new online travel magazine: wayfare

I love traveling, but particularly after fall’s 30-city book tour, sometimes I like reading about travel even more. So I’m particularly excited for Wayfare magazine, a brand new digital magazine devoted to travel. The editors, designers and contributors take a very design-centric approach to travel; the magazine isn’t just about where to go but also where to go to get inspired. When I was looking through the magazine, I got a little stuck trying to pick out my favorite article to describe. I love the piece by Kristy Carlson about raising her family in Africa. And another of my favorites, written by Meghan McEwen, uncovers places to stay in Sweden that are inspired by the forest — from tree hotels to forest huts. If you take a look at Wayfare‘s “Flight Crew” list, you might see some names you recognize. Wayfare art director/designer Anne Ditmeyer was the very first Design*Sponge intern in 2008 and has been contributing to the Sneak Peek column ever since. And her partner is art director/designer Lauren O’Neill, who designed the backdrop for our book event in Richmond.  They did an amazing job creating an online magazine that doesn’t feel awkward. (My favorite feature is that you don’t constantly have to resize the text to read an article.) Reading this magazine feels a bit like having your best adventurous, design-minded girlfriends tell you where to go, what to see and where to stay. I’m hooked. — Amy Azzarito

1. Emma says:

Wow – absolutely gorgeous! I’m bowled over by the design – it’s just so beautiful. Looking forward to curling up with Wayfare this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

2. a&b says:

Ahhh….I can’t even put into words how excited I am for a digital travel mag! Thanks for putting it up, I might have never known!

3. LindseyBee says:

This is the best magazine–I’m pumped for what else they have in store for us travel + design lovers. Congrats to them all! So exciting!

4. How exciting! I love Anne’s Pret a Voyager and can’t wait to get lost in the new magazine.

5. Michelle says:

What gorgeous photos and clean graphics! It’s like a huge blog post and I love the interactivity of all the goods + links, such a great project.

6. anne says:

Thanks so much for the wonderful feedback! This product was a true labor of love from the entire team, and we’re so happy to hear people are enjoying it. For anyone wanted to know a bit more about the story behind the project, here’s a post I wrote: http://www.pret-a-voyager.com/2012/02/introducing-wayfare.html

Cheers,
    Anne

7. So thrilled about this! It’s not just the travel, it’s the design, the photography, the style. So well done.

8. Susan says:

It is so well done, I love it!!

9. Megan says:

This.is.beautiful! Always searching for good travel resources – really appreciate you sharing this out!

10. So so so so…. and SO happy to be a part of the first issue! Thanks so much for this post and the kind words!

11. Courtney says:

Wow, that’s gorgeous. Perfect wanderlusty weekend reading!

12. Catherine says:

I read Anne’s blog Pret a Voyager, and I was soooo excited to see such a beautiful new travel magazine online. I love the thoughtful questions in each of the articles, and the way the features are so accessible; it’s amazing. I went to the Richmond book signing so I will definitely be looking at Lauren O’Neill’s work as well. Thanks for sharing such great work!

13. Ella says:

This looks just PERFECT. Thank you for the inspiration and for reminding me that travel is not how many miles you cover or how exotic the location. I was feeling a bit bah-humbug comparing my own recent (limited) travel opportunities with some friends and family who are jetting to far flung glamourous places. Feeling much better and appreciating the journeys! Thank you!

14. anne says:

Catherine, and all! Thank you so much for the kind words. None of the design would be what it is without Lauren O’Neill on the team. And of course, I’ll be forever thankful to our editor-in-chief Erica Dublin for dreaming up this crazy project and bringing me on board!

Anne aka Prêt à Voyager

15. Such a gorgeous piece that I can’t stop flipping through! I’m truly honoured to be a part of the pilot issue and I look forward to many more beautiful editions to come. Thanks ladies!