living in: twin peaks

by

To call David Lynch’s 1990 TV show Twin Peaks a cult classic would be an understatement, a disrespect to the thousands who worship at the shrine of Agent Dale Cooper and the small Washington town he investigates. When the homecoming queen winds up in a body bag, the town’s thin veneer of respectability shatters, leaving TV viewers all over the world asking, Who killed Laura Palmer? — Amy Merrick

1. Vintage Framed Painting, $15; 2. Who Killed Laura Palmer Button, $1.75; 3. Best Friends Necklace, $23; 4. Cinnabar Mug, $13; 5. Canon A-1. $149; 6. Leather Diary, $79; 7. 1960s Plaid Skirt, $88; 8. Hancock and Moore Barstool; 9. Cherry Pie; 10. Bass Antonoff Saddle Shoes, $150

The full post continues after the jump . . .

With piles of donuts and wool plaid, armloads of logs and cups of coffee, Twin Peaks portrays the Pacific Northwest as cozy but surreal. Who wouldn’t want to share a slice of pie with Cooper or spend a night at the Great Northern Hotel? As along as I can curl up on the sidelines, I’m happy to watch the mystery unfold in all its melodramatic glory.

1. Dozen of Doughnuts, $12; 2. Log Set, $13; 3. Handmade Burl Bowl, $124; 4. Oliver Peoples “Edwin” Glasses; 5. Legend of Fogwoman, $130; 6. West Elm Zigzag Rug, $49+; 7. Sheriff’s Department Badge, available in May; 8. Coffee Carafe, $16; 9. Cassette Recorder, $21

1. love this post! twin peaks was my first “serious” movie (i was 10!!) and it changed somehow my way of seeing life. thanks for sharing this!

2. dorotheabrook says:

Loved Twin Peaks, love this post. Not so sure I’d want to enter the dream sequence. Some pretty frightening things happen there and even decorating to match it gives me the willies.

3. amanda says:

Yes! Yes, yes yes! Thank you. So much material to choose from with this Living In. I think you did a bang-up job, and appreciate that you didn’t include any spoiler items…like poker chips.

4. OH MAN. You can tell by the number of responses to this one, that Twin Peaks hits a nerve with many, many folks….

This show was my FAVOURITE show on tv for years! I stumbled upon the first creepy episode by accident, watching late night tv in my parents’ room one night. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was electrified! David Lynch is brilliant.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. :o)

Heidi

5. Caroline says:

THIS IS MY FAVORITE!!!!

6. dfab says:

I love this! Becca, I put together a dream sequence room for Twin Peaks on my blog, The Frugal Materialist:

7. Corinna says:

Must be something in the air… I started watching Twin Peaks last week, and know of three other people who have as well — all independently, without discussing it…some of the people don’t even know each other. And now to see this. Definitely something in the air. Nice work on pulling it together, by the way. Good choices.

8. Sam Pisano says:

ha ha brilliant timing…i woke up the other morning and had one of those moments when you wish you could return to a great dream…i was being chased into the ladies toilet of a Belgian dive bar by twin male little people wielding silver hand whisks (i have NO idea where it came from but it was brilliant, if a little creepy!). as i woke i thought..mmm..must watch Twin Peaks again! great post – thanks!

9. lua says:

Remember this when I was in school but never watched it. As for plaid being desirable…well, I still wear a bit of it and get compliments, although I wear Jpnse Rock label that has a bit of a punk flavour to it with a bit of sweetness so…and I still wear my black watch skirt with the pin in it. There’s your answer, that gets comps too.

Anyway, thanks for doing this, I like the comments even more than the pics.

10. Julie says:

Perfect collection is perfect. And gives me the willies just looking at it. Thanks so much for featuring my vintage paint-by-number painting. I feel like a celebrity just said Hi! to me.

11. Em says:

I KNEW I’d seen that vintage painting before – here on Design Sponge! From one of my favourite Before and Afters the wall mural: http://www.designsponge.com/2010/03/before-after-scott-cheryls-mural-wall.html

12. Wet Chi says:

Twin Peaks is wonderful. Every scene seemed so deliberate, crafted, and well shot, often referential. Aren’t those rows of donuts a Wayne Thiebaud still life lol.

13. Stefani says:

This post is all too coincidental as I just finished episode 30 and am suffering a bit of post-Twin Peaks withdrawal. Seriously makes me want to pack it all in and live in a log cabin the woods decorated with Native American prints! Creepy yet ethereal, no episode of TP was predictable or boring…I’m just waiting for the second series to come out.

14. I’m so happy to see this ‘Living In’. A friend’s birthday party had a ‘Twin Peaks’ theme so I went as bonkers Nadine with an eye-patch. I love Audrey’s style – so feminine and sexy. Great post!

15. EmmyL says:

I have been rewatching Twin Peaks recently. Wow, the show just oozes style! Perfect timing.

16. How weird? I didn’t watch Twin Peaks the first time around, for whatever reason I can’t remember. But my husband did. We saw it on Netflix and he suggested we watch it because I would love the atmosphere and interiors. Well, I do…and so many others do too!

17. sherri says:

oh how I miss the log lady

18. viola says:

Twin Peaks was the TV event of the 90s. Def. A watch it with your bf. Andrea, your Halloween show was classy! The soundtrack is the best music ever. Julee Cruse’s voice is so haunting. You felt like you were one of the kids of Twin Peaks when you watch it. Outsider 90s grunge.

19. Crystal says:

My boyfriend and I just started watching Twin Peaks on Netflix last week! So timely that I saw this post right now as I am halfway through the second season and OBSESSED! There’s this one scene with a backwards talking dwarf that I have had to rewatch again and again. You all must check it out!

20. Kristi says:

Nuts for this! Super Post!Very spooky, because I’ve been on a Twin Peaks kick for a few weeks now…drifting off each night to the Twin Peaks soundtrack

21. Diane says:

oh my gosh great picks! what a great show this was! I recently rewatched it all on Netflix and it was just as good as back then…a classic indeed!

22. annie campos says:

great show!! if anyone is ever in the North Bend WA area, you can get a delicious cherry pie and a ‘damn fine cup of coffee’ at Tweed’s (where they filmed in the diner).

23. 75Heather says:

I totally squee’d like a tween-age girl when I saw this! Love, love, love Twin Peaks and just rewatched the whole series a couple of months ago. Even though the Black Lodge scenes in the final episode terrified me, I still love the style. *sigh* Such a great show.

24. k says:

My boyfriend and I named our cats Pete and Diane. Cooper is reserved for a future doggy. I’ve been wondering when you guys would do a “Living In” for Twin Peaks. No owls, though? :)

25. Yay! For anyone living in Williamsburg, Brooklyn Nitehawk cinema is showing 2 episodes every tuesday night in their upstairs bar. I’m hoping for a related cocktail!

26. Courtenay says:

I love this! You should do a Living in: Wild at Heart.

27. Herringbone says:

Pig made of cheese, Brie sandwich…mmm Twin Peaks really is for cheeselovers haha.
    I was so looking forward to this post. Thank you Amy.
    More TP images here: http://herringbonemallord.blogspot.com/search/label/twin%20peaks