Punch Box Valentines from Leafcutter Designs

I’m a sucker for anything with a little history. So these punch box valentines inspired by the 1940s party games are right up my alley. When artist Lea Redmond of the World’s Smallest Post Office spotted the game Parlor Coo Coo on eBay, she was inspired to create a modern handmade version. When it was time to play the game, you’d push out a little accordion-fold paper slip that would tell your fortune, ask a trivia question or give you a challenge. Where the ’40s version has instructions like “Tie your shoelaces together and strut like a peacock,” Lea’s valentine “Sweet Words” version has romantic little sayings like “You are so awesome that I would loan you my favorite wool sweater” and “You are my lucky penny.” You can also create your own custom version (wouldn’t this make the best proposal ever?). If you’d like to know more about these games (they have a bit of a seedy past), one of my favorite sources for collecting information, Collectors Weekly, put together a great piece on their history. And you can order a punch box valentine from Leafcutter Designs here. Thanks for the tip, Lisa! — Amy Azzarito

1. Jill says:

Those original boxes are so cool! The modern versions are beautiful too! I’ve never seen these before.

2. Kate Z says:

How neat! Such a fun concept, and so different. Love it!

3. Sara says:

This is one of those things where I think “why didn’t I come up with that!!”… LOVE it!!

4. Katie says:

These are such a neat and different sort of valentine! I love them!

5. This is so clever. I wish I liked Valentine’s Day more, but little things like this make me smile.

6. Amanda says:

I love the creativity behind this! I can’t imagine someone not enjoying this on Valentine’s Day.

7. melenie says:

comic sans tho?

8. Super cute! Great idea! :)
    Célestine

9. These are darling! What a wonderful way to say I love you…imagine a ring inside too…

10. ls says:

melenie, i immediately thought the same thing. this was obviously “designed” so why go with such a thoughtless typeface?

11. April says:

Yep, I was on board until the Comic Sans.

12. Cute! But with the previous commenters about the Comic Sans@

13. mel mccarthy says:

What a great idea! (and I agree: sans the Comic Sans, perhaps)