.

Image above: This mirror once belonged to Jamie’s great grandmother. The masks I found on a trip to Africa, and the frames are a touch of gold.

Image above: My drafting table is a wonder cabinet of materials. I am constantly researching and cataloging new textures, processes and finishes for future projects.

Image above: Jamie and I. By photographer friend Matthew Williams.

1. Christina says:

I love that old school desk nestled between the book shelves! So clever and a great way to make a vintage piece stand out. :)

Christina

2. Marcia says:

Love this place. All the wood work is gorgeous. Do they sell any furniture?

3. Erin Lewis says:

Oh my! Such a warm space, and such lovely light. Just wondering where one finds beautiful slabs of wood like this? I’m in Portland and don’t even know where to start?

4. Patrick says:

Hi Asher, I was wondering if you knew where I could source a wood headboard like the one on your bed. I think it’s incredibly beautiful and I just need a “headboard” as opposed to a full on bed. I currently sleep on an platform bed and my headboard is the wall. I would appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks so much,

Patrick in Chelsea NYC.

5. Gillianne says:

The headboard, the table–the live edges and textures are spectacular.

6. Jeanette says:

I love the ladder type book cases that frame the old desk.
    Are they custom?

7. Pamela says:

That coffee table is awesome!

8. That headboard is incredible! So many gorgeous wood details in your home…

9. What a beauty!!! Never has wood looked so fabulous ;)

10. emily says:

Where did you find that lovely Sonnabend print (shown reflected in the mirror in picture 11)?

11. janice says:

yes yes yes I would like info w/r/t headboard!!! it is gorgeous.

12. There are so many unbelievably gorgeous pieces in this home!!!

13. Lindsey L says:

I literally gasped when I saw that headboard, unbelievably gorgeous!! Seriously. Amazing.

14. Eva says:

The wood is absolutely gorgeous. Love the fact that it’s not always in straight lines. That dining table, and those chairs. Swoon.

15. What a great mix of natural wood and modern comfort. If you are looking for natural edged wood furniture (called “Live Edge”), companies out of the Pacific Northwest are your best bets. I am partial to The Design Pallet (www.thedesignpallet.com) because it’s my husband’s company, but there are others as well. I hope that helps!

16. Kate says:

I live across the street from Asher and Jamie’s building and every day I walk by, admire the windows and imagine the layout of the apartments. It’s such a treat to get a look inside! I am a sucker for custom and antique wood pieces, this is a a beautiful collection!

17. GB says:

That headboard is a stunner!

18. Monana Chavez says:

Gorgeous head board! I’ve been looking for over a year and realized something similar would be perfect. Could you please suggest the best way to get a piece through a lumber yard? More specifically in CA?

19. Asher says:

Hi Everyone. Thanks for all the wonderful comments! It’s great to find so many kindred aesthetes. To answer any questions about sourcing the wood for headboards, tables or otherwise, You can contact me directly at mail@asherisraelow.com. I work with a handful of lumberyards across the country, and happy to help if I can.

20. Catherine says:

I absolutely adore recovered vintage furniture- it has such a history to it. My other love is wood in its raw and natural forms. This home is absolutely beautiful and has a lot of character, I would love to live here!!!

21. Charlotte Garcia says:

Very curious as to where you found the observatory clock. I have an electrical one that looks exactly the same. I was told it came from Lick Observatory when I bought it.

22. That clock s amazing, what a find. The whole place has so many unique elements and personal pieces, my favourite kind of decorating style! What a gift to be able to make your own furniture.

23. Jamie says:

The clock came from Brimfield, a giant flea market in western Massachusetts. I sharpened my negotiating skills while buying this item. When we returned home, Asher sharpened his clock-fixing skills.

24. Katy says:

Where did you get the lovely coverlet/bedsread? So simple and perfect!

25. Nigel says:

In Portland, Oregon, you can source wonderful live-edge slabs (many species, including walnut like the one pictured) at Goby Walnut. Additionally, you can get slabs from reclaimed urban trees at Urban Timberworks.

26. AC says:

Dead on. This home has it all, and none of it is pretentious or over done. The textures are in complete harmony with each other. Bravo!

27. Cas says:

Lovely apartment. Filled with joy and warmth.

That looks like the now abandoned St. Vincents Hospital in the background. Entire generations of my family – the longshoreman and laborers who made NYC what it is today – were born in St. Vincents Hospital. Folks do a lot of chatting about fiscal mismanagement, however, I believe the hospital shut down because it lost out on federal funding for “reproductive rights”. St. Vincents was a Catholic Hospital and one fo the first to treat AIDS patients in NY. I am really really sad every time I walk by my now empty birthplace. A lot of good people worked there…union folks. A lot of good people lost their jobs. Given how expensive the real estate is in your neck of the woods, it amazes me that the hospital had to shut its doors with such a rich history. Apparently, the building is being converted to condominiums.

Quite admirable of you to give so much of your expansive library to the Occupy Wall Street movement.

28. robin gromel says:

I have the exact same clock in my house! never saw one like it before,